Head first into Hydroponics. A beginner's story.

• Thread starter GrumpAzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

One thing that has me curious, so far, is a weird thing that I keep seeing with my temp probe. Sometimes while I'm watching the 69 app, the temp will bounce between 76.0 and 77.0 with no decimal increments. Just straight jumping a whole degree back and forth? What's up with that?

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

One thing that has me curious, so far, is a weird thing that I keep seeing with my temp probe. Sometimes while I'm watching the 69 app, the temp will bounce between 76.0 and 77.0 with no decimal increments. Just straight jumping a whole degree back and forth? What's up with that?
Figured it out, I think. It's when the temp is right between 76.9 and 77.0. It is for some reason not switching the zero. Once it's down below 76.9, it functions accordingly. It did this at every whole degree increment I've checked.

I just did a firmware update a few days ago. Is anyone else noticing this on their controller 69?

simonkay

simonkay

I have a water softener and RO systems.

The RO filters seem to last forever. My out of the RO filter PPM is less than 20. šŸ‘
Hi moe,
Do you reminalise or add anything to ro water before feeding?
I have ro @40ppm should i worry about deficiencies

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

How important is negative pressure in my grow tent?

I've been trying to keep the temp and humidity in check. I have troubles keeping the temps down when the light is turned up above 60% so I added an inline fan to the intake ductwork. In doing so, I had to up the minimum speed of the exhaust fan if I want to keep negative pressure in the tent. The temps are much easier to keep in check, however, now my humidifier can't keep up. I can turn the exhaust down some, allowing me to better stabilize the temp and humidity, but that then creates a positive pressure in the tent. How detrimental is this?

Keep in mind, there are no plants in the tent yet. I've read that a plant will help up the humidity, but never growing before, I have no reference as to how much exactly. The humidifier runs constant and keeps it between 40-50%. I have the summer months in mind. The fan will probably have to work harder to vent the heat, but will the plant help by adding enough humidity to the room?

I plan on propagating in the tent soon and have been trying to keep my humidity up towards 80. It's doable with the light on 30%. I've just been trying to look forward and get a head start on combatting my hypothetical future heat issues.

I'm a "chronic" overthinker.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

How important is negative pressure in my grow tent?

I've been trying to keep the temp and humidity in check. I have troubles keeping the temps down when the light is turned up above 60% so I added an inline fan to the intake ductwork. In doing so, I had to up the minimum speed of the exhaust fan if I want to keep negative pressure in the tent. The temps are much easier to keep in check, however, now my humidifier can't keep up. I can turn the exhaust down some, allowing me to better stabilize the temp and humidity, but that then creates a positive pressure in the tent. How detrimental is this?

Keep in mind, there are no plants in the tent yet. I've read that a plant will help up the humidity, but never growing before, I have no reference as to how much exactly. The humidifier runs constant and keeps it between 40-50%. I have the summer months in mind. The fan will probably have to work harder to vent the heat, but will the plant help by adding enough humidity to the room?

I plan on propagating in the tent soon and have been trying to keep my humidity up towards 80. It's doable with the light on 30%. I've just been trying to look forward and get a head start on combatting my hypothetical future heat issues.

I'm a "chronic" overthinker.
Yes plants will add humidity to the tent but that usually spikes a few hours after feeding. I'm just guessing from anecdotal experience but I would venture to say plant presence will increase humidity in the tent around 10%. What size humidifier to you have? What is the ambient climate like in your area on average?

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Yes plants will add humidity to the tent but that usually spikes a few hours after feeding. I'm just guessing from anecdotal experience but I would venture to say plant presence will increase humidity in the tent around 10%. What size humidifier to you have? What is the ambient climate like in your area on average?
I have a levoit 6L ultrasonic humidifier, but would like to pre-order AC's T9. We'll see. The tent is in a small room that stays around 70-74 degrees most of the time. The tents intake is ducted into a small hallway where I have a window AC that has been keeping the temps in the mid to low 60's.

So far, I've been able to keep the tent under 78. With the addition of an intake fan, it stays at 73-74, but with positive air pressure. I've read that negative pressure is what you want. The heater has even kicked on a couple times today. It comes on a 72.

So, how important is negative pressure?

Last edited:
simonkay

simonkay

I have a levoit 6L ultrasonic humidifier, but would like to pre-order AC's T9. We'll see. The tent is in a small room that stays around 70-74 degrees most of the time. The tents intake is ducted into a small hallway where I have a window AC that has been keeping the temps in the mid to low 60's.

So far, I've been able to keep the tent under 78. With the addition of an intake fan, it stays at 73-74, but with positive air pressure. I've read that negative pressure is what you want.

So how important is negative pressure?
Alot of ppl use negative pressure to keep smells from leaking out the room, its not necessarily beneficial for the plants from what ive heard. Im sure it was bruce bugbee who said they're may even be bad for the plants over time but thats only if its too strong.
But it is good for fresh air exchange meaning you get a constant flow of co2 but you can still turn your fan down and get enough, other benefit is constant airflow to minimise wet spots, so all about balance

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Alot of ppl use negative pressure to keep smells from leaking out the room, its not necessarily beneficial for the plants from what ive heard. Im sure it was bruce bugbee who said they're may even be bad for the plants over time but thats only if its too strong.
But it is good for fresh air exchange meaning you get a constant flow of co2 but you can still turn your fan down and get enough, other benefit is constant airflow to minimise wet spots, so all about balance
I do run the exhaust constantly so there's at least SOME consistent airflow. The intake fan just has too much power, even on low, to keep negative pressure AND keep the humidity above 60%. It drops to 40% when keeping the pressure negative.

I have two 9" fans, one high and one low. They're cheap so I can add another one if it seems like more circulation is necessary.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

So far, I've been able to keep the tent under 78. With the addition of an intake fan, it stays at 73-74, but with positive air pressure. I've read that negative pressure is what you want.

So how important is negative pressure?
AFAIUI, it's not really NECESSARY in regards to the actual plant biology. It's more about keeping odor out of places you don't want it. What you don't want is TOO MUCH negative air pressure. As long as your tents walls aren't rigidly sucked in you should be fine. My tent walls slightly suck in but I can easily move them back and forth so what you want is SLIGHT negative pressure. Just enough so nothing really escapes.

I have the ACI T3 on backorder. It's supposed to ship in mid May. Can't wait until it gets here. I currently have an ultrasonic that works fine but having to manually turn it on and off when it goes out of range is annoying especially when their are products like the ACI humidifiers that can take care of that without you having to intervene constantly.

What I've noticed with my lights and tent is each light adds around 4 or 5 degrees to the ambient air coming into the tent. My lights are 275w quantum boards. I have 2 in the tent......with one more 150w on the way(thanks ViparSpectra!!!) and my lights off temps hover around 70* and with them on my temps hover around 75* - 80*. My tent is located in a small office as the lung room and has central air conditioning so home temps are around 72* - 73*.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Good to know about the pressure. I won't worry too much about it for now as I'll only have one plant in the tent and don't anticipate an overwhelming odor.

My humidifier has a turn knob as it's means of control. I then plugged it into one of AC's UIS outlet controller. It then plugs into and is controlled by the controller 69. The outlets are where it's at. My heater and humidifier are both on one and they basically run themselves.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Good to know about the pressure. I won't worry too much about it for now as I'll only have one plant in the tent and don't anticipate an overwhelming odor.

My humidifier has a turn knob as it's means of control. I then plugged it into one of AC's UIS outlet controller. It then plugs into and is controlled by the controller 69. The outlets are where it's at. My heater and humidifier are both on one and they basically run themselves.
Agreed! That's why I sprung for the T3. I could have gone the controller route also but I like that the T3 will taper the humidity it's producing so that it's not all or nothing once it goes out of range. I like the hose attachment that allows me to point it at a particular area or just generally pump it in with the unit outside of the tent if I want more floor space. I may pick up one of the UIS outlet controllers for a small heater if I can't control my lights off temps but for now I'm able to keep it within a 10* temp swing.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

