Hanging vs. Screen

• Thread starter JayBee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Is hanging the buds up on line better than letting them dry in screens? Anyone ever done a side-by-side?

JB

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
That is what works best for me hang em up willie!!!

I usually but lil kibble buds on screens or in bags

B

boxmunch9

I end up having to dry a bunch of un-hangable nugs on a screen door and to be honest i cant tell a difference. I still hang up but i like the idea of screens for 2 reasons 1.) you can skip the whole cherry picking process which takes me about 15hrs 2.) you can fit 32sq ft of space in a 4x4ft square when they are stacked.

A

Alekiboy

Living in Hawaii the hanging method works best as our humidity is pretty constant. Good airflow is a must! I think the buds do get smashed a bit and maybe some of the essential oils get rubbed off on the screen or you..
Of course as greenthumbdanny states, I also put the scrappy buds on a screen...

F

FastForward

I've just moved from a horizontal drying screen setup to a hanging setup, and the buds are just nicer not being squared off/flattened. I also think that some trichs are rubbed off on the screen, although minor quantities.

I dropped the temps in the drying tent from 20/21c to 18/19c and have been hanging my buds, and they're just much better quality now.....better taste, crumble, smoke....but that's the temps more than the hanging. Also giving 2 days of darkness before chop, that also might have helped....

G

Gheerman

Good info guys i am wonting to try the screens but hanging up works well

U

ukcheesehead

never experimented with this as i dont like the way the screens make them go flat i prefer them to keep they're shape

if u rotate the buds they dont go flat . i used to hang mine but now my yeilds are always 16 oz plus theres no way u can hang that much in a 1m sq tent . so i use x3 drying screens now . so much easyer

G

grizz

i use screens, built a 5 tray screen box that has a small 12 inch fan on the bottom blowing slowly up through the screens, have a glass that fits under the fan that catches the loose trics. I agree hanging gives a better tighter bud but I prefer to do all my manicuring and trimming at one time and be done with it.

T

TheNman

if u rotate the buds they dont go flat . i used to hang mine but now my yeilds are always 16 oz plus theres no way u can hang that much in a 1m sq tent . so i use x3 drying screens now . so much easyer

Hanging is just like screens... it's about the way you pack em!
I could probably hang just shy of 2lbs in a 1M cube.

Don't hang them so that they're all crushed together, but side by side is fine... just like on a screen, little to no spaces.

T

TDS45

Screened or hung , I prefer hung, trimmed and most the stalk cut off as well .....

general_sketch

general_sketch

Interesting difference in views... i'm w/hanging them up. definitely find that they look better and that they cure more uniformly. and size for hanging isnt too bad. a good friend of mine i used to help, before the bastard took off for cal-e-for-ny-a, used an old bookshelf w/the shelfs removed and a diy kief box at the bottom to collect any falling crystal angels. real efficient and it held a fackload of bud. those were good times.

F

Fear

to have space or not to have space

If you have the space hang them. I need my room cleared out and ready to go ASAP. I can't shut my room down for a week and i need the space, so I am going with the trays myself. I know The weed is going to get smashed when it's stuffed into a bag and then into someones pocket anyways. Plus more crystals for you if you have a good drying system and a way to catch all those trichs. Uhmmm.

M

mr.red

I agree, if you have the space hang them.

Personally after recently moving I do not have the space and after using some screens i see little difference

I regularly rotated them for more even drying and I believe that allowed them to keep a relatively nice shape

But just remember, it all ends up being used

I don't care much how it looks

Only that it works

R

redog

FastForward-"Also giving 2 days of darkness before chop, that also might have helped"

Is that done all the time?
2 days darkness before you what?Cut them before hanging?

F

FastForward

FastForward-"Also giving 2 days of darkness before chop, that also might have helped"

Is that done all the time?
2 days darkness before you what?Cut them before hanging?

I do...got it from here...I think a lot of people do it...48 hours total darkness before the plant gets chopped (once at the base), remove the massive fans, hang with everything else intact until the stems are brittle enough to snap, then trim, bag or jar. I'm pretty sure my buds taste better now that I do the 48 hours darkness thing, but I've got different issues now...like too rapidly drying buds...but am trying brown bagging as an intermediary between the hang and the jar...

B

boxmunch9

i notice they dont really get smashed drying on a screen if you allow them to dry out fairly well before you chop them, huge kolas with smash if you dont flip then, i really dont think you look any tricomes because i've never been able to smoke any off the plastic i keep from under the screens.

but i still hang mine, in my " intake room" where both rooms intake ducting are pulling from, in that room is a window that is open pulling air from a hallway that leads to my steel gated backdoor that i leave cracked open. that way the outside air gently drys them and the smell goes into the rooms then scrubbed.

also i do not use a fan and have never had any mold while drying, just nice air flow

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey FF, I use the same method as you. 48 dark. Trim fans, chop and hang. But a few days before I get to the snapping point I break the main colas down but leave buds on branches, then cardboard box for a day or two, turning every 24 hours. I may then jar the whole lot for a day, then I either burp or cardboard box again for another 24 hours. Some plants I have done this upto a week, in and out of jars. The tastes were def improved then when just burping jars from near brittle stem trimming.

G

greyfx

I'm with fear, as soon as I chop, I have new clones going straight into the tent and I don't have the time hang buds in my tent. I went to home depot and bought a small 5 foot cabinet and cut a 6" hole at the top blowing air out and cut a couple more holes on the other side and one at the bottom of the door for extra air. I'm using a 6" ductfan I got from htgsupply works perfect for hanging my buds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom