Heavy 16 User Superthread

• Thread starter Ever after
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

I just finished my first run with Heavy 16 full line (except Roots) and here are some of my thoughts and observations:

I've been growing the same strain in coco for about 2 years. So far, these were some of the biggest, most dense buds I've had with this strain. I had branches snapping in week 6. Never had to deal with that before. I'm starting my 2nd run soon, and I'll be using tomato cages or trellis net for sure.

Quality wise, the final product doesn't seem to be any better than my previous runs with Canna or other nutrient lines (concerning frost, smell, and color). I haven't got a final weight yet so I'll see how that goes.

Cost was about the same as well, if not a little more. Prime is some expensive shit.

One thing I like is that if you use the whole line and mix according to the schedule, the pH comes out just about perfect. If you don't use Fire you'll be using a lot of pH up. This is part of the reason mixing and matching other lines can cause problems.

One product I will always use from now on is H16 Foliar, regardless of whichever nutrient line I'm using. No more Calcium deficiencies, and my leaves stayed more green and healthy throughout flower than before. I stopped using it around week 2 or 3.

The Prime and Fire however, I think these two should be used at a lower rate than the H16 feed schedule suggests. I just think that is way more P & K than plants need, and could possibly stress them out or cause imbalances in your medium. I might even use them just once a week unless you see your plants want more.

This brings me to a question. Canna and a quite a few other lines only use a PK boost for one week during the flower cycle, usually week 5 for a 8-9 week strain. H16 starts out with 1ml/ gallon of their PK boost (Fire) and increases up to 4ml/gallon, but they never back off until the last week. So which is optimal? If you get the same result with one week of PK 13/14 with Canna vs 8 weeks of Fire, are you just flushing nutrients down the drain?

I may try doing a side by side with 6 plants feeding Canna and 6 plants on H16. Or I might just use the full H16 schedule for the whole run, while half the plants only get Fire in week 2 and week 5 and the other 6 get the full line all the way through.

Apollo13

Apollo13

I may try doing a side by side with 6 plants feeding Canna and 6 plants on H16. Or I might just use the full H16 schedule for the whole run, while half the plants only get Fire in week 2 and week 5 and the other 6 get the full line all the way through.
I would really like to see that.

Billygoat

Billygoat

I've been using Hvy 16 for about a little over a year now. I love the results and seen my weight almost double with the strain I've been growing for over 2 years. Been grow Jahgoo for over 2 years straight and yields have almost doubled. I'm using the full line with the heavy dose and foliar feeding also.

The only other thing I add to the mixture is Terpinator to increase resin and smell. Love the full line and will never look back. I also like that my PH is perfect and don't need to be adjusted. Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread.

Take care,
BG

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

Yes sir I do, but just there base nutes A&B, I havent tried any of there other stuff yet, but im going to, being how Advanced nutes changed up a bunch of there nutes lines that I was using, (stupid fuckers pissed me off), I will be switching to more of the Heavy16 line, U guys forget I was one of the testers for heavy16 before this line ever was sold in the stores, I did a couple of grows on here using it..............GM

sdgrower

sdgrower

Yes sir I do, but just there base nutes A&B, I havent tried any of there other stuff yet, but im going to, being how Advanced nutes changed up a bunch of there nutes lines that I was using, (stupid fuckers pissed me off), I will be switching to more of the Heavy16 line, U guys forget I was one of the testers for heavy16 before this line ever was sold in the stores, I did a couple of grows on here using it..............GM
Thanks for the reply @GrowMaster
I remember when you showed us the way with Heavy 16 and beds. Respect

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

I remember your posts a while ago, what ml's are you running your base at?

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

I would really like to see that.

I didn't do a side by side, because I really didn't feel like messing with two reservoirs. But I did run the Heavy 16 much different this time.

For one, I never went over 80% of the recommended feed schedule. I used 10ml/gal A&B for most of the grow, then dropped it down to 8ml for the 2nd to last week.

The second change I made is only feeding the Prime and Fire for the first 2 weeks, then for week 5, then I changed the res and went back to plain A&B with Roots and Zyme for the rest of the grow. Basically, I did like I said and treated it more like the Canna feed schedule instead of dumping tons of bloom supplements on them the whole way through. The amounts that H16 has on their schedule are a complete waste IMO, and really hurts the quality.

