Growing in 3rd World Conditions (Cuba) att #2

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rasterman

rasterman

sure then explain me why there no difference for me in plant growth with 20 % rh 40-50% rh 70% rh do not impact that significantly growth rate compared to lot of others factor imho.

i have absolute no control with temperature and humidity here, depending the weather and the seasons indoor being in a small appartement
my condition can vary a lot and believe me i m not seeing any visible/noticeable difference in growth rate with signifiant variations regarding temp and humidity all years long.
I've noticed my plants do much better in veg when I can get them above 40% humidity. It's very dry here and I don't use a humidifier. I have a fan turn on when the temperature gets to 80°F so on days when at least one plant has been watered (which is pretty much any day) humidity bounces back and forth between 25% and 50% and they do much better.

Now that the tent is in flower I do the same thing. It's hotter now, so having my fan sensor set to 84° now keeps humidity in the 35% range.

rasterman

rasterman

I did think about this actually, but I was worried about the high temperature inside the dome while I sleep, since their cycle is now 6am to Midnight (18hrs) I thought having the light so close to a plastic dome would burn them inside.
It should be fine with a dome as long as your light is high enough and it looks like it is.

rasterman

rasterman

I'm in the provincial capital city this is the weather here now.View attachment 2004639
I'm still drier than you probably most of the time. 34% isn't perfect for veg, but they'll still be healthy and happy. Just slower. I don't use a humidifier, but do water enough that usually there's a wet pot in the tent and that actually helps quite a bit. So you might look into watering on alternate days too.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Day #4

Well so far the plants are coming along nicely, the only issue I'm having is the top soil it's keeps drying fairly quickly because of the fan in there, this morning I watered with just rain water until I had run off. I'm going to leave them unattended for a while without the fan to see how long the soil retains the water and moisture. These are the little girls so far.

IMG 20230708 1153582
IMG 20230708 1154062

B

BillyBanchan

Also final detail about today, I went in there just now that the soil is now fully watered and I added the domes... The light is still 16 inches above the seedling tops, and from the top of the domes it's about 12 inches idk if that is pertinent information.View attachment 2005055
A few holes in those domes may be warranted, depending on if you raise them a few times a day or not for air exchange.

Looking good so far! Be sure to check the soil's moisture down to the first knuckle of your finger before deciding on water. Overwatering is one of the most common problems with seedlings. ✌🏻

Zerberus

Zerberus

I will add 4 holes in each, should I do top or sides of the dome?
A few holes in those domes may be warranted, depending on if you raise them a few times a day or not for air exchange.

Looking good so far! Be sure to check the soil's moisture down to the first knuckle of your finger before deciding on water. Overwatering is one of the most common problems with seedlings. ✌🏻

Zerberus

Zerberus

Day #6

The pot that is closer to the fan is drying up quickly so I will be top watering every 2 days, the other one will stay on a 3 day cycle.

I still have them under the domes so please let me know when I should remove them, since I have no clue.

These are the plants today, also my general hydroponics nutrients will arrive on the 20th so I'll have something to feed the plants without issues.

IMG 20230710 1020152
IMG 20230710 1020192

cobblestoner

cobblestoner

Day #6

The pot that is closer to the fan is drying up quickly so I will be top watering every 2 days, the other one will stay on a 3 day cycle.

I still have them under the domes so please let me know when I should remove them, since I have no clue.

These are the plants today, also my general hydroponics nutrients will arrive on the 20th so I'll have something to feed the plants without issues.

View attachment 2006118View attachment 2006123
I give my outdoor seedlings like half the day under the cup for a week or two just for a little boost. Though I grow more veggies than herb lol.
Looking good though, just sit back n watch her grow.

rasterman

rasterman

Day #6

View attachment 2006118View attachment 2006123
They should be okay now. You could uncover them when you can come check on them after a couple of hours.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Day #7

Guys quick question, I know it's probably because of the fan I have in there but let me just make sure with you guys since y'all are the experts ☺️....

So the leaves are curling a lot on the plant that's closest to where the fan is blowing, now the fan isn't directly on the plants it's blowing into the wall, and the air bouncing back is hitting the seedlings, and it's hitting one more than the other...

The seedling that's getting most of the fans indirect airflow is this one...
IMG 20230711 1617282
IMG 20230711 1617332

As you can see those leaves have really ugly twisted leaves, now my question is this... Can this be a health hazard towards the plant? Is it a symptom of stressed out leaves because of the fan? Should I just turn off the fan for now and use it later on when true leaves develop? I don't want to add unnecessary stress to the plants, what are your opinions??

This is the plant that's further away from the airflow and it does have a very small twist on it but not as bad. This plant also gets shaken by the airflow but it very minimal compared to the first.

IMG 20230711 1617382

B

BillyBanchan

The most gentle of breezes.... Nothing should be physically moving a little seedling like that. You want air circulation, not airflow.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Day #8

So plants look much more healthy and happy without the fan blowing in there, I also rotated the plants under the light. I didn't water them yet, I only sprayed top water to raise the humidity a bit, but I will have to water them later tonight...

So after a dozen calls and asking for a hundred favors, it seems impossible for me to get my hands on perlite or anything else used in mainstream growing groups, however I did speak with the owner of a Orchid farm in Havana and he told me charcoal is a very good substitute to give the soil aeration, so I will be mixing it into one of my pots to test it out, let me know if you have any information or experience with it 🙏🏻, other than that, I would like to add that I added a little bit of coconut water (about 30ml) to 1 liter of water, and I will be using it today on the soil since it is getting compacted and I have read it strengthes the roots and helps promote healthy growth. Please give me all your input and advice, it's greatly appreciated.

IMG 20230713 130047
IMG 20230713 130042

GGOGZin

GGOGZin

Day #8

So plants look much more healthy and happy without the fan blowing in there, I also rotated the plants under the light. I didn't water them yet, I only sprayed top water to raise the humidity a bit, but I will have to water them later tonight...

So after a dozen calls and asking for a hundred favors, it seems impossible for me to get my hands on perlite or anything else used in mainstream growing groups, however I did speak with the owner of a Orchid farm in Havana and he told me charcoal is a very good substitute to give the soil aeration, so I will be mixing it into one of my pots to test it out, let me know if you have any information or experience with it 🙏🏻, other than that, I would like to add that I added a little bit of coconut water (about 30ml) to 1 liter of water, and I will be using it today on the soil since it is getting compacted and I have read it strengthes the roots and helps promote healthy growth. Please give me all your input and advice, it's greatly appreciated.

View attachment 2007924View attachment 2007928
If I’m not mistaken, once charcoal gets wet it becomes activated carbon. Not sure if it would, but I know that activated carbon is known to absorb “impurities” etc, and I wonder if it might hijack any/some of the nutes you’d add to your soil. Im sure someone here might have tried it but that would be my word of caution I guess

Top Bottom