• Tagged users None
Dirtboy808

Dirtboy808

Molokai Limes
DSC 0091 2

DSC 0092 2
Ulua

Ulua

Hey, I’m born and raised on oahu, spent my summers with family on molokai, now live in Hilo for about 9 years. Smoke crips from all. Haha. Finally got my medical card.

I have a background in botany/horticulture and have a lot of experience growing plants other than cannabis. I have done some non serious grows over the years. But, I consider myself on my first grow.

Here is what I got at the moment, about 3 weeks into flower:
A061AFE9 3B3C 4DBF B308 3CE4C225E5A9

My thought that I would be able to grow nice buds outdoors in containers without much effort is rapidly fading. It has been raining too much in Hilo. I work full time and am just growing for fun as I don’t smoke much and prefer to vape cartridges or eat edibles. So I am not trying to move plants around daily to stay away from the rain.

Also, I didn’t realize that Hawaii doesn’t really have any good season for natural photoperiod, or really no season at all. Plants will flower immediately after being put out at the mercy of natural light.

I am intrigued by growing indoors, but don’t really want to spend the money on equipment. And I really don’t have the space or time to be moving plants indoors under artificial light on a daily basis for veg.

My plan at this point is to grow with whatever nature provides. Am I confined to small plants that flower immediately outdoors? Or any other general advice? Thanks for any help.

GoodGear

GoodGear

I’ve been growing cannabis most of my adult life, started in Colorado as a teen, worked in cali during the fruitful years, grew in Montana year round in a greenhouse and moved to the big island in June. Have friends here that grow year round mostly greenhouse grows. Haw is def a challenging enviro. However, lots of places with weather and light cycles like haw. South East Asians would do fine here for the most part and some tropical sat from Africa and South America.
the key to keeping plants in veg is extending the natural light period with supplemental light. Doesn’t take much couple hours in the morning and couple at night.
I’m getting ready to experiment with solar lights just to supplement. As I said doesn’t take much to keep them in veg so doesn’t have to be an intense light source.
The largest problem for me here is the lack of soil. You either have to purchase soil or make your own. I’m making my own and will recycle it. Other than that things are going welll so far. I’m south of Hilo so know well bout the rain!
Much luck to you!
Aloha

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Put seedlings out around the middle of May. They will stay in veg for a couple months.
Or, make lemonade. raise 'em under a cheap light for a couple months, then chuck them outside all other times to make them flower. It's a feature. :)

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have a question for you if you could help fill me in. I spent a couple of years in Hawaii in 77/78/79/80 back and forth. Then visited as a tourist in 87/88/89/90 I've been on all major island except Lanai. Now the question....Without supplemental lighting and todays tech, how is it that I was smoking killer weed just about year long as I can remember? I knew zip on growing as did most of us back then but we never seemed to be out of weed. As a tourist in the 80's I got it off the peddy cab drivers or bar tenders in March/April There must be a strain that grows very well in Hawaii & elsewhere with your climate.& sunlight hours.

Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter
I have a question for you if you could help fill me in. I spent a couple of years in Hawaii in 77/78/79/80 back and forth. Then visited as a tourist in 87/88/89/90 I've been on all major island except Lanai. Now the question....Without supplemental lighting and todays tech, how is it that I was smoking killer weed just about year long as I can remember? I knew zip on growing as did most of us back then but we never seemed to be out of weed. As a tourist in the 80's I got it off the peddy cab drivers or bar tenders in March/April There must be a strain that grows very well in Hawaii & elsewhere with your climate.& sunlight hours.

The main thing with hawaii is theres a ton of different microclimates. kona vs hilo is night and day different, or even bigger yet, Molokai vs the other islands. Growing wet tropical side vs dry side is worlds apart. there are strains that do good, but you gotta be in the right microclimate. But even still, many of the old timer grower used veg side lighting to keep in veg, or they grew sativa hybrids that would get big even if done planted straight out in our 12/12 year round schedule

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The main thing with hawaii is theres a ton of different microclimates. kona vs hilo is night and day different, or even bigger yet, Molokai vs the other islands. Growing wet tropical side vs dry side is worlds apart. there are strains that do good, but you gotta be in the right microclimate. But even still, many of the old timer grower used veg side lighting to keep in veg, or they grew sativa hybrids that would get big even if done planted straight out in our 12/12 year round schedule
" or they grew sativa hybrids that would get big even if done planted straight out in our 12/12 year round schedule " that's what I'm talking about, I'm pretty sure they were not using supplemental lighting. I could be wrong but as I said I didn't grow it but I smoked a whack of weed without many droughts I can remember. I worked for Windjammer cruises for a while out of Honolulu & I sure do miss the sun & fun in Hawaii sometimes...Nov - April...yearly. lol

Ulua

Ulua

Thank you all for the insight. I wonder where I can find the proper sativa hybrids.. haha.

The conditions have been so difficult. Downpour of rain, then super hot sun.

I am still trying to keep my grow low maintenance. I work full time and moving several plants in and out from under the roof and lights daily is just not sustainable. I do have an area with an LED light sufficient to prevent flowering. But I realized that’s I’m not gonna be reliable. I guess we’ll do what I end up with and go from there.

thank you all and happy growing!

Ulua

Ulua

Hey, so I have been thinking, could I use a tent setup like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L5VJ8FB/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_TQSMY76J3VEZ22MVXVVT

To veg maybe one or two plants from seedling to maybe 36” tall before putting them outside to flower?

Not looking for massive yields here. Just to have a little more control over my photoperiod. I know very little about the various manufacturers/brands of indoor equipment, but it seems like spider farmer is regarded as good quality equipment that’s a nice compromise between budget and high end. I may make my own thread about this, but thought I’d ask here first.

I’d love to build a small greenhouse and have lighting necessary to prevent flowering, but I live right in Hilo and although I am completely 329 legal, I am trying to avoid having lights on in my yard at night. Also I like the idea that I could do complete small one plant indoor grows if I choose to.

Does this kit look decent? I believe in buying good quality gear in my hobbies. Haha. Thanks in advance.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Hey, I’m born and raised on oahu, spent my summers with family on molokai, now live in Hilo for about 9 years. Smoke crips from all. Haha. Finally got my medical card.

I have a background in botany/horticulture and have a lot of experience growing plants other than cannabis. I have done some non serious grows over the years. But, I consider myself on my first grow.

Here is what I got at the moment, about 3 weeks into flower: View attachment 1153506

My thought that I would be able to grow nice buds outdoors in containers without much effort is rapidly fading. It has been raining too much in Hilo. I work full time and am just growing for fun as I don’t smoke much and prefer to vape cartridges or eat edibles. So I am not trying to move plants around daily to stay away from the rain.

Also, I didn’t realize that Hawaii doesn’t really have any good season for natural photoperiod, or really no season at all. Plants will flower immediately after being put out at the mercy of natural light.

I am intrigued by growing indoors, but don’t really want to spend the money on equipment. And I really don’t have the space or time to be moving plants indoors under artificial light on a daily basis for veg.

My plan at this point is to grow with whatever nature provides. Am I confined to small plants that flower immediately outdoors? Or any other general advice? Thanks for any help.
Sweet, Oahu grower here.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Nice. I look foward to your posts. I know you have a wealth of experience to share.
We currently grow in a 2x4 tent with living soil. Just water, no extra nutes. Amendments only, usually a microbe, bactertia or enzyme supplement.

Ulua

Ulua

Do you guys grow from seed or clones? I am not really heavily involved but it seems people are readily offering me clones for $10. Seeing as high quality seeds on the internet are about the same price or more per plant, seems like a no brainer. And with the tent, I will likely clone my own plants from here on out. Any thoughts?

Any particular strains that do well with my proposed grow strategy?

Also, I ordered the tent. I was supposed to use that money towards my IRA, but YOLO! Hahahah. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We use seeds just because I don't want bugs from someone elses' clones. We can clone our own then.
For a short plant, you want indica's. A sativa will easily top 10' if you let it. Indicas are shorter and fatter.
Spider Farmer is a middle range light with a bit higher than middle range price. Good quality. We love ours.
a single plant takes 4 square feet for pot, and branch spread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom