Harvest Help for a Newbie Please

• Thread starter Miguelcraigo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

First time griwer here and I think it went pretty well. I got 2 AK(front right and back left) and 2 Sour D. Breeder said 8 weeks for the AK which is today. I don't see any Amber's except on some leaves yet though I think they are milky. My dilema is I'm going out of town in 3 days so if I don't harvest before I come back it would be 8 days from now. I'm afraid I'm gonna come back to some over ripe buds. Any thought from some more experienced growers?

Thanks

Harvest help for a newbie please
Harvest help for a newbie please 2
Harvest help for a newbie please 3
Harvest help for a newbie please 4
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
make that decision in 3 days or just cut it down in 3 days and hang the whole plant from the trunk upside down in the tent, lights off/dark.. set temp to 65 and humidity 55 ish with a little airflow and you’ll be good till you get back to finish up.

Greenmom

Greenmom

First time griwer here and I think it went pretty well. I got 2 AK(front right and back left) and 2 Sour D. Breeder said 8 weeks for the AK which is today. I don't see any Amber's except on some leaves yet though I think they are milky. My dilema is I'm going out of town in 3 days so if I don't harvest before I come back it would be 8 days from now. I'm afraid I'm gonna come back to some over ripe buds. Any thought from some more experienced growers?

Thanks
Beautiful!

Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

Alright I'll make the call Thursday morning. I know they yellow at the end but, I feel like there is more wrong with the back one than just old age. The front left didnt pop so it was about three weeks behind the rest. It rebounded nicely tho. I'm sure I overfeeding them for a while but they have been flushed for 2 weeks now and I just started flushing the SD. That fox farm ocean Forest soil seemed to burn them a little when they were young.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Alright I'll make the call Thursday morning. I know they yellow at the end but, I feel like there is more wrong with the back one than just old age. The front left didnt pop so it was about three weeks behind the rest. It rebounded nicely tho. I'm sure I overfeeding them for a while but they have been flushed for 2 weeks now and I just started flushing the SD. That fox farm ocean Forest soil seemed to burn them a little when they were young.
It probably burnt them because you added food to them. FF OF is food, just not yet converted.
You plant it in a pot of food and them give it more food?

FourthCity

FourthCity

Thanks
Lower growth wont be as far along as the upper buds, you could harvest the tops before you leave and let the rest continue to ripen until you return. Nothing wrong with harvesting in stages when needed.

Once the plant starts to change trich colors, it does so quickly. The changeover lasts 48 - 72 hours.
Small window for harvesting.
I've never seen a plant go from all clear to over ripe in three days, that seems extremely fast. I usually see the trichs start to change a couple weeks before the plant is ready to harvest, the very tops will get over ripe but I like to harvest when the bulk of the buds are in the sweet spot.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I've never seen a plant go from all clear to over ripe in three days, that seems extremely fast. I usually see the trichs start to change a couple weeks before the plant is ready to harvest, the very tops will get over ripe but I like to harvest when the bulk of the buds are in the sweet spot.
That is based on personal experience and Ed Rosenthal's research.

Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

It probably burnt them because you added food to them. FF OF is food, just not yet converted.
You plant it in a pot of food and them give it more food?
After 5 weeks I started adding nutes. I know there are nutes in the soil but, not an endless supply. Or at least that's my understanding

FourthCity

FourthCity

That is based on personal experience and Ed Rosenthal's research.
Ed says ripening takes a couple weeks but your experience may be different.
https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru-of-ganja-blog/the-cannabis-ripening-process said:
Flower ripening starts between the fifth and eighth week. The calyxes (ovaries) start to swell. These are false seed pods; the flowers have not been fertilized and no seed can develop. The swollen calyx is one indication of ripeness. It begins about two weeks before maturation, so the timing depends on the variety.

The Ripening Process Of A Trichome​

Capitate trichomes, the tiny stalk-like resin glands that fill with THC, terpenes, and other cannabinoids, start to grow on the leaves surrounding the flowers. The flower areas will become totally covered with resin glands.

The length of this stage of growth can last from two to five weeks, depending on the variety. Varieties that ripen in seven weeks usually spend about three weeks in this period of heavy flower growth.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Ed says ripening takes a couple weeks but your experience may be different.

Flower ripening starts between the fifth and eighth week. The calyxes (ovaries) start to swell. These are false seed pods; the flowers have not been fertilized and no seed can develop. The swollen calyx is one indication of ripeness. It begins about two weeks before maturation, so the timing depends on the variety.

The Ripening Process Of A Trichome​

Capitate trichomes, the tiny stalk-like resin glands that fill with THC, terpenes, and other cannabinoids, start to grow on the leaves surrounding the flowers. The flower areas will become totally covered with resin glands.

The length of this stage of growth can last from two to five weeks, depending on the variety. Varieties that ripen in seven weeks usually spend about three weeks in this period of heavy flower growth.
Did you read the captions on the pix?

"Ripe Cananbis Bud: Close Up
Now let’s look at it close up. These are all mature flowers. You can see the caps are bulging, but at this stage you see that almost all the glands are clear but a few are beginning to change color, either to an amber color or to a milky white. That’s an indication that they’re changing from potent THC to much less potent CBN. It’s at this point that the plants should be picked. This period lasts about 72 hours, depending on the variety."

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Ripening is different from Trichome-morphing.

It's my experience that indicas change faster than sativas.

growsince79

growsince79

Lower growth wont be as far along as the upper buds, you could harvest the tops before you leave and let the rest continue to ripen until you return. Nothing wrong with harvesting in stages when needed.

My plants go from all clear to ripe over a period of several weeks. My strains are all different; some are ripe at first sign of amber and some start showing amber 2-3 weeks before they are ripe. I've also had plants that won't turn amber until you cut them or they rot.

Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

My plants go from all clear to ripe over a period of several weeks. My strains are all different; some are ripe at first sign of amber and some start showing amber 2-3 weeks before they are ripe. I've also had plants that won't turn amber until you cut them or they r

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll post an update soon to show off the finished product. I'm a pretty proud papa

Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

I got my smart phone microscope today and now I'm really confused. The Sour D isn't supposed to be ready for 12 more days but, it looks ready to me. I just watered them today and they had nutrients 3 days ago. What do I do? Harvest now or wait a week and keep flushing? Obviously I'm not very good with the microscope yet.

20210629 200314
2021 06 29 19 50 33 713
2021 06 29 19 49 55 370
2021 06 29 19 48 58 689
2021 06 29 19 48 16 944
2021 06 29 19 47 59 734
2021 06 29 19 47 21 496
FourthCity

FourthCity

I got my smart phone microscope today and now I'm really confused. The Sour D isn't supposed to be ready for 12 more days but, it looks ready to me. I just watered them today and they had nutrients 3 days ago. What do I do? Harvest now or wait a week and keep flushing? Obviously I'm not very good with the microscope yet.
Your not going to ruin anything by waiting, some people just prefer to harvest earlier than others. If you haven't developed a preference yet then I stand by what I said earlier about harvesting the top buds now. Use this as an opportunity to find out what your preference is, try some of the early harvested buds and compare them to the later harvested buds to see which you like better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom