Gypsum Anyone?

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

Use to be! Moved on to quieter pastures. Funny thing how quick beautiful land is bought up by the wealthy and the lessers are pushed to the fringes. How much of Vermont has been deforested since 2000? Mostly to build giant second homes for Long Islanders.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Use to be! Moved on to quieter pastures. Funny thing how quick beautiful land is bought up by the wealthy and the lessers are pushed to the fringes. How much of Vermont has been deforested since 2000? Mostly to build giant second homes for Long Islanders.
yeah sucks that bro, happens everywhere, we are moving because land prices are off the chart and its not economic

Homesteader

Homesteader

I love his book by the way, and his architectural drawings are hands down the best I have seen. That copper downspout didn't pay for itself though:)

Ecompost

Ecompost

I love his book by the way, and his architectural drawings are hands down the best I have seen. That copper downspout didn't pay for itself though:)
some of them had to have the wealthy parents :-)

Homesteader

Homesteader

Most landowners in Vermont do (The capita increases the closer you get to Burlington). I will say most if not all the people I have met in his area have been liked minded and not what you get further north regardless of their bank account. Some of the best skiers/riders on the planet are in a 25 mile radius of him as well (at least until they head west).

S

Slownickel

Oh... Elaine... she is personally responsible for the downfall of many farms. She does not understand plant nutrition, her arguments against sulfur are silly. I have 500 ppm of Sulfur in my soil and I can outproduce any lime or avocado grower on the planet ORGANICALLY. And my soil biology is cranking! I also use 2 to 3 tons of gypsum per acre per year. I apply copper in my irrigation system, my biology is still cranking! You can grab a handful of soil 20 inches down and smell the forest, which is the odor of oxygenation.

Agriculture is not of extremes, it is about balance. You need to balance your soils so that you can get a balanced biology. That is fast! The other way around takes years! I want results TOMORROW! You all have it even worse, you grow annuals!

Here is a good book that is out of print, More Food from Soil Science, written by Dr. Victor Tiedjens. He was not only a PhD, but also head of the ag extension service in New Jersey and more important than everything else, a farmer. Good reading!

Ecompost

Ecompost

Oh... Elaine... she is personally responsible for the downfall of many farms. She does not understand plant nutrition, her arguments against sulfur are silly. I have 500 ppm of Sulfur in my soil and I can outproduce any lime or avocado grower on the planet ORGANICALLY. And my soil biology is cranking! I also use 2 to 3 tons of gypsum per acre per year. I apply copper in my irrigation system, my biology is still cranking! You can grab a handful of soil 20 inches down and smell the forest, which is the odor of oxygenation.

Agriculture is not of extremes, it is about balance. You need to balance your soils so that you can get a balanced biology. That is fast! The other way around takes years! I want results TOMORROW! You all have it even worse, you grow annuals!

Here is a good book that is out of print, More Food from Soil Science, written by Dr. Victor Tiedjens. He was not only a PhD, but also head of the ag extension service in New Jersey and more important than everything else, a farmer. Good reading!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47421252/More Food from Soil Science.pdf
if you dont mind me asking, where are these farms?

Ecompost

Ecompost

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47421252/More Food from Soil Science.pdf
is it out of print because its knowledge has been passed by newer data or continually referenced in all texts?
I still dont speak plant but I am prepared to change my habits, to think about a wider context and try to understand this before I move. Hence why I am so interested in your methods Slow & Home

Since you use lots of things I think might be bad for many forms of biology, you can enlighten me with a reality. it is this that matters. What is the total spore count of say Glomus fasciculatus in your soil profile? Do you have a soil fauna test result you might share to show there is no determiment to say glomus, or perhaps that your system has some wider community making up for any myco shortfall for example. You clearly have Actinobac in the system from your scent report, but what else lives there?

Ecompost

Ecompost

I might add, Elaine is a person that has been a point of entry to many people wishing to know more. As somewhat of a poineer in the field, she was bound to have been passed by others today, but her basic understanding of biology in the soil seems to me to be accurate. If we are not talking about extremes here, i would say its fair to see all views and take a balance. I have no evidence to suggest she has harmed anyones farm. or that her methods have. I can imagine some half wit farmer dosing his mycos with Super P and then kicking off blaming her however. If people want to call out people, please can we supply data to justify the point. This aint CNN last I checked, so if we can all have something we can look at so we can make our minds up, this will be useful i sense. no use being all polar without a foundation of data and knowing

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Gypsum is good, but not to be used a sole source of calcium.
Gypsum is calcium sulfate, calcium + sulfur.
Best to get your base saturation of calcium to 60% with calcium carbonate before adding gypsum.
Have seen growers make soil mix solely with gyspum and then hit very high levels of sulfur.

Interested to hear you say this, considering our experience with calcium carbonate.........Didn't learn from that? What negative effects did you see from high sulfur?

High sulfer is needed with the high P and K we are running.

Latest posts

Top Bottom