Head first into Hydroponics. A beginner's story.

• Thread starter GrumpAzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here's the one I had in mind. There's only about a million options when you get on Amazon. This one seemed to have everything I would need for an easy hookup in my bathroom.

Will absolutely work fine. Might be slight overkill for our needs. The automatic shutoff valve will most likely not work. It is supposed to shut off supply when the output is giving back pressure, but in my situation I have never gotten a single one to work correctly. They always seem to have waste water flowing no matter what you do.

steamroller

steamroller

You are going to hook it up permanent right?
If you disconnect it in a temp use type set up you will damage /ruin the filters and the TFC which is the expensive part.

Any system that takes 10 inch filters is a good one.
You can always replace crap filters cheaply if you have a common size.
I use BRS for my filter and parts.

@Moe.Red sounds like you need one of these;
Do you use a booster pump like the 8000 you showed me yesterday before your RO?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

If you disconnect it in a temp use type set up you will damage /ruin the filters and the TFC which is the expensive part.

Any system that takes 10 inch filters is a good one.
You can always replace crap filters cheaply if you have a common size.
I use BRS for my filter and parts.

@Moe.Red sounds like you need one of these;
Do you use a booster pump like the 8000 you showed me yesterday before your RO?
I have 3 RO systems currently. One I bought at BRS.

I replaced the valves with new ones of different brands.

Then I added these in to reduce pressure

DAA57112 1FD8 4602 8201 8021BD4F8F72

No matter what I do, short of turning off the valve, I always have waste water coming out of all 3 RO systems.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

I can pipe it into one of the fixtures in my restroom. I had originally planned on hooking it up to the sink while in use. I didn't realize that would damage things so I won't do that. I have no issues plumbing it in permanently.

Thanks a ton for that little tidbit. Saved me a huge headache, I'm sure.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

I drained the system last week and after filling it up again yesterday, I have a steady stream of bubbles running through the lines. Is this a big deal? Added heat or just extra noise?

I think it may be from the lack of glue on the piece of pipe running down into the resevoir. I left it unglued so I can pull out the resevoir if needed, without having to disassemble things. I'll add a male/female transition if it's gonna be hard on the pump.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Local supply house only has 4" exterior vents. Will it hurt the fan if I taper the line down from 6 to 4 inches at the end of the run?

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Local supply house only has 4" exterior vents. Will it hurt the fan if I taper the line down from 6 to 4 inches at the end of the run?
It's just gonna take a little over a minute for the air exchange tapering it down to 4", opposed to the 30 seconds or so if it remained 6" throughout the run. From what I can see, it won't hurt the fan, just cut it's cfms nearly in half.

N

newcastle112

I'm not sold on the SpiderFarmer light controller and may spring for the adapter so my AC controller can take over. The SF controller is much less customizable. As far as I can tell, you can only set the time, brightness and lighting schedules. It also seems like some tech from the 90's and cost a bit more than AC's.
hello hello, I have a question to ask you could you help me if I show you a picture of my plant

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

hello hello, I have a question to ask you could you help me if I show you a picture of my plant
I've never grown, so I probably won't be much help. Feel free to share it though. Someone here might be able to shed some light on your situation.

N

newcastle112

I've never grown, so I probably won't be much help. Feel free to share it though. Someone here might be able to shed some light on your situation.
I’m just getting used to this new side, so if anyone is able to help I’ll be appreciated. I don’t know what seed is it all but this is week 4 from seed and i don’t no if they auto flower seeds or not as there quite big for 4 weeks old , I was just looking for any ideas
DAEFC46A 63CC 4A1D B4D9 4B7778BA8EE4
9801F9B4 8BD0 44FC 8591 329002871812

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

I’m just getting used to this new side, so if anyone is able to help I’ll be appreciated. I don’t know what seed is it all but this is week 4 from seed and i don’t no if they auto flower seeds or not as there quite big for 4 weeks old , I was just looking for any ideasView attachment 1337105View attachment 1337106
From my perspective of zero experience and limited information, they look kinda muggy lol. Like hot and humid or overwatered.

I know absolutely nothing about deficiencies. I'm still in the building phase of my first grow and all my research has been into hydroponics. I haven't even begun looking into plant stress indicators.

You're better off getting the help you need elsewhere.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Finished the exhaust run today and added a filtered return grate in the wall between the room I'll keep air conditioned and the room I'm growing in. It still had pretty decent airflow after tapering down to a 4" dampered exit.
20230304 184409

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I drained the system last week and after filling it up again yesterday, I have a steady stream of bubbles running through the lines. Is this a big deal? Added heat or just extra noise?

I think it may be from the lack of glue on the piece of pipe running down into the resevoir. I left it unglued so I can pull out the resevoir if needed, without having to disassemble things. I'll add a male/female transition if it's gonna be hard on the pump.

View attachment 1335499
I'm assuming the clear vinyl hose will see nutrient run through it?

Might want to swap that out for black hose. Clear hose will promote algae in the line if it is exposed to light with nutrient in it.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

I'm assuming the clear vinyl hose will see nutrient run through it?

Might want to swap that out for black hose. Clear hose will promote algae in the line if it is exposed to light with nutrient in it.
It's outside the tent so it will be a relatively low wattage incandescent or equivalent for nutrient mixing purposes only.

After typing that out, I realize it will also get blasted when the tent is opened for routine maintenance. Could it be any worse than the light that penetrates the white pvc?

Thank you for the information, regardless. Something I haven't thought much about.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

It's outside the tent so it will be a relatively low wattage incandescent or equivalent for nutrient mixing purposes only.

After typing that out, I realize it will also get blasted when the tent is opened for routine maintenance. Could it be any worse than the light that penetrates the white pvc?

Thank you for the information, regardless. Something I haven't thought much about.
If it's leak proof I would leave it but just wrap it with some vinyl electrical tape to keep the light out. If it ever leaks then you can swap it out with black vinyl hose.

I ran a 30 gal reservoir, located outside next to my tent, pumping nutrient through a drip distribution head to watering rings. The line I had running from the reservoir to the drip head was clear vinyl half inch line. I was gone for 6 weeks and when I came back the clear line was green. The part of the line from the reservoir to the tent entrance wasn't AS green as the the part that entered the tent but there was enough even in that low light area for me to replace the line.

If you're running a sterile setup it might be ok since you usually run H2O2 in your feed water so that should keep your algae at bay but if not then I would consider wrapping it or replacing it.

Top Bottom