Hawaii.......

• Thread starter SurfdOut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

Surfd, you dont get root mealybugs at your greenhouse?
I had gotten rid of mine but they came back on a few girls when i put them outside. I been super careful about keeping them off the ground in trays but I noticed a few girls going yellow early and sure enough soil is infested. I put a hose to one pot and kind of blasted the root zone with water and this thick layer of white wax and hundreds of larvae comes floating up to the surface.
The plants will finish but I know yields are being affected.

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

Also, I wonder if the root mealybugs may be related to why Hawaiian said his girls always go yellow. I remember he mentioned having them before when he was battling the mite problem.

SurfdOut

SurfdOut

No, haven't ever had those. Heard they are a bitch. Do you think mixing neem meal in with your soil would help?

SurfdOut

SurfdOut

I guess I should clarify, I have had them plenty in my outdoor nurseries, but not in any of my medical plants. I was using chemicals back then.

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

I got neem and karanja in my soil mix and i top dress with both as well. Also have crab/crustacean meal in my mix as well. I've done neem/karanja/essential oil drenches and hot water. food grade Limonene with a sticker spreaderis supposed to be effective but I havent picked up any.

Greyskull

Greyskull

So an HPD officer was having a BBQ over the weekend up Whilemena and went to show his guests his gun and shot and killed himself....how fucking dumb do you gotta be to do this? Sad on a multitude of levels.

was he running for Maui mayor, too?
we've got the load gunning for office atm....

SurfdOut

SurfdOut

Yeah, Maui has some great mayor options. I dig the dude that got tased.

SurfdOut

SurfdOut

I got neem and karanja in my soil mix and i top dress with both as well. Also have crab/crustacean meal in my mix as well. I've done neem/karanja/essential oil drenches and hot water. food grade Limonene with a sticker spreaderis supposed to be effective but I havent picked up any.

Fuck, you got me. Do whatever ya did the first time to get rid of them again.

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

first time I tossed out everything and mixed a fresh batch of soil which I still have. The mealybugs are everywhere in Hilo, I've found them in soil everywhere between hilo and papaikou. I might try the limonene next...its pretty cheap.

SurfdOut

SurfdOut

I been reading about root aphids and ground mealy bugs for the last hour or so. Let me know how it turns out.

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

Yeah, id like to find a fix that doesn't involve repotting everything or 20 minute dips in 120f water.

Limonene seems promising according to a study I found. They had greater than 94% mortality with 1% limonene mixed with a surfactant. They used a really expensive surfactant, so I'll have to come up with the poor mans version, I'm thinking yucca, aloe, and silica plus bronners soap. Food grade limonene is $24 off amazon for 32oz, same shit they add to give flavor to Clear brand concentrates.

Problem is delivering the drench to the inner most mass of the root ball where the bugs get super concentrated.

Heres a link to the study abstract, cant find the whole study at the moment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16022305/

The Hawaiian

The Hawaiian

I had the mealy bugs bro, they a re a bitch to get rid of. they were definitely affecting yield, but I don't think that's why my plants fade to yellow as they did that before I had the mealy bugs. since I used the stuff to get rid of the mites, chopped everything into clones and started again, I don't have them in my veg room, at least not yet. small infection of mites still but I got them again and I think I have it under control. I tried all kinds of things to get rid of them before with little success. I think you need to dunk the roots, but with what I don't know. good luck. what is that stuff that is made into a fine powder from oyster shells that shreds the insides of the bugs when they walk on it or inhale it or something? I know my outdoor friend used to use it back in the day with some success.

funny thing for me is like the last 25 plants I threw outside and had vegged for a couple months all turned male except one lol. aint that some shit. that isn't the first time its happened to me either. lucky I had backup stuff but fuck it if I hadn't been expecting at least a few of them to turn out female. fuckers lol aloha

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

The mealybugs are all over the neighborhood thats for sure. Every time I uproot something in the yard, i find them on the roots...some plants handle it no problem though and will look perfectly healthy.

I think I gotta stop using smart pots cuz the mealybugs just crawl right thru that shit...
Good thing my clone technique is on point and I have back ups.

Top Bottom