Growing in 3rd World Conditions.

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Did you amend with anything at all? I know you where finding some soils to use, but plain soils don’t have much in terms as nutrients, Have you given any kind of neuts to her yet of any kind?

Also about the flimsy stem, do you have a fan in the room, and if it is, are the leaves just slightly blowing back and forth? You want that small amount of breeze, not the fan pointing at the plant but at a wall or corner near it that will reflect some of the wind on it, it’ll strengthen the stem.

She dosent look lankey or anything really, just starting to be slightly light colored like she’s wanting some nitrogen

Take a few pics of her from the side and top, what’s her height atm? Kinda hard to tell from the pic

Zerberus

Zerberus

Did you amend with anything at all? I know you where finding some soils to use, but plain soils don’t have much in terms as nutrients, Have you given any kind of neuts to her yet of any kind?

Also about the flimsy stem, do you have a fan in the room, and if it is, are the leaves just slightly blowing back and forth? You want that small amount of breeze, not the fan pointing at the plant but at a wall or corner near it that will reflect some of the wind on it, it’ll strengthen the stem.

She dosent look lankey or anything really, just starting to be slightly light colored like she’s wanting some nitrogen

Take a few pics of her from the side and top, what’s her height atm? Kinda hard to tell from the pic
She's just on water, 4/6 hours of direct sunlight + the rest of the 16 hours on artificial 6500k light to complete the cycle.

I do put her outside inside a much larger pot that prevents direct airflow from hitting her but moves her leaves enough to strengthen her.

I haven't given her any nutes yet, not even L.A.B for the soil, i will start treating with LAB in next watering day (tomorrow)

She's 2.5 inches tall or about 7-8Cm....

I'll post some more pics now here...
IMG 20230415 170829
IMG 20230415 170845
IMG 20230415 170906

growsince79

growsince79

She's just on water, 4/6 hours of direct sunlight + the rest of the 16 hours on artificial 6500k light to complete the cycle.

I do put her outside inside a much larger pot that prevents direct airflow from hitting her but moves her leaves enough to strengthen her.

I haven't given her any nutes yet, not even L.A.B for the soil, i will start treating with LAB in next watering day (tomorrow)

She's 2.5 inches tall or about 7-8Cm....

I'll post some more pics now here...View attachment 1351166View attachment 1351168View attachment 1351171
If its been outside that long it probably already has bugs.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Where i put here is well above ground level, i always put her in my roof it's about 40 feet from the ground, and there's no vegetation there, plus I'm in the middle of a downtown area, there's not many trees or plants around, is it still likely shes gotten some bugs from outside?
If its been outside that long it probably already has bugs.

P

PahPahCee

You’re fine. Don’t worry about bugs until you have a reason to worry about it. To counter this - I got thrips indoors a lil while back. I moved some plants outside and the rest of the inside plants got treated with spinosad, neem, and pyrethrin. The outside plants with no IPM cleared up quick. Beneficial insects destroyed the thrip infestation way before I was able to kill them off with sprays.

You do want to get some IPM regimen for prevention.

(p.s. no pyrethrin or spinosad outdoors it will kill our bee friends).

Zerberus

Zerberus

Hey guys woke up today, took a look at the plant and i noticed the bottom two leaves of the seedling starting to show some yellowish coloring (not the cotyledons) i think it might be slight nitrogen deficiency, so i added 4 drops of L.A.B and and 30:1 of water and urine (for nitrogen boost), into today's water 1 CUP (only watered until drops drained from the bottom)... I decided to go with a 30:1 ratio because i don't want to burn the plant, also avoided watering directly over her roots, just want to see how it reacts to the slight nitrogen boost, if it helps with her coloring then I'll repeat the same process in her next watering day. Here are some pictures.

Apart from that very slight yellowish coloring in the bottom two leaves, she seems healthy and happy it's only the bottom leaves that are a little droopy, hopefully this helps her a bit until i transfer her into a bigger pot with home made nutrient rich soil.

day # 28 since planted. (Photoperiod)

Let me know if there's any home remedies you guys might now of, or any insight, help and input is always welcome.

