Hawaii.......

• Thread starter SurfdOut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GoodGear

GoodGear

Living in the jungle is a tough one for growers for sure. So many diff microbes in the air and on the plants. Hard to keep them from getting a foothold. Lots of matenance for sure. And then if you have a wind event and it knocks out the power for a week just complicates things even more. I love living here but the climate def keeps a person on their toes
Kalamata red picture

137F52DF C233 4F32 A6D6 D315295901BF
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Living in the jungle is a tough one for growers for sure. So many diff microbes in the air and on the plants. Hard to keep them from getting a foothold. Lots of matenance for sure. And then if you have a wind event and it knocks out the power for a week just complicates things even more. I love living here but the climate def keeps a person on their toes
have a ton of respect for growers on the islands. especially those that run outdoor. people say stepping up from soil to hydro is hard, growing out there has to be a whole other level regardless of method. probably why the smoke that used to come to mainland from other there was so legendary. getting a good harvest meant insanely resilient genetics were grown.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We are going to be getting rid of our tents and accessories if any kama'aina is interested.

L

Lai_Zeus

What island you stay? We are getting ready to move and not planning on taking tents and stuff.

Kick you in the okole sativa. That's my favorite. Me and couch lock only agree at night.
I'm in Hilo
We are going to be getting rid of our tents and accessories if any kama'aina is interested.
I'm originally from Oahu but my wife is from Hilo so I decided to retire here recently. I come there quite a bit to visit and have VA appointments throughout the year. I could use some accessories stuff, can I check out what you have? I can leave it at my daughter's house and ship it back when I fly into Hilo, I usually don't have a suitcase because I have enough stuff there. I can bring a suitcase the next trip, I was just there on Sunday. Let me know what is good for you and I can pay you before hand so you don't have to hold it, my daughter is a nurse at Kaiser so she can meet whenever she is out of work so you can get rid of it. Thanks for your offer.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We are still using it at the moment.
2 tents, 2x4 and 4x4
2 spider farmer SF1000's
2. Yesence 2000 LEDs
Fabric pots, meters, pot caddies, soil, other goodies..
Fans for the tent.
Everything is in excellent condition.

Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter
Kalamata red picture
been a humbling ass experience for me thats for sure

Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter
I grow on my lanai mostly in a 5' x 10' dog kennel with a roof.
View attachment 1203918
Usually have 3 or 4 girls outside the kennel exposed to UV and rain. The kennel has free air flow. Oddly. I get more bud rot, and molds in the dry bud gang. So, clean rain rinses off spores and a roof allows bud-worm moths protection when laying eggs at night. (I find most bud rot is caused by bud-worm poop.)
Clean, slightly acidic rain, is nature's way to curb rot/mold. Think I'll go out tomorrow morning and spray the roofed harem with tap water. The trace of chloramine should take out/wash off mold spores and poop. Tap water deactivates stray pollen, and they'll dry by night fall.

On couch lock.
Time is money to commercial growers so they tend to grow plants that ripen fast. >8 weeks.
Most of those are couch lock.
Sativa kine can take 16 weeks to ripen here. But UP, it will get you.
I have some early harvest Sativa kine that I call "Working weed". One hit and it's full speed ahead for the next 6 hours.

Jus' two pennies,
Weeze
what water source are you using that has chloramine? Are your treating your catchment with that?

I will also add / say Big island is so diverse in climates - what works in waa waa vs orchidland vs eden rock etc. Hell, My spot in upper vs my other spot down 2 roads had different pressures. got a homie down in waa waa, and hes nearly always +10 degree -15% rh @ min vs my spot. such a crazy place to grow

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Our temps are different from a friend 2 blocks away. Very little here is stable weather wise, but overall, it's a fairly narrow range we stay in.
We live about 20 yards off the water at Pearl, so constant 90% humidity is normal.

L

Lai_Zeus

what water source are you using that has chloramine? Are your treating your catchment with that?

I will also add / say Big island is so diverse in climates - what works in waa waa vs orchidland vs eden rock etc. Hell, My spot in upper vs my other spot down 2 roads had different pressures. got a homie down in waa waa, and hes nearly always +10 degree -15% rh @ min vs my spot. such a crazy place to grow
I'm hoping to get some advise for Hilo (Waiakea Uka) because it's been super sunny lately but just last week it was dumping rain! Hilo can be so "predictably unpredictable"! I've had so many people say they are going to help me and all end up flakes. I'm a retired Veteran and really enjoy growing but hope to take my grows to the next level and justify all my work. Mahalo for any advise you can give me.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm hoping to get some advise for Hilo (Waiakea Uka) because it's been super sunny lately but just last week it was dumping rain! Hilo can be so "predictably unpredictable"! I've had so many people say they are going to help me and all end up flakes. I'm a retired Veteran and really enjoy growing but hope to take my grows to the next level and justify all my work. Mahalo for any advise you can give me.
Our grow is organic and we have to make sure there is a ton of airflow because of humidity. How are you growing? That will change things too.

