Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Today's pics .

The top photo is the nursery. I hand feed with nutes from the rez so they are O2G enhanced . I keep nutes just below the top of the stones to encourage the tap root to seek it out. After taking this pic, I carefully removed the shell, but no cotyledon, so it's likely stillborn

The plant in the lower left is the White Buffalo. Fingers crossed. It appears to have stabilized. The top plant on the right was inserted a couple days ago and seems to be acclimating well. The one below I just put in this morning

IMG 4770
IMG 4771
Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Well, it seems relying on the O2G alone (at least until the root system has exited the net pot) is a bad idea

I am using one stone (at the opposite end of the tote from the emitter), but just added another as 1 plant was completely wilted this morning

The water level was low, but having air stones to pop bubbles at the bottom of the net pot would likely help draw down the tap root

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Still having issues with young plants wilting, even though I added the second stone, BUT, the pump was still on the same timer as the O2G. I am now running the air stones 24/7

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Very frustrated. It was already too late when I added an air stone and should have added two. Not even sure they would have helped as the waterline was a good 1" below the net pot.

If the pump is big enough (mine is) as the bubbles burst a small amount of moisture gets up into the net pot, keeping the RRs damp. However, when the bubbles are constant it is highly likely that the RRs will get soaked, and stay soaked, especially if the water line is too close to the Rapid Rooters (which is why I put a layer of small stones between the RR and the bottom of the net pots. If the water line is too high the RRs saturate, causing root rot that destroyed my last 3 grows. This time, the opposite, the RRs dried out

Having multiple air stones popping the surface provides ample moisture above the water line, though I will no longer run it 24/7, to avoid over saturation. Thinking to use the pump more like a F & D and cut on time down to ~30 minutes on and ~ 2 hours off. This should eliminate the RRs from saturating, which caused root rot in my last 3 grows. This will be similar to F & D times. It should solve that problem

These are tough setbacks, especially since I had nice roots developing out of the sides of all 6 RR this time, but they dried out before reaching the nutrients below.

On a positive note: .One plant is doing well, maybe one more will survive. Either way, I dropped 6 more seeds this morning

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Very frustrated. It was already too late when I added an air stone and should have added two. Not even sure they would have helped as the waterline was a good 1" below the net pot.

If the pump is big enough (mine is) as the bubbles burst a small amount of moisture gets up into the net pot, keeping the RRs damp. However, when the bubbles are constant it is highly likely that the RRs will get soaked, and stay soaked, especially if the water line is too close to the Rapid Rooters (which is why I put a layer of small stones between the RR and the bottom of the net pots. If the water line is too high the RRs saturate, causing root rot that destroyed my last 3 grows. This time, the opposite, the RRs dried out

Having multiple air stones popping the surface provides ample moisture above the water line, though I will no longer run it 24/7, to avoid over saturation. Thinking to use the pump more like a F & D and cut on time down to ~30 minutes on and ~ 2 hours off. This should eliminate the RRs from saturating, which caused root rot in my last 3 grows. This will be similar to F & D times. It should solve that problem

These are tough setbacks, especially since I had nice roots developing out of the sides of all 6 RR this time, but they dried out before reaching the nutrients below.

On a positive note: .One plant is doing well, maybe one more will survive. Either way, I dropped 6 more seeds this morning

Sorry to read about your misfortunes. I know you will keep trying 🍻 burn one on me and "carry on"... :cool: I will keep watching...

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

It looks like one has a 50/50 chance of making a comeback. The other looks quite good

IMG 4772
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

delivered! 🍻 sorry it took so long. Hope it helps.

But that video is with bubbler cranking, which is fine for starting seedlings, but, O2G tells me when hybridizing O2G + airpump, the pump should be on a separate timer that cycles inbetween emitter cycles. Depending on the volume of nutes in your DWC maybe cycle the pump ~ 20- minutes per 3 hours will be sufficient to tickle the roots and supply O2 between emitter cycles. If you do that, I think you will see a lot more and bigger root hairs

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
But that video is with bubbler cranking, which is fine for starting seedlings, but, O2G tells me when hybridizing O2G + airpump, the pump should be on a separate timer that cycles inbetween emitter cycles. Depending on the volume of nutes in your DWC maybe cycle the pump ~ 20- minutes per 3 hours will be sufficient to tickle the roots and supply O2 between emitter cycles. If you do that, I think you will see a lot more and bigger root hairs

Point taken. We'll keep that in mind as they get older.

Let me make sure i understand their position. They are saying that running both is a waste of the bennies of the 02G because we are blasting away the 02 that is clinging to the "hairs". Calm water gives the 02 time to generate, be attracted to the hairs and absorbed. Then stir with lots of air for 20 minutes. rinse & repeat....

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Point taken. We'll keep that in mind as they get older.

Let me make sure i understand their position. They are saying that running both is a waste of the bennies of the 02G because we are blasting away the 02 that is clinging to the "hairs". Calm water gives the 02 time to generate, be attracted to the hairs and absorbed. Then stir with lots of air for 20 minutes. rinse & repeat....

