Head first into Hydroponics. A beginner's story.

• Thread starter GrumpAzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I received an email response from AC Infinity this evening. It seems to get more help I will have to go to their support chat option. I was told to reset my device and then set up the device all over again. I'll give it a try although I'm not confident it will work. I'm still getting strange glitches ... things turning on when not expected or not turning on when expected. I'll update again once I actually have a conversation with them.

The email I received did say they might send someone to the forum to help sort out these software issues. Hopefully they do just that ...
AC Infinity has live support. Why do you need to go to chat? That's all but worthless since the chat attendants are all level 1 CS. The same ones that tell you to reset your router when you call for internet help but move you to level 2 if that doesn't do it and you get put into Hold Hell.

One question I would have is "Am I going to have to reset constantly if the issue is a programming bug that you don't seem to want to acknowledge?". I can see if this issue was isolated to just you or maybe one other person on the site but I've heard this from more than a dozen people so this isn't some one off......

Their sales support is really good so this is disappointing......

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Nice.

Mine seems to be performing well. There's still a weird glitch between the .9 and .0 decimals, temperature and humidity. This caused my heater to kick off and on this morning when it hovered between 70.9 and 71. Instead of bouncing between those numbers, it bounces between 70.0 and 71.0. 70 kicking on the heat.

If it stays there long enough, it's even evident on the graph. It will show a sharp spike down to the nearest whole degree and then back up the next minute. Does that at every whole number reading, both temp and humidity. Not detrimental, but annoying.
My 67 will spike like that on occasion. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the probe.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

AC Infinity has live support. Why do you need to go to chat? That's all but worthless since the chat attendants are all level 1 CS. The same ones that tell you to reset your router when you call for internet help but move you to level 2 if that doesn't do it and you get put into Hold Hell.

One question I would have is "Am I going to have to reset constantly if the issue is a programming bug that you don't seem to want to acknowledge?". I can see if this issue was isolated to just you or maybe one other person on the site but I've heard this from more than a dozen people so this isn't some one off......

Their sales support is really good so this is disappointing......

Their "live support" has limited hours. It's between noon and 8:30pm in my time zone. It's also open Monday through Friday. I didn't try to get in chat tonight. I was still waiting to see if I would get their email.

Anyway, if you're referring to another live support option like a phone call, please fill me in. I went to their website. Clicked on the chat option and ended up getting an email with what I stated 2 days later.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Their "live support" has limited hours. It's between noon and 8:30pm in my time zone. It's also open Monday through Friday. I didn't try to get in chat tonight. I was still waiting to see if I would get their email.

Anyway, if you're referring to another live support option like a phone call, please fill me in. I went to their website. Clicked on the chat option and ended up getting an email with what I stated 2 days later.
Lemme check my phone log and see if I still have the number. I was able to get on and talk to someone that was pretty knowledgeable so I'm assuming my question was something only one of their engineers could answer? Dunno.......

When I log onto their website I don't see the chat option anymore.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Alright, everyone. The totes and RDWC system has been cleaned and refilled with RO water, 0ppm. I'll have to wait about a day or so before my 50 gallon RO resevoir is refilled, but I plan to start some nutrients in the system. I'll drain what's in the RDWC and refill with new RO, then add nutes to the new batch of water. I'll be hydrating and calibrating my pH probes over the next day or so.

I've read up on it before, but put it on hold while I finished up the rest of the system. What should I know before mixing my nutes? I've read to start with getting the pH down, then Cal-mag next. Any other particular order of things?

I grabbed a gallon pitcher and assume that I'll do the work in the pitcher, then multiply for the size of my system. Am I on the right track? (I'll be doing some more reading and research, just thought I'd see what you guys do)

I planned on mixing everything into my top-off res, then let it fill the bottom two, then refill and mix the top-off res again. Now, when I see that adjustments need to be made, do I make them in the lower totes (RDWC), the upper top-off res, or both? Say I want 400ppm in the system but it's showing 350 or whatever; do I leave the top-off res at the 400 and just adjust the RDWC to match or do I up the ppm in the top-off res and let it do the work?

I'm about to get my feet wet folks!

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I've read up on it before, but put it on hold while I finished up the rest of the system. What should I know before mixing my nutes? I've read to start with getting the pH down, then Cal-mag next. Any other particular order of things?

pH should be the last thing you do. Nutrient tends to drop pH. If you pH your clear water to your desired level first at the end of your mix your pH will be way off.

In regards to mixing in a particular order, I don't do it but then again I don't use a lot of amendments so maybe I lucked out and my secret sauce recipe just happens to play well together. If their is an order to my mix I usually add Cal/Mag and Hormex first then add base to desired PPM.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

pH should be the last thing you do. Nutrient tends to drop pH. If you pH your clear water to your desired level first at the end of your mix your pH will be way off.

In regards to mixing in a particular order, I don't do it but then again I don't use a lot of amendments so maybe I lucked out and my secret sauce recipe just happens to play well together. If their is an order to my mix I usually add Cal/Mag and Hormex first then add base to desired PPM.
Ok cool to know on the pH. From what I had gathered, I would've had to adjust the pH twice.

I should've also added that I'll be introducing Southern Ag's Fungicide and some Hygrozyme. I haven't at all looked into how to get those cultures going.

I've still got a lot of reading to do.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Ok cool to know on the pH. From what I had gathered, I would've had to adjust the pH twice.

I should've also added that I'll be introducing Southern Ag's Fungicide and some Hygrozyme. I haven't at all looked into how to get those cultures going.