@PahPahCee @Cirroji @Mikedin

IMG 20230418 102710
IMG 20230418 102715
IMG 20230418 102723

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
In my opinion, you need to find some better soil. Kind of looks like it’s going nowhere, fast. And the translucent cup may not be the best option. Keep plugging away.

Zerberus

Zerberus

In my opinion, you need to find some better soil. Kind of looks like it’s going nowhere, fast. And the translucent cup may not be the best option. Keep plugging away.
I have a better soil i made myself, i put around 1/5th styrofoam and around 1/4th rice hulls for better aeration, I'm just waiting for the seedling to be a little bigger before i transplant into the other soil. I will also use a large 5 gallon plastic flower vase that isn't transparent to better protect the roots from sunlight.

This is the first time i have ever tried to grow cannabis so I'm making a lot of mistakes along the way, but I'm learning quickly.

Another downside is the country im in, I'm basically going to have to grow it using Jadam and KNF techniques, and nutrients.

But I'm determined to see this through, just gotta learn as much as I can, and perfect the process around my circumstances.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Been watching the whole thing. Don’t mean any disrespect. all you can do is give it your best shot! I think the roof looks good. Also a good place to start a few compost bins in case you decide to continue. military bases for sourcing some of the basics? just thinking out loud. Hope the new soil pans out.👍

Zerberus

Zerberus

Been watching the whole thing. Don’t mean any disrespect. all you can do is give it your best shot! I think the roof looks good. Also a good place to start a few compost bins in case you decide to continue. military bases for sourcing some of the basics? just thinking out loud. Hope the new soil pans out.👍
I will start to compost this weekend but i will mostly be feeding the plant, blood meals, bone meals, banana water and a few other natural nutrients for now until my compost is ready, just gotta hold on for at least two more months until the grow light, pH, temp, and humidity meters, nutrients, pest killers, and some other stuff i ordered from Amazon get here.

I think i can manage the plant fairly well until all those things get here with what i have learned from you guys and the information i have gathered online.

The only thing I'm scared about is pH levels and maintaining humidity levels right now, since without the proper equipment it's almost impossible to do.

Regarding the military bases, i can't even get close to them because since i am a US citizen, if they catch me trying to source anything out of them i could be facing quite a complicated series of questions. What i will be using for compost bins are giant 20 gal paint buckets that have plastic lids on them.

Adapt, overcome, persevere!

Your input is always welcome, wether it's positive or negative, like i said I'm willing to learn and you all have more experience. So if you see me doing something wrong please don't hold back, let me know.

Thanks for the luck 🤞🏻🍀 i will need every bit of it.

rasterman

rasterman

The only thing I'm scared about is pH levels and maintaining humidity levels right now, since without the proper equipment it's almost impossible to do.
It sounds like you're creating a living soil from what you can source around you, which is a good thing! I don't have blood or bone meal and will probably have to buy some at some point.

With living soil you shouldn't need to worry about PH - that should be self-regulating as long as you take care of the soil.

BTW in following along, I created my own soil and used sand for drainage. That's what I've been planting and up-potting everything into lately. So far everything is growing well, surprisingly. I'll see how they look going into flower. That's the big test.

Zerberus

Zerberus

It sounds like you're creating a living soil from what you can source around you, which is a good thing! I don't have blood or bone meal and will probably have to buy some at some point.

With living soil you shouldn't need to worry about PH - that should be self-regulating as long as you take care of the soil.

BTW in following along, I created my own soil and used sand for drainage. That's what I've been planting and up-potting everything into lately. So far everything is growing well, surprisingly. I'll see how they look going into flower. That's the big test.
Sand for aeration? Can you post a picture I'm curious to see how that works and looks, i would have thought that sand compacts together and prevents proper water distribution... Also what ratio of sand/soil are you using?

Is it just regular beach sand?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Sand for aeration? Can you post a picture I'm curious to see how that works and looks, i would have thought that sand compacts together and prevents proper water distribution... Also what ratio of sand/soil are you using?

Regular beach sand, depending on where its sourced might contain an abundance of salt. You can run water through the sand to help with that salt build up.

While sand may not always be ideal (it's heavy but doesn't really compact), it does allow for for good drainage so it is worth considering especially since it's probably something you have in abundance. I'm more concerned about your plants running out of food before your compost is ready. A couple of things come to mind that might help ... live stock/horse manure added to the compost pile. The other is adding earth worms to your compost pile if they are available on the island.

S

Stonemason7767

I have a better soil i made myself, i put around 1/5th styrofoam and around 1/4th rice hulls for better aeration, I'm just waiting for the seedling to be a little bigger before i transplant into the other soil. I will also use a large 5 gallon plastic flower vase that isn't transparent to better protect the roots from sunlight.

This is the first time i have ever tried to grow cannabis so I'm making a lot of mistakes along the way, but I'm learning quickly.

Another downside is the country im in, I'm basically going to have to grow it using Jadam and KNF techniques, and nutrients.

But I'm determined to see this through, just gotta learn as much as I can, and perfect the process around my circumstances.
No downside growing with knf nutes.thats all I use and my plants turn out amazing.

rasterman

rasterman

Yes, just regular beach sand. I just eyeballed it but about 1/3 sand to media. I mixed it with some "organic outdoor potting soil" I bought last summer that was mostly just organic matter that hadn't completely composted and added some other amendments from Buildasoil to make it complete.

20230420 162717
20230420 162443
20230420 162348
20230420 162215
Last edited:
Zerberus

Zerberus

Day #31 Since planted (photoperiod)

Giving her 4-6 hours of natural sunlight + the rest of the cycle on 6500k light, no humidity or temperature controls, no way to measure pH, but it looks happy so far.

The bottom two leaves (above the cotyledons have stopped yellowing, but they are still droopy, any ideas on why?

She's measuring 2.5 inches, so i raised the lights to about 3 inches above the top, don't want to burn her out.

In about two weeks I will transplant her into another medium with better aeration and rich in home made green juice, and egg shells I'll move her first ñ into a bigger 1 gallon pot so she can continue to develop both indoors and outdoors, but further down the line I'll just keep her outdoors permanently in a bigger 5 Gallon Vase.

Here are some pictures, can someone tell me why the bottom leaves are droopy?
IMG 20230421 100423
IMG 20230421 100429

rasterman

rasterman

Regular beach sand, depending on where its sourced might contain an abundance of salt. You can run water through the sand to help with that salt build up.

While sand may not always be ideal (it's heavy but doesn't really compact), it does allow for for good drainage so it is worth considering especially since it's probably something you have in abundance. I'm more concerned about your plants running out of food before your compost is ready. A couple of things come to mind that might help ... live stock/horse manure added to the compost pile. The other is adding earth worms to your compost pile if they are available on the island.
Rabbit poop is supposed to be ok without composting first - horse poop is good too. I have noticed that using sand instead of perlite it's harder to tell if water is needed because sand is so much heavier.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Rabbit poop is supposed to be ok without composting first - horse poop is good too. I have noticed that using sand instead of perlite it's harder to tell if water is needed because sand is so much heavier.
I think tonight I'm going to start preparing a small fish meal for this stage of the plant, i read the NPK is 10-2-2 which should be what she needs now, I'll do more research when I get back later today.

P

PahPahCee

Looks good. Drooping could be caused by over watering. I wouldn’t be concerned since the rest of the plant looks happy.

Before you use any manures that you collected you need to make sure it’s clean. One easy trick is to collect a few worms and throw em in your manure. If they die (should be within a day) then there is dewormer in the manure still. You don’t want to use it for another few months in this case.

since we are playing high stakes with only one plant I would test any new fertilizers or manures you collect on a few random plants like a tomato or whatever. Give it a week or two and see how they respond.

Go collect some kelp! Can’t recommend kelp enough.

Does aloe grow on the island? That is another amazing plant to use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom