Growing Renter's Beware! Apt's or Houses

• Thread starter ReelBusy1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you grow where you live? If Yes... Choose one....(Answers are not public)

• I rent an Apt (and I have a death wish)

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • I rent a house, just to live on the edge

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • I own a house with no land to grow on not even a good backyard

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • I own a house and 40 acres bitches so suck it.

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • I live in the woods next to my field in season (but I seem to have good Wi-Fi...?)

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
P

Pandaman

I know some landlords that are scummy, my apt is in REAP now because of it. In the last two years I have investigated the laws and the rights of tenants and I think renters have more legal rights than what others may think. Not saying anyone is wrong, I just think that a minor investigation on your part may at least give you a little piece of mind.

I'm in Los Angeles <-- Nuff said... (almost)

If an owner/landlord enters your property without proof that there was an emergency, you can legally have that person arrested and charged for breaking n' entering, trespassing and a few other big crimes... Most are felonies.

While the Owner does "Own" the property, he cannot do with it as he/she pleases. He still must obey the law, and the law is in your favor. To those in L.A., I highly recommend you get the "Renters Handbook". You can get one for free at your local LAHD (Los Angeles Housing Department). I may be able to upload a digital version, but it's always good to have documented proof of your rights on hand.

Example: 1.5 years went by and my scumlord (landlord) said that he was raising my rent by about 12%. I told him straight away that if he wanted me to pay more rent, he would have to send me a signed document by mail stating exactly what his intentions were. I followed that up with saying something like "... I just like to have everything documented in case I need it, like for taxes and stuff. (some BS that sounds legit)"

He mailed the letter and it stated what he told me and he signed it. Looking at my (up-to-date) Renters Handbook, it stated clearly that for this year, a landlord could not raise the rent more than 4% unless he was making upgrades that benefited the renter.

I made a photocopy of the exact page and sent it by certified mail ($5). Long story short (sorry), the landlord hadn't told LAHD about his tenants moving in or out over several years and LAHD sent a letter to him explaining that if he did not register his apartment to meet current regulations, they would force him to accept the last known (LAHD's records) rent that WAS registered AND he would not be able to legally raise the rent for whatever reason for two years.

LAHD goes to bat for it's renters and they can play devastating Hard Ball. In my case, LAHD reported my landlord to REAP and the LA Assistant District Attorney. REAP then froze the apartment to protect the tenants from further harassment.

If you are legal (cert) and are not breaking the limits (regardless if the limits have been repealed) then in the eyes of the "City's Police Officers", you have not committed a crime.

Feds and DEA... <-- No idea.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps a little just in this one aspect.

Oh! I wanted to add one more thing; It is discriminatory for anyone to ask personal questions about your health with the intent to judge you, based on your answer. We're not talking about Access Ramps for your wheelchair here...

So, if the person (whomever) starts asking you illegal questions... Lie. Simple as that. What are they going to do AFTER you move in and realize you lied? Evict you? I don't think so. 3 day and even 30 day evictions are illegal in LA. Lying to someones face (non-law enforcement) is not illegal.

Think about it... If it's ok for a landlord to ask about your medical history, then he could also ask you if you a problem with your prostate or perhaps an erectile dysfunction. PATIENT/DOCTOR CONFIDENTIALITY. Who the hell does a landlord think they are demanding something that you have protected by law?

ALL LANDLORDS/OWNERS MUST GET PERMISSION FROM THE COURT TO EVICT YOU. (In Los Angeles and if you fall into the jurisdiction of the LAHD - Check for to make sure)

Again, sorry for the long post.

Peace

fractal

fractal

Excellent post pandaman!

I was gone over christmas vacation for 4 days, when I was going to school at HSU. I left my veg setup running with a 600 watter and auto watering.

My landlord was suspicious about the electric usage and the dirty bitch went into my apartment without my permission and only with the intent to see what i was doing in there.

Then she evicted me and also wanted me to pay her 800 bucks for the electricity I had used. This sound like a perfect example of illegal entry, wish I had known at the time.

I am still confused about growing though. It is federally illegal, but are landlords able to state "tenants must follow federal law" or only "must follow state law" ?

If you deny you are a grower, and then you start growing a legal amount under 99 plants in California can the landowner evict you because of that? It is a grey area, especially if you cannot afford to hire a lawyer.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

DAmn good info Panda.. wish I would of known all this several yrs ago..

fractal

fractal

I just was told a pretty pathetic story about a renter in the emerald triangle, renting a mountain house for $2k a month which was already almost twice what it should be. The greedy landlord sees their crop and decides he wants a cut and now the rent is $3k a month. And they went for it! :tmi scandalous!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Different areas have different laws, but the real point(s) are; Know your rights and apply them. Nolo law library has a great section on landlord-tenant laws for each state.

G

Go Big

What I dont get is that if your in an apartment, just grow an extra quarter pound of weed and then you have the money to at the least rent a house and then you can grow more and save ;)

sensicloud

sensicloud

Surprised to see the highest percentage of posters here are renting and renting an apartment at that! Must be very doable, especially in a house :)

ArthritiSux

ArthritiSux

Its freakin impossible to find a grow rental out here in the triangle.

fractal

fractal

And you know when it all started coming down? 2008 when that dumbass from wisconsin almost blew up a rental house in arcata. He had a huge stash of butane, and a fan fell over starting a fire which nearly lit up the head high stack of cases of butane. It was inevitable, but almost overnight it was like a switch got flipped and every landlord in the triangle suddenly wised up. Today I can't imagine how you could go about finding grow friendly housing out there.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Chemicalbob -- you are correct on all points. However, there is another lawful practice a renter can make use of (but you'd better have renter's insurance), and this to simply change the locks. You do not need the landlord's permission to do this, but you are responsible for any and every thing that may occur because of your action. Also, IIRC, you have to replace the lock or provide all keys to the landlord upon vacating the premises.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you for the correction, Chemicalbob. As we discussed, it seems the law on that particular subject have been changed. :)

sensicloud

sensicloud

Who has been successfully growing in rental situations the longest? I'd like to hear some success stories :)

indonesia

indonesia

The best recommendation for renters is stealth everything out, unless you personally know the person who is renting you the place and they own the building. I got busted almost 2 yrs ago, came home to LEO ripping my place apart and lost thousands in genetics that are complete irreplaceable; It still makes me sick when I think about it. The reason of entry of my apt. was b/c supposedly a fire alarm went off, and they needed to access my apt. That was enough reason to snoop around and boy did they hit the jackpot. I could have bought a new car for the amount of fines and lawyer fees I had to pay and am still paying. I've only gotten smarter and stealth is a MUST when being a renter.
my basement has a door at the top of the stairs and new windows all around. im going to replace the nob on the door so i can lock it. I rent but the only reason i can see the landlord wanting to come inside is if he didnt like us..and thought we might be causing damage to the house...or if he smelled pot all the time... there was nothing on the lease that said i couldnt have a medical grow.... it said i must follow laws but its medical state here....tell us what to do RANDY!!

Dave Meowthews

Dave Meowthews

Who has been successfully growing in rental situations the longest? I'd like to hear some success stories :)
When I first started growing a few years ago, I rented a 2bedroom apartment (3rd floor) and ran a 4x8 tent with 2k in it for a good year and a half.
Had 4 successful crops and finally got out of there and ended up renting a house and within a year my house was broken into.
Moved into another house after the first and ran a few lights with no problems but my girlfriend situation has forced me to again rent an apartment.
This time just a one bedroom on the 3rd floor. First 2 rounds are just 1k but next will be 2 or 3k watts.
Worst thing about doing an apartment grow is getting all your equipment in the apartment without anyone seeing.
Things like scrubbers and having 15 fans in differnenr shapes and sizes, sticks out IMO.
Also bringing home things like Co2 tanks is always fun!

indonesia

indonesia

yeah apartment grows are never a good idea. Ive never had security issues since i started. first one was in an apartment too lol.

HeisenBOG

HeisenBOG

i dont know if anyone posted this but.......
its illegal for your landlord to just show up, to go inside without 24 hours notice that YOU approved of!! You have the right to say NO, not today!