Running the pump 24/7 destroys the very delicate DO from the O2G. This is probably why your root hairs are so few

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I noticed the 2 plants weren't taking off as they should. Close inspection I have a small net pot with the Rapid Rooter inside a 4" net pot, but did not see any horizontal roots exiting either of the RRs, neither had I put sufficient amount of ornamental stones in either. That's done, but plants look a little bleached out today, probably some shock involved

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Made fresh nutes today, the previous batch was made about a month old, and while it might be ok, I think a spark was missing

daplug222

daplug222

Update

I was going to order the new commercial Zone, but was told the original formula was better, so that's on its way, but, since anaerobic bacteria is not supposed to grow in an oxygen rich environment (proven in YT videos where commercial sized micro-bubblers have restored near dead bodies of water) I should not need it at all. See below

I can't locate when I pollinated LOL, but it's been roughly one month, calyxes are swelling and pistils mostly red. I moved her back into the veg bubbler and moved the BBCC x G13 into the bloom bubbler since she is getting fat and is overdue for bloom nutes. Still can't tell but all indications are it's a She.

I found out my O2 Grow 2020 was not plugged in fully. This allowed the led to come on (false sense of working) but the wall wart input plug was not in far enough to provide power to the emitters. I have no idea how long that has been an issue, but likely throughout this current grow. But wait, there's more...

and now the biggie:

Several growers (that I have ignored) have said you don't need bubblers if you drain back (F & D) which I am not using at this stage, BUT, since the O2G produces micro bubbles, running 3 air stones 24/7 is probably dissipating them. DOH

The O2G is supposed to run 30 minutes on and 4 hours off. I think I simply need to grow a pair and eliminate the air stones so the O2G can do its' thing. Unfortunately, Ive never been able to locate anyone using O2G, so Im a bit chicken to completely pull the plug on the air pump, but did remove 2/3 stones. I am waiting to hear back from O2G but will likely eliminate that one too

Stay tuned

Wish me luck

I decided to go all in with my O2G 2020: ZERO airstones

Here's a picture of the roots. LOL's roots (far right) not looking good, might be bennies, but then no new roots, so...

I thought to soak them in h2o2, but decided to leave them as is (but monitor) and see how they respond to micro-bubbles

The babies have nice lateral root hairs, but some are brown, again, could be bennies, or not

Just heard back from O2G. Seems my intuition was spot on. They revised their 30 min on and 4 hour off instructions as follows:

The O2Grow oxygenator separates the water molecule creating
Nano Bubbles of 100% pure oxygen. These Nano Bubbles are
easily absorbed back into the water effectively raising the level
of dissolved oxygen, therefore if you run a “Bubbler” with the
O2Grow emitter you will experience no increase in dissolved
oxygen. The larger bubbles introduced by the bubbler simply rise
to the top and can remove the increased dissolved oxygen that
you have just created. However, if you are using Bubblers to help
mix your nutrients or to keep debris off of the roots, then we
recommend running your O2Grow emitters for 1 hour on and 1 hour
off during your plants “light cycle.” Now run your Bubblers during the “dark cycle” to mix nutrient and splash the roots. The “light cycle” is when the plants are absorbing the nutrient and storing energy

WhatsApp Image 2019 08 06 at 183754
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

In a discussion about the O2G on another grow site: Yes it separates O2 and H. Unlike air pumps, it does not introduce CO2, and the micro O2 bubbles are easy for the roots to absorb. The problem is O2G is not forthcoming at least for cannabis growers. They likely want to avoid the Feds

The O2G operates 30 minutes on ~ 3-4 hours off. And yes it does create a Cl gas smell when on. PERHAPS, the CL gassing under the tote lid is toxic to the roots. Maybe I need to vent it better. Ok instead of completely covering the empty net pot slots I filled the net pots with stones just to prevent light leaks into the nutes. Now, there should be enough air venting. Fingers crossed

Update: I turned off the COBs, now only using ~ 100w of r/b monos in hopes that lower tent temps will kickstart root development, but it is quite possible the trapped CL gas has been the problem

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Late yesterday I cut the bubbler times from 30 minutes to 15, and probably need no more than 5 minutes. I also disconnected 1/2 air stones. I have a programmable timer that I can implement if needed Mostly the stones are to agitate the roots, which currently don't exist: it also dissipates the DO. I thought to replace the stones with a cir pump, but 185 gph is really huge in ~ 2.5g nutrients.

Yesterday I removed ~ 10 ozs of nute liquid, Checking the netpots this morning the RRs are still wet all the way up, so I removed another 10+ ozs and left the netpots outside the nutrients to dry out a bit.

The amount of CL gas is no longer as strong now that I replaced the covers with netpots filled with stones, post O2G cycle.

One plant continues to get taller, though there still no roots exiting the net pot

IMG 4778
IMG 4779
IMG 4780
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Late yesterday I cut the bubbler times from 30 minutes to 15, and probably need no more than 5 minutes. I also disconnected 1/2 air stones. I have a programmable timer that I can implement if needed Mostly the stones are to agitate the roots, which currently don't exist: it also dissipates the DO. I thought to replace the stones with a cir pump, but 185 gph is really huge in ~ 2.5g nutrients.

Yesterday I removed ~ 10 ozs of nute liquid, Checking the netpots this morning the RRs are still wet all the way up, so I removed another 10+ ozs and left the netpots outside the nutrients to dry out a bit.

The amount of CL gas is no longer as strong now that I replaced the covers with netpots filled with stones, post O2G cycle.

One plant continues to get taller, though there still no roots exiting the net pot

Ride that horse.... 7 seconds is around the corner...

I like your work ethic and persistence!!

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

"Largest' plant growing, but still no roots exiting the net pot, ditto the 2 new seedlings

Latest posts

Top Bottom