L

Lai_Zeus

Our grow is organic and we have to make sure there is a ton of airflow because of humidity. How are you growing? That will change things too.
I have an outdoor grow tent that I have been successful up until harvest time and keeping the bud growing to get to full maturity. I start to get spots of mold on/in the buds about half way through. I still get a pretty good return but cutting out the molded spots kinda hurt! I veg a little longer so my plants are about 6 feet tall, that way I can at least yield a decent amount considering how much I cut out. This guy was helping me from Ka'u has abandoned me half way through, made me pay a bunch of money guaranteeing these super genetic plants. I'm pretty trusting because I always feel that people are good natured especially on the Big Island well I made a mistake with this guy.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

So many questions, so little time. :)

I stay Beeg Guy's Land, Kona side at a decent elevation.

We are on county water from wells. The county uses Chloramine instead of Chlorine, as do most water suppliers nowadays. So letting water "sit" to "out-gas" loses only dissolved air. That's a bad thing.
I want as much air in my water as possible. Use an aerator on my garden bib.
I fill jugs half full, adjust the PH down from 8.4, then shake them like a red-headed step-child on the way to the greenhouse.
Dissolved air is the reason that rain water for days does not "drown" outside container plants, yah.
Have not had a death from so called "over-watering" in 10 years.
The dryer sheets have eliminated Fungus gnat, Thrips, and Root aphids for the last 9 years and my minions, (predatory ants), keep me free from regular aphids and spider mites. So, my no-spray buds are clean and tasty.

But, I digress. What was the question?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The level of chloramine is normally so slight that it doesn't matter, but there is nothing wrong with sticking an air rock in your res to kill it off super quick.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have an outdoor grow tent that I have been successful up until harvest time and keeping the bud growing to get to full maturity. I start to get spots of mold on/in the buds about half way through. I still get a pretty good return but cutting out the molded spots kinda hurt! I veg a little longer so my plants are about 6 feet tall, that way I can at least yield a decent amount considering how much I cut out. This guy was helping me from Ka'u has abandoned me half way through, made me pay a bunch of money guaranteeing these super genetic plants. I'm pretty trusting because I always feel that people are good natured especially on the Big Island well I made a mistake with this guy.
Post some pix for us to check out. Lets see if we can help.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

So many questions, so little time. :)

I stay Beeg Guy's Land, Kona side at a decent elevation.

We are on county water from wells. The county uses Chloramine instead of Chlorine, as do most water suppliers nowadays. So letting water "sit" to "out-gas" loses only dissolved air. That's a bad thing.
I want as much air in my water as possible. Use an aerator on my garden bib.
I fill jugs half full, adjust the PH down from 8.4, then shake them like a red-headed step-child on the way to the greenhouse.
Dissolved air is the reason that rain water for days does not "drown" outside container plants, yah.
Have not had a death from so called "over-watering" in 10 years.
The dryer sheets have eliminated Fungus gnat, Thrips, and Root aphids for the last 9 years and my minions, (predatory ants), keep me free from regular aphids and spider mites. So, my no-spray buds are clean and tasty.

But, I digress. What was the question?
What do you grow in?

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

"What do you grow in?"

Shorts and sandals. :D

Started in the '60s with Supersoil in Ca.
Moved to Hawaii in '03 and fiddled around with Hydro.
Annex

Hydro is a pain, so is Rockwool.
Did DWC in 5 gallon buckets for a while worked well.
DWC

Then grew in coco for a couple years because it's like a solidstate hydro.

Getting a bit arthritic and forgetful as I age and don't need that much bud now that I've dropped my oil dosage, so have gone back to soil. indoors and out.
North wing medical branch

I love growing in "King's mix" so the nursery stopped carrying it. :)
Am now using Procision, (sic), Advantage. comes in huge, dry, bales.
Seems ok so far.
DSCF8854

Aloha
Weeze

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

"What do you grow in?"

Shorts and sandals. :D

Started in the '60s with Supersoil in Ca.
Moved to Hawaii in '03 and fiddled around with Hydro.
View attachment 1204230
Hydro is a pain, so is Rockwool.
Did DWC in 5 gallon buckets for a while worked well.
View attachment 1204229
Then grew in coco for a couple years because it's like a solidstate hydro.

Getting a bit arthritic and forgetful as I age and don't need that much bud now that I've dropped my oil dosage, so have gone back to soil. indoors and out.
View attachment 1204231

I love growing in "King's mix" so the nursery stopped carrying it. :)
Am now using Procision, (sic), Advantage. comes in huge, dry, bales.
Seems ok so far.
View attachment 1204233
Aloha
Weeze
We used a few different soils with mixed results until we found LUSH. The stuff is is the best we found, garens. We grow everything in it at this point. Veggies and MJ.

Latest posts

Top Bottom