Growing in an oven next week.

• Thread starter AZsunfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

I started this auto outdoors here in Phoenix and it’s been loving the 90’s and low 100’s, but next week it’s hitting 117! I’m afraid it will not love this and get stunted or worse. Anyone have similar experiences growing this hot outside?

This is my first “successful” grow with an auto. My last six (yes six) have been sad and mediocre. I finally read the forums and grow journals and pretty much copied some brilliant people to get this far. I started from seed in the 3 gallon mesh pot outdoors and it did what it was supposed to do. It’s at 7 weeks in FFOF and I started nutes 2 weeks ago (AN products). I do light nutes every other watering and I am going to add silica blast on my next plain water and keep using it on plain water additions. Do you think she’ll be ok or am I going to have to bring it inside? I leave outside during day under 40% shade and she goes under LED’s in my garage at night where it is equally hot AF. I really want this one to work out. Thanks ya’ll.

Growing in an oven next week
freezeland2

freezeland2

Installing a window ac or portable ac an option for the garage? 117 is pretty hot for a plant IMO.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Naw, no money for that stuff! I got a wife and 2 girls, I’m lucky if I have an extra few bucks for a haircut, lol. It’s Pineapple Express auto, I’m hoping for the best. I keep the pot in the ground to keep the roots somewhat cool. I might leave it outside overnight and go to a 12/12 to give it a little break overnight. Fun/nervous experiment I guess.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Can you put up a temporary awning for the sun? Burlap or any loose-knit kind of fabric could work. A cheap frame with scrap wood, with the burlap attached with a staple gun would work fine.
Spraying with water (burlap, soil, plant and all) will also keep temperatures down.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

It’s 108 with 8% humidity right now and leaves are pointing to the sky asking for more. I added big bud 2 feeds ago and she’s growing like a…well you know. I’ll post one more time when we hit 117 to see how things are going but I’m guessing it’ll be fine under the 40% shade.. We just legalized in Phoenix so hopefully people are growing and learning under this giant Mfer LED in the sky.

Ponky

Ponky

I would set up a cheap misting system . The kind that goes under a pation umbrella. Or one of those fan and barrel turbo misters. They drop the temperature really well.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I agree with above get it in shade and mist occasionally don't mist if you can't get it out of direct sunlight, and just make sure you don't let the pot dry out

freezeland2

freezeland2

I would set up a cheap misting system . The kind that goes under a pation umbrella. Or one of those fan and barrel turbo misters. They drop the temperature really well.

I have never had a mister running on a plant but that is an excellent idea. I can see that working well in a shaded area with a fan. I was at a cookout last year at a neighbor’s house and he had one going on his deck in the shade. It was 15 - 20 degrees cooler in that misted area.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Northern sac valley here. Almost as hot. You shouldn’t have a problem. They are big enough to handle pretty much anything. Don’t go ape shit changing things up on them. Next time maybe the lightest color pots you can find. And some straw on top. Just keep an eye on them. Too bad that’s not a photo. I’ll bet you could coax Monster out of that weather. Not too late to go get a clone and give it a try. Good luck.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Cool oldchucky, I just started out this season and I think I’m going to try a photo next spring. Yes, I’ve learned these autos hate changes. The only thing I’m going to do different is do a midday water vs a morning water. I’m going to add cool room temp water when the sun is most intense to keep the roots happy. June monsoon weather is going to ramp up here in a couple weeks to raise the humidity, the growing flowers should love that too.

Honestly as a first timer looking at the forums and growweedeasy site 99% of the chatter is all about indoor growing. All the money involved in tents and lights and fans was super discouraging and I almost said fuck it. I’m an old homebrewer and I’ve tried to grow hops out here with no luck so I was pretty down on growing weed. I figured just do Auto’s super early before the June heat up. Now that I now most Sativas live for that extreme light I’m going to have at it. I wish dispensaries out here would hear up toward outdoor growing, it could be done 9-10 months out of the year. Indoor growing is so precise with control but it’s getting a bad rap now from its energy consumption and CO2 output. If this was federally legalized Phoenix or maybe more northern AZ could have some really fine outdoor grow operations and could export to other states. The water demand isn’t ideal for our drought conditions tho. This is as fun as home brewing for sure tho! Just have to be a bit more patient, like some good ole lagering. Haha, cheers!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Right on Az! You have two things in abundance down there, sunshine and dry air. So why not exploit them. Don’t rule out kush. Some of them love the sun and the heat. You’re doing great so far! And having fun is what it’s all about. At least for some of us. I like to equate it to fishing. Sometimes you get skunked. Sometimes your limit out.But it’s always fun going!