Agreed! That's why I sprung for the T3. I could have gone the controller route also but I like that the T3 will taper the humidity it's producing so that it's not all or nothing once it goes out of range. I like the hose attachment that allows me to point it at a particular area or just generally pump it in with the unit outside of the tent if I want more floor space. I may pick up one of the UIS outlet controllers for a small heater if I can't control my lights off temps but for now I'm able to keep it within a 10* temp swing.
Oh for sure. Don't get me wrong, AC's cloudforge series look freaking awesome and I can see why they're sold out. I'd like to get one pre-ordered before May because I feel as though they'll sell out quickly. I'm gonna need some help keeping my rH in a suitable range when the summer months hit. That'll be about the time my lights are on blast and I assume the fan will we working a lot harder than it is now.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Oh for sure. Don't get me wrong, AC's cloudforge series look freaking awesome and I can see why they're sold out. I'd like to get one pre-ordered before May because I feel as though they'll sell out quickly. I'm gonna need some help keeping my rH in a suitable range when the summer months hit. That'll be about the time my lights are on blast and I assume the fan will we working a lot harder than it is now.
As long as you got control of the lung room, outside ambient weather shouldn't have much effect.

simonkay

simonkay

I do run the exhaust constantly so there's at least SOME consistent airflow. The intake fan just has too much power, even on low, to keep negative pressure AND keep the humidity above 60%. It drops to 40% when keeping the pressure negative.

I have two 9" fans, one high and one low. They're cheap so I can add another one if it seems like more circulation is necessary.
Have you tried putting a bug screen or mosquito net on it? I had a similar problem and just layered 3 sheets of mosquito net with rubber bands onto the extractor fan. Seemed to slow my down by a quarter then i jist put a bit of duct tape to restrict a lil more airflow

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

AFAIUI, it's not really NECESSARY in regards to the actual plant biology. It's more about keeping odor out of places you don't want it. What you don't want is TOO MUCH negative air pressure. As long as your tents walls aren't rigidly sucked in you should be fine. My tent walls slightly suck in but I can easily move them back and forth so what you want is SLIGHT negative pressure. Just enough so nothing really escapes.

I have the ACI T3 on backorder. It's supposed to ship in mid May. Can't wait until it gets here. I currently have an ultrasonic that works fine but having to manually turn it on and off when it goes out of range is annoying especially when their are products like the ACI humidifiers that can take care of that without you having to intervene constantly.

What I've noticed with my lights and tent is each light adds around 4 or 5 degrees to the ambient air coming into the tent. My lights are 275w quantum boards. I have 2 in the tent......with one more 150w on the way(thanks ViparSpectra!!!) and my lights off temps hover around 70* and with them on my temps hover around 75* - 80*. My tent is located in a small office as the lung room and has central air conditioning so home temps are around 72* - 73*.

Looks like I'm joining this party a bit late in the game.

I have the AC Infinity 69 controller and I purchased the outlet plug to run a small heater. I've got the temperature triggers set but this plug can also be set to run on high and low humidity triggers as well. The outlet plug was only $20 so it doesn't break the bank. It should allow you to run your current humidifier through the AC controller. I looked at the ACI humidifiers and price-wise they seem to be a decent purchase. It's the wait time that kind of turns me off. That and even though I like my ACI controller, it's still got some bugs that need worked through. I'm looking forward to future software updates with hopes they resolve them all.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I didn't see this above when I made my post ... It's exactly what I was trying to say about the outlet plugs. They work very well and might be one of the stronger points of the ACI controller.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

That T9 is a big boy! How big a room are you humidifying? I have a 5 x 5 tent and the current humidifier reservoir is 1.2 gallons and I only have to refill it once a day. The T3 I have on order is double the res space as the one I have and I expect it'll use less water since it'll cutoff once it reaches my set point rather than going over and using more water.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

That T9 is a big boy! How big a room are you humidifying? I have a 5 x 5 tent and the current humidifier reservoir is 1.2 gallons and I only have to refill it once a day. The T3 I have on order is double the res space as the one I have and I expect it'll use less water since it'll cutoff once it reaches my set point rather than going over and using more water.
It's only a 5x5 for my first grow but for the price, the T9 is a badass humidifier. The T7 is great, I'm sure, but that T9 would probably keep up if the exhaust needs to run at 10 when the light runs at 100% for flower. I can't keep the humidity above 40% with the temps around 77 and light at max output. Maybe the plant itself can cover the extra 10-15% I'd like to keep it at.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

My T6, IMO, is too small for the tent. I would have preferred a T8 but the T6 runs for around 15 - 30 minutes trying to get the specs back in line and I experience maybe 3% humidity drop at most. Sometimes nothing at all so I wouldn't worry too much about the fan affecting humidity much.

The advantage I see with the T9 is the reservoir size. I wouldn't have to fill that thing up for a month!!!šŸ˜ƒ

Latest posts

Top Bottom