I've still got a lot of reading to do.
The hygrozyme will culture through the exudants that the plant expells along with cleaning up dead root material keeping the roots healthy from root rot. The fungicide will keep the baddies in the water under control.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

20230410 210842

Shit's ready to keep an eye on shit.

Calibrated pen and probe this evening and that feels like one of my final steps. I'll be doing as much reading on nutrient routines as I can throughtout the week. May even play around with it some.

All in all it's looking like I should at least have a seed soaking on 4/20. It's my density!

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Are your seeds in the mail or something?
No. I have around 50 total that I bought off of NASC's 2 dollar menu.

This is my first go at growing and I've been trying to get as much as I can in order before popping a seed. It took a while for the room to come together but it's been an awesome journey so far.

Check out the whole post if you're interested. I sort of explain myself along the way. Feel free to offer up some pointers and answer some of my questions. Input is always appreciated.

D

Diverge

Nice.

Mine seems to be performing well. There's still a weird glitch between the .9 and .0 decimals, temperature and humidity. This caused my heater to kick off and on this morning when it hovered between 70.9 and 71. Instead of bouncing between those numbers, it bounces between 70.0 and 71.0. 70 kicking on the heat.

If it stays there long enough, it's even evident on the graph. It will show a sharp spike down to the nearest whole degree and then back up the next minute. Does that at every whole number reading, both temp and humidity. Not detrimental, but annoying.

I've also seen this with my AC Infinity controllers. It's annoying... Hopefully one day they fix it.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Hey all. I have a quick question...

I want to mark every gallon or every 2.5 gallons in my top-off res. To do so, I'll fill it bit by bit. I have my RO pump plumbed to a spicket in my grow closet.

Will it damage my pump to leave it running while I open and close the spicket to fill my gallon container? It seems as though that will be hard on it, however, it's still technically lubricated, being submerged. So will it overheat?

I ask because it will take another set of hands to unplug the pump every gallon or so, and with our baby needing mom's attention, I may not receive any help. It's roughly a 30 gallon resevoir.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

20230414 221326

Mixing went well enough. I followed GH's light feeding chart and it was pretty accurate as far as ppms. These levels look fine enough to throw a seedling in, so I think I'll start germinating one tomorrow.

I don't know about ya'll but I'm pretty stoked 👍

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

The pH drifted up to 6.6 overnight. I think it's due to the 8.0 pH RO water that remained in the plant resevoir getting circulated into the mix. I've added a squirt of pH Down and I'll keep an eye on it.

It got pretty cold last night and the res temps dropped to 68 degrees. That's not too could for my live culture, right? I have Hygrozyme and some Southern Ag's I want to add, which leads me to another question. When should that be added? Does it need the plant in the system to function properly, or should I go ahead and throw some in the res?

Richju2175

Richju2175

Hello and welcome. I've begun my journey into the life of sustainably smoking. From what I can tell, I have all of what I need to start my first RDWC grow. Virgin run down a double black diamond.

I've never grown before but I've always entertained the idea. My partner and I consume close to an ounce a week, so, ideally, I'd like to eventually produce a pound or so per harvest. I don't quite have the space for a perpetual grow and I feel like that should come after some experience, anyway. My initial expectations are to simply grow and harvest a healthy and beautiful plant.

I've aquired a handful of seeds from various strains. I couldn't help myself when I found the $2 menu on NASC. Of the four strains I purchased, this is the one I'll be starting with...View attachment 1329258
I went with the SpiderFarmer SE5000. It was affordable and seems to pack a punch. I grabbed one of their light controllers and a 5x5 tent. I went with AC Infinty for the fan because I liked the Controller 69. I bought three of their UIS controller outlets, also. Heater? Humidifier? A spare for reasons?
View attachment 1329260
I'll be plumbing in my pumps and totes tomorrow. The plant will be grown in a 14 gallon tote fed from another 14 gallon with a 32 gallon tote for the top-off resevoir. Whether or not I'm capable, I intend to LST and grow this sucker as horizontal as possible and SCROG it to fill a 3x3 area, giving me a foot of working space all around. With the 5x5 tent, I can take the light to the top, whether or not the fan ends up inside or out. That should allow for some stretch if things get out of hand. I've got a few SCROG rack ideas rolling around, not sure what I'll do when the time comes.
View attachment 1329263
Here's all of what I've got minus a bottle of GH Ripen and a bottle of Hygrozyme. I still don't know if I'll use all the additives on the first run, but I got them just in case. There's a lot there so I'll pass on making a list. I'd be more than happy to answers any questions if there's something you don't recognize or something you don't see that I might need.

I'm green here so gimme a break. I do love to learn and improve so I'm optimistic. I know that I'm in the presence of Kings, so I look forward to all the levels of advice and discussion to come.

Thanks for making it this far. I'll keep you all updated as the build progresses.
Looks like you have a good start I’m new too. Just starting out I have a 4 x4 tent 4 13 gal buckets plus my rez. Like to add a back up to that here soon.l have the infinity fan but don’t have the outlets you spoke of , definitely have to check that out as well . I definitely like to follow your journey very similar to mind I’m doing the RDWC as well.

Richju2175

Richju2175

Cool! I am on board this train. I just got a system running using the controller 69 with all that stuff. Works great so far. I put my spider farmer light on it w the adapter as well. For early veg I found it much easier to maintain temps and rh by having it cycle the exhaust vs auto or always on low speed. Good luck!
Definitely interested let me know how the infinity works I’m not quite up and running yet I have the same system. May I ask what adapter are you speaking of

Latest posts

Top Bottom