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Last post on the subject… my car is 124, outside is 118 with 8% humidity and about 114 in the shade. A couple fan leaves on the bottom have gotten a bit droopy, some leaves have actually turned away from the slowly falling sun and the higher up leaves are starting to cup upwards. It’s not bad but for the first time is has shown itself to be uncomfortable. 3 more days of this heatwave then back to under 110. Hopefully no major setbacks, fingers crossed. F this heatwave tho, too early for this.

815CE925 4528 450E 8F20 A3E485C5492A
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yo, Sundevil! Are you managing to nurse them through? They get kind of used to it I guess.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Lol, F them devils, i love coach Herm tho! No man, I left for big bear for 4 days and when I came back the bottom 1/3 of the plant dropped all the leaves. The heat wave ended on the day I got back and it seems to be ok now, I just don’t know if there are enough leaves on the top to get the buds to fatten up. And actually some of the tips of the pistils turned brown like they burned. I made a rookie mistake thinking it was low N and added to much on the next feed so it’s a little pissed off right now. I flushed with good water and it seems fine but I think the buds are going to be stunted. I learned a lot tho so I’m not pissed, just a little bummed. My brother has a friend who grows on the reservation out by Palm Springs and I reached out to him about what strains survive in the heat. It gets in the 120’s out there. He said he doesn’t grow auto’s but he lost 20 plants that were in 3 and 5 gal pots that same weekend (it hit 124 at his place). He told me all his photos are thriving in his beds and 45 gal sacks. He said it’s all about keeping the roots cool and your good to go. He’s a pro and looking at his insta page he’s got trade secrets that he’s not telling me tho, lol! I orders a few photo seeds and I’m going to try to get them in the ground while monsoon season is starting and hopefully they get established before it heats up again. It took me a couple years to brew good beer so I’m being patient with my new hobby. Cheers man, how’s your grow going?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Slow. I think I got sent the wrong seeds and they turned out to be mostly autos. I’ve got one that looks pretty good looks healthy at least but I just put them out in the heat and either they sink or swim. But I think he’s right about keeping the routes cool water the hell out of it and maybe throws something light colored on top of it. Weather here is pretty much like what you have next week I’ll triple digits. I’m a flounder grower. Flounder from one fuck up or emergency to the next and manage to get some bud at the end of the year. Well hang in there. Talk at you later.

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Lol, F them devils, i love coach Herm tho! No man, I left for big bear for 4 days and when I came back the bottom 1/3 of the plant dropped all the leaves. The heat wave ended on the day I got back and it seems to be ok now, I just don’t know if there are enough leaves on the top to get the buds to fatten up. And actually some of the tips of the pistils turned brown like they burned. I made a rookie mistake thinking it was low N and added to much on the next feed so it’s a little pissed off right now. I flushed with good water and it seems fine but I think the buds are going to be stunted. I learned a lot tho so I’m not pissed, just a little bummed. My brother has a friend who grows on the reservation out by Palm Springs and I reached out to him about what strains survive in the heat. It gets in the 120’s out there. He said he doesn’t grow auto’s but he lost 20 plants that were in 3 and 5 gal pots that same weekend (it hit 124 at his place). He told me all his photos are thriving in his beds and 45 gal sacks. He said it’s all about keeping the roots cool and your good to go. He’s a pro and looking at his insta page he’s got trade secrets that he’s not telling me tho, lol! I orders a few photo seeds and I’m going to try to get them in the ground while monsoon season is starting and hopefully they get established before it heats up again. It took me a couple years to brew good beer so I’m being patient with my new hobby. Cheers man, how’s your grow going?
So how would you do it normaly in the desert? Do you hang those shade cloths over the plants to cut down on the sun?

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

It’s terrifying and NOBODY down here is paying attention to lake mead. If the damn looses power wtf are people going to do? Keep watering your shitty lawns at your golf courses and Scottsdale McMansions. Time to fire up the desal plant in southern AZ and get ready to pay triple for your water and watch everything go up$$$$$$.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

It’s 108 with 8% humidity right now and leaves are pointing to the sky asking for more. I added big bud 2 feeds ago and she’s growing like a…well you know. I’ll post one more time when we hit 117 to see how things are going but I’m guessing it’ll be fine under the 40% shade.. We just legalized in Phoenix so hopefully people are growing and learning under this giant Mfer LED in the sky.
You’re using Big Bud why? That plant is nowhere near time for that. Read the instructions on the bottle.

Top Bottom