Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Although the 3 plants are 'growing' the roots are far behind where they should be. I decided to remove the ornamental stones for now. I inserted toothpicks in the Rapid Rooters (which are inside 1" net pots, and let them float inside the larger 4" net pots, with the top covered to prevent light leak into the rez

The larger plant does have a number of root tips peeking out the sides of the RR, but these should be 2-3" by now

At least they're still alive. Now I just need to kickstart

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Seems like nothing has worked so far. This morning I got an idea which, if it doesn't work I will go back to either hydroton, or lava rock, but only a small amounts.

I just cut up coconut hairs, which are shaped into pucks for starting clones. I semi-lined the 3" net pots (including the bottom) and inserted the 1" net pots. I will hand spray every couple hours

Looks a lot like this https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Clone-EZ-...=coco+clone+pucks&qid=1568638578&sr=8-1-spell

I also doubled the number of 15 minute on bubble cycles in an effort to keep the coco moist.

Fingers crossed

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

As I still don't have roots exiting the bottom of the net pots. I decided to unplug the O2G until roots are established outside the net pots and am now running the bubbler 24/7 as the coco strings (looks like the husk hairs formed into pucks, very airy and does not soak up and hold onto the water/nutes as either the Rapid Rooters, or the coco pellets

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The coco strings are neither helping nor hurting, although, if they're not helping...

thinking through this mess, it dawned on me that I have one more starter cube that I was gifted years ago. Im sure I tried it back then, but had long forgotten about it; Sure to Grow Cubes. I think the fact that it appears bleached (snow white) and clearly inorganic probably stopped me from using them. Other than that I have no recollection

Too late this time, but will use them soon, unless someone has some negative 411 to share

Even though nutes were fresh on 9/5 I made fresh nutes today @ ~350ppm. Primarily V + B + a bit of CaMg/Kelp/silica and veg microbes

I will replace the 2 air stone pump with a 4 air stone pump which I have as 2 are barely covering the plants

IMG 4781
IMG 4782
IMG 4783
IMG 4784
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The roots still are not exiting the net pots, so yesterday, I gently removed the coco mesh, but there were a lot of roots exiting the bottom of the one inch net pots. I have no idea why they stopped growing, but I replaced the coco mesh wth small stones. I then mixed a few grains of Kelp in water + some nutes and have been dunking the 4" net pots in hopes of invigorating the roots. Tic Toc

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Update Long overdue, but nothing much has been going on

Finally 2 net pots have roots exiting (see photos), but they are taking their sweet time seeking out the nutes which are < 1/2" from the bottom of the net pots, with a ~ 1/2" layer of stones in each to minimize wetting the cubes

The barely tallest plant (light green) still has zero visible roots, and yet keeps getting taller

I moved the 4th plant into a larger coco net pot outside the bubbler as it refused to develop roots, but still grew, though slowly with droopy leafs. Once roots develop I will gently wash off the coco and reintroduce into the bubbler

IMG 4791
IMG 4793
IMG 4794
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Made fresh nutes. Sigh, my pH meter refuses to calibrate, meaning my daily checks were likely not correct. I have a dropper back up and ordered another pH meter from Azon.

FYI: I find the cheap ones last as long as the stoopid expensive ones

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I decided to put my 4 air stone bubbler on a deep cycle timer. Starting at 10 minutes on and 30 minutes off. O/O times suggestions anybody?

New pH meter due today, along with a 80 gph pump. Im going to try replacing the air stones with it, and aiming it at a container inside the DWC rez with various size ornamental stones to create turbulence and air bubbles

One of the problems I have is my light heats my 2 x 4 x 6 tent ~ 89*s, and that is with both flaps wide open and fan on. Thinking to go to my lower wattage Amare SE 230

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I decided to put my 4 air stone bubbler on a deep cycle timer. Starting at 10 minutes on and 30 minutes off. O/O times suggestions anybody?

New pH meter due today, along with a 80 gph pump. Im going to try replacing the air stones with it, and aiming it at a container inside the DWC rez with various size ornamental stones to create turbulence and air bubbles

One of the problems I have is my light heats my 2 x 4 x 6 tent ~ 89*s, and that is with both flaps wide open and fan on. Thinking to go to my lower wattage Amare SE 230

Yo man; try one of these in the top of the tent. lower the probe to plant top (adjust as needed) then set your humidity and temp thresholds i have two of the four inch models on each 2x4 cabinet.

I am pretty sure you are going to want to take the air from the top of the tent and draw the cool air from under the flaps, etc.. šŸ»

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XBXFPD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope it helps out! Good Luck

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I cut the deep cycle timer to 3 minutes on and 12 minutes off. Plants are wilted from rearranging the air stones to which I had to cut new tubing, That took a while to complete, with plants were outside the bubbler. I'm on the verge of switching the bubbler out and going back to HPA: I have the kit

Here's a pic from when I used a hybrid hpa mist heads on a large gph pump. The roots were looking awesome, but the Rapid Rooters were getting to wet due to mist being more like a sprinkle, causing root rot, see the light tan color in the photos

IMG 4231
IMG 4232
IMG 4213
Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

If that system worked so well, why are you off on a new tangent every time you get a brain fart?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

If that system worked so well, why are you off on a new tangent every time you get a brain fart?
Seems like a good question, but at the time I did not realize the cause of the root rot which was barely showing then, but pretty much destroyed those plants

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

First, either my previous pH pen was way the F off, or my new one is, but considering the lack of root development to date, it is quite likely the old readings were a big part of my problem

Checking the rez, even though I made fresh nutes last week, I noticed that the walls had some algae and the water was cloudy, so I dumped those nutes, wiped down the tote with light bleach and soap then added fresh nutes

I did add a small 80 gph pump to circulate along with the 4 air stones, but it was to small, so I replaced it with a 165 gph pump which is on the same timer as the air pump

Timer currently set at 3 minutes on 15 minutes off

Fingers crossed

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I cut the deep cycle timer to 3 minutes on and 12 minutes off. Plants are wilted from rearranging the air stones to which I had to cut new tubing, That took a while to complete, with plants were outside the bubbler. I'm on the verge of switching the bubbler out and going back to HPA: I have the kit

Here's a pic from when I used a hybrid hpa mist heads on a large gph pump. The roots were looking awesome, but the Rapid Rooters were getting to wet due to mist being more like a sprinkle, causing root rot, see the light tan color in the photos

Looking much, much better! With or without hydroguard & PlusLife? Is your rez chilled? (i forgot, atleast that is my excuse). šŸ˜²

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I rotate blue ice blocks 4xs a day

As I mentioned a couple days ago, I cleaned the tote with chlorine. Must have been too much left when I added the fresh nutes cause the plants are in bad shape

Made fresh nutes this morning, but probably need to start over- AGAIN

Latest posts

Top Bottom