It's also illegal to grow in their apartment, but it's been known to happen. If both the renter and the landlord are breaking the law, who gets in the most trouble? Pascals wager comes to mind :)

straincreation

straincreation

I know some landlords that are scummy, my apt is in REAP now because of it. In the last two years I have investigated the laws and the rights of tenants and I think renters have more legal rights than what others may think. Not saying anyone is wrong, I just think that a minor investigation on your part may at least give you a little piece of mind.

I'm in Los Angeles <-- Nuff said... (almost)

If an owner/landlord enters your property without proof that there was an emergency, you can legally have that person arrested and charged for breaking n' entering, trespassing and a few other big crimes... Most are felonies.

While the Owner does "Own" the property, he cannot do with it as he/she pleases. He still must obey the law, and the law is in your favor. To those in L.A., I highly recommend you get the "Renters Handbook". You can get one for free at your local LAHD (Los Angeles Housing Department). I may be able to upload a digital version, but it's always good to have documented proof of your rights on hand.

Example: 1.5 years went by and my scumlord (landlord) said that he was raising my rent by about 12%. I told him straight away that if he wanted me to pay more rent, he would have to send me a signed document by mail stating exactly what his intentions were. I followed that up with saying something like "... I just like to have everything documented in case I need it, like for taxes and stuff. (some BS that sounds legit)"

He mailed the letter and it stated what he told me and he signed it. Looking at my (up-to-date) Renters Handbook, it stated clearly that for this year, a landlord could not raise the rent more than 4% unless he was making upgrades that benefited the renter.

I made a photocopy of the exact page and sent it by certified mail ($5). Long story short (sorry), the landlord hadn't told LAHD about his tenants moving in or out over several years and LAHD sent a letter to him explaining that if he did not register his apartment to meet current regulations, they would force him to accept the last known (LAHD's records) rent that WAS registered AND he would not be able to legally raise the rent for whatever reason for two years.

LAHD goes to bat for it's renters and they can play devastating Hard Ball. In my case, LAHD reported my landlord to REAP and the LA Assistant District Attorney. REAP then froze the apartment to protect the tenants from further harassment.

If you are legal (cert) and are not breaking the limits (regardless if the limits have been repealed) then in the eyes of the "City's Police Officers", you have not committed a crime.

Feds and DEA... <-- No idea.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps a little just in this one aspect.

Oh! I wanted to add one more thing; It is discriminatory for anyone to ask personal questions about your health with the intent to judge you, based on your answer. We're not talking about Access Ramps for your wheelchair here...

So, if the person (whomever) starts asking you illegal questions... Lie. Simple as that. What are they going to do AFTER you move in and realize you lied? Evict you? I don't think so. 3 day and even 30 day evictions are illegal in LA. Lying to someones face (non-law enforcement) is not illegal.

Think about it... If it's ok for a landlord to ask about your medical history, then he could also ask you if you a problem with your prostate or perhaps an erectile dysfunction. PATIENT/DOCTOR CONFIDENTIALITY. Who the hell does a landlord think they are demanding something that you have protected by law?

ALL LANDLORDS/OWNERS MUST GET PERMISSION FROM THE COURT TO EVICT YOU. (In Los Angeles and if you fall into the jurisdiction of the LAHD - Check for to make sure)

Again, sorry for the long post.

Peace
dont apoligize for that , it was a one of the most informative things ive read on this post. and shared alot of insight on the renters questions that have wandering in my head . and thankfully i live in the LA area awesome man

john martin

john martin

I rent from one super cool dude that has a card of his own.
He does not have keys to my (his) house.
All my grow rooms are both gated, and locked doors individually.
I handle all maintenance and am reimbursed for anything done out of my rent.
Any help I trust and hire to help with roofing, plumbing, etc. he pays for their wages.

He asks no questions, and I always pay rent on time or early. :)

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
In 83 I had a four foot plant in my closet. I came home and it had been moved. The maintenance man had done it saying the next apt had an issue so it was an emergency. Fortunately he kept his mouth shut but we still moved the next month.

Latest posts

Top Bottom