This time, my buds look more dense, and are much more frosty. They still stayed green and healthy the whole way through. They don't look as swollen, but they look perfect and I'm willing to bet they don't shrink as much during drying as they did last time. That's the main thing that shocked me from my first run with H16 was the shrinkage. It was more than I was used to when running other nutrient lines. Most of all I feel better knowing that my plants are doing just as well without feeding them too much, because I know that had to stress them out.

Last edited:
MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

As for H16 doubling yields... it has the same basic handful of chemicals as any other nutrient line really. If you double your yields after growing the same strain for 2 years I'd attribute that more to getting your strain and environment dialed in than changing the name brand of nutrients you use. People said the same things about H&G when that was being hyped. I've been growing the same strain for 3 years. I've tried different nutrient brands out of curiosity and noticed slight differences in quality, mostly due to feed rates or concentration. Honestly though environment is more important than the brand of NPK you use any day. Whatever works best for you and your style of growing is going to give you the best results.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I'm feeling a bit adventurous and will be trying out the heavy16 base in my under current. Been running GH since 2002 but ever since their buyout I've been trying to convince myself to try something new
I hear you on this also not real big on Scott's buying them, Have been waiting for the New Improved labels to start showing up on bottles.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I'm in week 2 of flower and plants doing great.
I'm running the heavy feed schedule at 50% strength, feed feed water.
When I ran schedule full strength I didn't get as good results. Plants have been very happy with less.

Peace

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

Hey guys, long time no post. im glad to see this thread has really taken off. Im still running Heavy 16 with great success. Running DTW 3 gal coco smart pots following the Heavy 16 nutrient calculator full strength. No CalMag. day 23 and things are really stacking hard!!!

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

This brings me to a question. Canna and a quite a few other lines only use a PK boost for one week during the flower cycle, usually week 5 for a 8-9 week strain. H16 starts out with 1ml/ gallon of their PK boost (Fire) and increases up to 4ml/gallon, but they never back off until the last week. So which is optimal? If you get the same result with one week of PK 13/14 with Canna vs 8 weeks of Fire, are you just flushing nutrients down the drain?

Ok guys, I did some reading and I think I understand why Canna and many other nutrient lines only use PK 13/14 during week 5, versus Heavy 16 where their feed chart says to use Prime and Fire almost the whole 8 weeks (Fire being the PK 13/14 equivalent).

Canna's website says they recommend only using PK 13/14 for one week to avoid a buildup of P&K in the medium, which can raise the EC and lockout other elements. This mainly applies to mediums like coco. I suppose you don't really have to worry as much with hydroton or DWC, where it can be flushed much easier. I found this bit of info on the Canna website here, under the section "feeding your plants based on prescription."

This isn't set in stone, of course, but it's useful information. Some strains can tolerate stress from excess nutrients better, and it also depends on your medium and feeding rates. I just had a feeling I was flushing expensive supplements down the drain, so I went looking for answers. There are also some more good articles in the grow guide section of their site.

Even before I stumbled upon any of this, I changed my feeding regimen with H16 on my 2nd run. I cut back on the Prime and Fire, using it only once a week at about half the recommended dose. I gave them a nice full dose for week 5, then cut it out the rest of the grow. The results were even better than my first run.

W

whocares

Im sure his has been answered. Im on my phone and browsing 50 pages sucks. I wish the search function would find "ml" but i guess its to short to search for.

What i would like to know is for those of you feeding heavy in straight coco with RO water and doing multifeeds, how many ml do you feed per gallon in flower. today is day 31 for og 18. So week 5. Im feeding 4x per day in 2 gal smart pots. Watering to 20% runoff every feed.

If your just feeding base how many ml? 6ml is 1.2ec in my ro water. 8ml is 1.6ec. Heavy's chart recommends 14ml which is 2.8ec

Im not currently using any other heavy product. I have their veg base which rocked. Their flower base and their foliar.

I tried aptus this run. Loved the fasilitor and the start boost. The ecozen and massboost seem ok. But not liking the peakboost, bloomboost, finale boost. Something about the peakboost crushes the ph (3.8) needs 4-5ml per gallon of ph up to correct it. Not sure ill use it anymore.

Think i will try heavy's whole line next run.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom