Hanging vs. Screen

• Thread starter JayBee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

greenthumb

i used to hang my buds to dry but they took up too much space so now i use a screen hanger with about 10 compartments.
the fact that the bud is left with a flat spot dosnt bother me because it smokes and tastes the same .
plus who do you know that is going to turn down good weed because its flat on one side?

K

kingj73

I prefer hanging as others have stated in prior post the screens in my opinion could possibly damage trichs. The buds are a little more pleasing to the eye when you hang them, but who's looking at beauty right. We want the effect......yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!

KJ

B

Budhog

i used to hang my buds to dry but they took up too much space so now i use a screen hanger with about 10 compartments.
the fact that the bud is left with a flat spot dosnt bother me because it smokes and tastes the same .
plus who do you know that is going to turn down good weed because its flat on one side?

I grow for a collective and the folks are very picky. Flat buds will get $5 - $10 bucks an eighth less

S

Smokejumper

I use both methods hanging and screening, mainly due to
space constraints. Flat or round they'll knock you down!
Peace, SJ.

S

Standaman

Its got to to be hung for me its so much kinder lol

I aint that fussy if it smokes sweet i'm happy

spanky

spanky

It really comes down to prefrence,but hanging bigger branches and allowing small nugs to sit on screens or on cardboard,if ur not to particular,but bag it with some moisture its easier to remove the moisture by occasionally opening the bag then,putting moisture back in.

S

Standaman

My buds seem kind of dry already and kinda sticky too, it's been like 48 hours or so since i chopped them temps are 22c humidity 50% i'm thinking to put them in a cardboard box i was thinking a plastic bag but don't want any grassy smells.

So my question is. Should i continue hanging them further?

Should i put them in a cardboard box, just to slow them down before i jar them?

And finally should i turn my intake fan off? It will still allow air in passively i'm just thinking it may help i really ain't into rushing the whole drying thing.

Thanks

Greyskull

Greyskull

when the buds snap off the branches its dry and ready for the next step

imo you don't want any air blowing in/around the buds at all while they're drying, ever - you risk the buds drying out to fast and being 'green' tasting.

if you keep the environment at 70-75f and 40-45rh you should have dried buds in 5-6 days... 7 max.

S

Standaman

when the buds snap off the branches its dry and ready for the next step

imo you don't want any air blowing in/around the buds at all while they're drying, ever - you risk the buds drying out to fast and being 'green' tasting.

if you keep the environment at 70-75f and 40-45rh you should have dried buds in 5-6 days... 7 max.

Ok i'm kind of doing that so my humidifier on or off? Or just on at night?
I was thinking a bit of humidity wont hurt them as they are getting rather dry? I just cant mess up now.

Thanks

S

sfzoo

I have my buds sitting on a metal rack...not a screen. there's an inch clearance between grates on the rack, so my buds arent' gettin smashed.

My RH is about 70%..and Temps close to 70f. Should I lower the RH???

i've heard the slower the better, but i don't want mold.

thanks

R

Rolln J

I have done both - I prefer hanging, takes longer to dry - did a side by side with some popcorn sized nugs - the stuff I hung was smoother and tasted way better.

M

mrdizzle

I started out wet trimming.. then i started dry trimming for a while, a little stretch of whole plant hanging, then I started using the trim reaper and screen drying everything.

Here the skinny- huge kolas need to be hung they will be a flatside if they a real fatties, evervything else it makes no difference so long as you pop the bottom of the screens once or twice a day to let the buds bounce around, dont over load the screens, with the same drying conditions, it would be a pure guessing game which bud was which.

trim reaper buds vs handtrimmed hung, it would be a pure guessing game (honestly) I know 12 people who have bought reapers based on seeing the out come of my nugglets

the only real difference i saw from different methods was whole plant hanging, then dry trimming. the plants continues to live and pops resin like crazy. try one plant next harvest, you will be suprised.

basically every method works great, but you gotta go with what makes sense for you and your space. But check out the reaper, its the future i swear, unless trimming is a hobby

M

mrdizzle

people will often say things like " yea but you still have to touch it up after it runs" i would say to them so............? people will also talk about trichomes blah blah blah, only once you see the bud out of the machine with you own eyes can you become a true believer. imagen trimming an 8 light room, with one friend, in 8hrs

K

KrazyDan

Well said

the only real difference i saw from different methods was whole plant hanging, then dry trimming. the plants continues to live and pops resin like crazy. try one plant next harvest, you will be surprised.

basically every method works great, but you gotta go with what makes sense for you and your space. But check out the reaper, its the future i swear, unless trimming is a hobby

I agree with the plant popin/sweating out more resin....anyone who has re-vegged will tell ya what the little buds do for ya when they "live cure".....and the space is always key..keeping uniform temp and humidity IMO is key...cold 65-68F in a 1/2 bathroom with a floor fan facing away from the hanging buds just to move the air around at 42% give or take depending on the day and I go straight to jars here..then sweat/burp til the inside snap...then open pnc a day til i close them checking once whenever I want to smoke..;)
KD

A

afatsoweezer

I posted this on another thread, which might slap a different perspective here too (from mandalaseeds,com):

------------------------------------------
• What is the best method for drying and curing?

To prevent bud mold spreading in your crop we advise to trim the buds from larger leaves and stalks straight after harvest. It is less work intensive and prevents damage to the trichomes to trim the buds while they are still fresh. If you like to preserve the large head buds they can be hung from a line after trimming. The small to medium trimmed buds can be spread out on any type of screen that promotes air passage such as mosquito mesh, simple meshed curtains, etc. Cheap plastic trays that can be connected to form towers with the bottom laid out with mesh work great. You can also spread out the mesh on a clothes dryer stand. A handy product for drying are the inexpensive and space saving hanging baskets sold at grow shops.

Even though the buds are lying flat out, if they have been trimmed properly they will retain a nice oval shape after drying. There is no need to turn them over while drying. Avoid any unnecessary handling so that the outer coating of resin is not rubbed off (most of the resin is contained in the bud however). Dry the buds at room temperature and normal humidity. Make sure the temperature does not drop too much to prevent mold. In case it does use a heater and small oscillating fan in the room to keep a good climate. Small to medium buds are usually dry enough for curing after 5-7 days. Larger head buds hung to dry require up to 12 days. Test the progress of drying by bending them. Even if the outside feels dry there is still enough moisture inside. Stems should be quite dry but still a bit bendable/supple. This is a good stage to start the curing process.

The most common mistake growers make during curing is that they pack the buds into airtight containers. The second mistake is to fill the bags/containers to the top. When you first pack the buds into a bag or container fill only ¾ of the space. One of the best methods to cure buds is to use household zip-lock bags for storing vegetables. These are aroma-neutral and allow a minimal exchange of gases through the bags since they are not completely impermeable like glass for example. Cardboard boxes and paper bags are an alternative but they have certain disadvantages, such as that the buds might dry to quickly in them.

The first week of curing excess moisture will pass from the inner core of the buds to the outside. You can tell the difference because the dry surface of the packed buds is suddenly considerably more moist again from absorbing the escaped humidity when you open the bag/container a day later. In an airtight environment there is no possibility for this moisture to escape and for the necessary exchange of gases required for a good curing process. During curing the gases and moisture escaping from the buds need to be vented and fresh oxygen should be available. For this reason, the bags/containers with the buds should be opened for a few minutes every 2-3 days. Gently rotating the buds from the bottom of the bag to the top assists in an even drying and curing process. This is quite difficult to do in glass jars but a simple procedure with zip-lock bags.

Curing normally takes 6-8 weeks. After the first two weeks it is not necessary to open the bags/container every few days – once a week will suffice. Buds can also mature beyond the regular 2 month period and gain in taste and potency. For extended curing they should be stored in a zip-lock bag in a cool, dark place. When the curing process is completed the buds can be stored in airtight packaging such as glass jars for long-term storage if required.

-----------------------------------

Personally, I usually hang the plant since I have the extra room and grow for myself, and the only problem in this neck of the woods is drying too fast ... at least it's correctable.

Might try screening half the harvest this time though, just to see the difference in dry-time and since I could care less what it looks like.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I've never had a problem either way. I trim all my stash right off the plant. Nothing is more of a pain in the ass then trying to trim leaves that have encapsulated the buds. I use strait screens now. For one is the space. The time it takes to dry out big colas cut down into smaller nugs seems to cure more evenly. Also I have no desire trying to stick a 1 oz nug into a jar and having 40 plus mason jars. That starts to get a little heavy.

The 48 hr darkness does nothing. I have read this time and time again. I have tried all the 24, 36, 48, and 72 hr darkness over the years and found absolutely nothing. Ive asked so many countless times before has anyone done a side by side to show the "big" difference. Just curious. I would rather just chop, throw on the screens and get to flippin the next crop.

J

jaybird

hangin in hawaii

Living in Hawaii the hanging method works best as our humidity is pretty constant. Good airflow is a must! I think the buds do get smashed a bit and maybe some of the essential oils get rubbed off on the screen or you..
Of course as greenthumbdanny states, I also put the scrappy buds on a screen...

I agree with Alekiboy...in hawaii, especially different areas of hawaii, gotta have good air flow...or you'll end up with mold...as for screens (tend to leave flat spots on your buds..moisture builds up on contact spots too)...Hang 'em if you got 'em...hopefully on jan. 24 the legislature is gonna pass increase number of plants for med patients..right now in hawaii we are allowed 7 (3 mature..4 immature) but on the Big Island...the county passed patients may have up to 24 plants...
aloha...be safe..Gro_On
jaybird

S

SSHZ

I both hang and screeen and have noticed no real differences in final quality....... but I still prefer to hang so I can easily observe everything for mold, dryness, eveness of dry throughout, etc. Also gets everything off the floor and higher up, which is usually 1-3 degrees warmer.

Top Bottom