Harvest Guessimate?

• Thread starter McCannabis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
McCannabis

McCannabis

Got two plants in veg, planning on flipping at about a foot and a half. Any ideas on how much I'm looking at for yield of these babies?

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Alot of factors here but with some more info I'd be willing to throw a dart at the board. Do you know what strains they are? Are you harvesting at first signs of amber trichs and are they topped or grown out natural.

McCannabis

McCannabis

Don't know what strains they are exactly, both are topped standing close to a foot. One is definitely indica dom and the other is a pretty even split it looks like, maybe a little heavier on the sativa. And I'm not sure when I'm gonna harvest. I'm not really sure when to flip. Here's a pic

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

How much headroom do you have? I wouldn't let them take up too much more than a third of the vertical height between your light at its highest and the tops of the pots before flipping, leaves room for stretch if it occurs and if you think one is sativa Dom and one indica you may still end up tying down the tops on the sativa just to get your lights close enough to the indica.

McCannabis

McCannabis

I have two lights now, and they can be independently adjusted. I have about three feet of headroom now. I think I'm gonna flip in a few weeks(2 or 3). Which should end up around 3ft tall. Someone suggested cloning now to see sex, but I'm not really sure how to clone either.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I wouldn't bother too much with cloning to see sex but if you don't have any beans your totally stoked on I would try to take a couple cuttings from each one for your next round. Cloning is simple it just requires patience. The water cloning method in the grow faq on the forum is a useful place to start if you are interested in making 0 investment in cloning just to try it. If you have just a little money to throw at it you can go get some rooting gel, they're all basically the same, alternatively you can use raw organic aloe gel as an organic rooting gel OR if you have willow around go gut the fresh shoots, get a gallon jug 1/3 to 1/2 full of shoots. Boil the shoots in distilled water for 10 mins then let steep for two hours. Refrigerate and use as a cloning solution. Take a sharp pair of clean scissors and cut off a healthy growth shoot (I do this when I top my plants), you want the shoot to have 3-4 nodes. Drop the shoot cut end first in clean distilled water directly after removing from the mother. Remove from water after 20-30 seconds and make a 45 degree cut 1-2 centimeters below the first node, remove growth from the lowest node with scissors or razor, dip the cut end in rooting gel and then place into a peat pellet or small container of soil a 3/4 inches or so. The medium needs to be moist. I prefer to make a slurry of recharge (beneficial bacteria) to pour into the hole in my medium where my clone will go. Place the cuts into a humidity dome and keep humidity at 90% for the first few days. I don't directly spray my clones, I don't blast my clones with light but rather hang my t5 2 feet away or so and slowly lower it throughout the first week. 24 hrs of light. I'm no expert on cloning this is just what I know. If you use rockwool cubes remember to follow the manufacturers recommendations for clearing any byproducts of production out of the rockwool cubes and never squeeze the cubes as it collapses air voids.

*Edit* sterilize everything you can before starting.

Last edited:
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Oh I almost forgot alot of people like to cut off roughly 1/3 from the tips of their fan leaves for less transpiration of the clones. I have done this recently and clone health maintenance has been pretty easy but again my cloning experience is primarily with other plants and I am rather new to cloning cannabis.

McCannabis

McCannabis

So I need to cut a growth tip? I can't just use a fan leaf?

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

No a fan leaf is just a factory and storage facility it is not actively growing. All you would do is make the fan leaf green for a little longer after you pulled it off the plant.

McCannabis

McCannabis

Gotcha. Okay. You said you wouldn't worry about cloning? I have a bunch of bagseed, which these are, kinda curious as to what pops out of the ground. The only thing is if they aren't females it's a lot of work for nothing.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I wouldn't necessarily clone for sex no, by the time you got the clones rooted and then flipped to 12 12 and then they show sex you will have already flipped and sexed these babies. I was saying I would take clones for your next run so in 2 weeks ish when these are flowering you will know which one (if either or both) is female and you can keep those clones for your next run. Personally though I would work on getting my hands on some known stable genetics that I like and then really worry about cloning then so I can improve my style with a strain that I intimately know. Never a bad idea to practice new techniques on these free bag seeds though, and you're going to want to know how to clone sooner or later. Here is a pic of the babies in my dome at the moment.
20151213 003352

See how it looks like a fresh little growth tip? People take much bigger clones than that btw and these have not taken root as far as I know but I don't touch them for a week.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I wouldn't necessarily clone for sex no, by the time you got the clones rooted and then flipped to 12 12 and then they show sex you will have already flipped and sexed these babies. I was saying I would take clones for your next run so in 2 weeks ish when these are flowering you will know which one (if either or both) is female and you can keep those clones for your next run. Personally though I would work on getting my hands on some known stable genetics that I like and then really worry about cloning then so I can improve my style with a strain that I intimately know. Never a bad idea to practice new techniques on these free bag seeds though, and you're going to want to know how to clone sooner or later. Here is a pic of the babies in my dome at the moment. View attachment 555613
See how it looks like a fresh little growth tip? People take much bigger clones than that btw and these have not taken root as far as I know but I don't touch them for a week.
That rockwool looks dry.

McCannabis

McCannabis

Okay cool. Well maybe I'll give it a shot. Hopefully all goes well.

Darkstreets

Darkstreets

You really think that much?

lol hes fucking with you man,
word of advice.. its pointless to even ask for a yield guess, so many factors can influence yield that its near impossible for anyone to tell how much you'll harvest if any at all. they can all turn out males, they can all hermie, bugs can wipe the whole thing out or you can fry or seriously stun them from now till harvest time. just be patient and let it do its thing and do your best to make it a learning experience. Dont expect to be an overnight growing sensation and pull pounds off a 400watter with little to no experience.

after a few grows you'll get the hang of how much a certain strain produces if you grow the same strain constantly and will be able to estimate harvests roughly once they start showing sex and with the size of the plant, but theres so many phenotypes of the same strain that even that gives you a large ballpark figure at best

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

lol hes fucking with you man,
word of advice.. its pointless to even ask for a yield guess, so many factors can influence yield that its near impossible for anyone to tell how much you'll harvest if any at all. they can all turn out males, they can all hermie, bugs can wipe the whole thing out or you can fry or seriously stun them from now till harvest time. just be patient and let it do its thing and do your best to make it a learning experience. Dont expect to be an overnight growing sensation and pull pounds off a 400watter with little to no experience.

after a few grows you'll get the hang of how much a certain strain produces if you grow the same strain constantly and will be able to estimate harvests roughly once they start showing sex and with the size of the plant, but theres so many phenotypes of the same strain that even that gives you a large ballpark figure at best
Hey, positive thinking never hurts...

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

That rockwool looks dry.

It's not. Freshly watered in fact. Rock wool imo should only be dipped from the bottom and never more than halfway it retains too much moisture, the upper half of the block wicks an appropriate amount of water.

Last edited:
McCannabis

McCannabis

Hopefully the rest of my grow goes without a snag but I highly doubt it will. I am getting better at this though. It's fun to watch your babies grow. This is my first serious grow and I've been learning ALOT. Working out as many of the kinks as I can before I go to a little bigger scale possibly.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Any practice is good practice. No way to get better without your roots in the soil. Sure you will have problems but it's a strong plant, you can work through them.

Top Bottom