Helicopters with Infra-red cameras - should we be worried?

• Thread starter John Smith Esq.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

John Smith Esq.

Hello Farmers, hope you are all copasetic today.

I wanted to get a discussion going about IR cameras (specifically FLIR-forward looking Infra Red used by police) and the myths surrounding them as many a grower seem to worry about police helicopters using this tech to detect their grow rooms. I myself have heard people use this a the sole reason for not growing their own Buddha.

So the myth is that -IR cameras can see through walls.
Although a common belief in hollywood this is simply not the case. Infra red Cameras can only detect heat via the IR radiation eminating from it so unless something hot or the air on the other side of the wall is hot and therefore warming the wall itself then an IR camera simply can NOT see through walls or any other solid / liquid object for that matter.

This is demonstrated abundantly by those Police Cop Action shows, ever seen IR footage of a helicopter chasing down a suspect - funny how the glowing red image of his body heat disappears whenever he goes under a tree or in a house or even gets in a car. but when the guy (or gal in somecases!) stops for any length of time their body heat will warm, via conduction, whatever they are touching and this will show up on camera provided there isnt something else in between the camera and hot object.

so hopefully clearing that up i want to move the topic on to risks for growers specifically and possible ways of minimising said risk. The problem is that in most setups there will be alot of warm air generated by the lighting and it is this that makes it hard to mask the IR sig of a grow op, well that and warm objects conducting their heat to other objects.

it may help if i clear up a few facts before going any further - this is abit basic so you may want to skip but for those not up on their science may find it useful.

heat can travel by three ways only
Conduction - you touch something hot with finger, heat from the object is transfered from it to your finger and consiquently your finger warms up.
Convection - fundamentally the same as conduction but instead of direct contact it uses a gas (ie. Air) to transfere heat. this is how the incorrectly named 'radiator' in your home works.
Radiation - this is what Infra Red is and is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in waves emitted from any object above -273c (absolute zero) in all directions much like the filament in a light bulb, it needs no medium to travel but is slowed or halted by just about every form of matter of varying amounts including liquids and gases. for example this is how the Sun gets its heat to our planet through 93,000miles of complete vacuum. A curiuos thing really as is not hot istself but will cause objects to heat up on contact, ie the difference between ambient temperature and radiant temperatue is caused by IR.

To make it clear you can NOT get rid of IR radiation without eliminating the heatsource itself - this would break the laws of physics, but as FLIR gives off no emmisions itself but merely picks up external emmisions you can mask you IR sig by using certain materials and making sure nothing warm is touching the outer walls of where you grow thus lowering your overall emmision of IR. Also if using a fan to vent externally the longer the ducting the better as this gives the unwanted air the chance to return to ambient temps and will be less visible on FLIR - this is arguably the largest area of concern for any wanting to mask their IR sig.
Thought also must be given to where you grow, in a house is the safest bet and is nigh undetectable to FLIR as 99% of everything used in housing construction is designed to block heat transfere therefore IR aswell, things like insulation, the cavities in walls, double glazing -the list goes on.. coupled with the amount of exsisting heatsources in a domestic enviroment make it very difficult to detect a grow light.
People who grow in an outdoor solitary building, like a garden shed for example are most at risk from IR detection as there is more chance of heat conducting from one object to another and eventually raising the temps albeit slightly of the outter walls which WILL be visible to any FLIR thermographer hovering above.

For those growing in outhouses/sheds and the like as long as your grow room walls are ambient to the touch on the outside which is easily acheived by wrapping the room in some type of insulation, ThermaFoil for example. And the air temps around your grow area (not the grow room itself) arent excessively above ambient then your thermal signiture will be masked by ambient thermals completely.
Also putting glass pains around the outside of your grow room ontop of a layer of insulation is a good idea as its good at dissipating IR, i myself put a large bedroom mirror ontop of my grow room, however it is a good conductor of heat so make sure its not touching anything warm or the glass itself with start to generate more IR than ambient.

Anyway i hope this clears some of the fallicies revolving this technology and more importantly eases people's conscience on the matter.

Peace

J

John Smith Esq.

just to add folks - although i talk like it sometimes im no expert this is all from researching the net, avidly. please let me know if there are any faults.

Thanks.

M

mr english

Hey john

great thread,been thinking about this a lot lately, up until watching a programme on bbc3 recently i had not 2 many worries about this but after watching it i was not so relaxed,it was set in the somerset area and it followed the local force flying around with equipment supplied by british gas or npower i can`t quite remember,this was day time and they found 3 houses they suspected had grows going on and when they flew over with this equipment u could c slight heat signatures and i mean very slight not glowing like u c most of the times with these machines,and when they raided these premises they found something every time.and apparently they go up in the chopper quite often just 2 look for grows and are finding them constantly,so makes u wonder!

I`ve also heard a/c units can mask heat signatures,do u know if this is true?

Thanks

D

DoubleDub

Nice post man, lots of info.

Sounds like the UK is actively using this technology.

In the U.S. FLIR cannot be used as a probable cause to enter a residence. Thats not to say they cant use FLIR to target a home and then find some other reason to apply for a search warrant and then enter, but honestly that's a big hassle just for weed. If you live in Cali you don't really have much to worry about unless your running a giant op. Theres just simply too many grows for them to even deal with. Quite honestly I think they would rather turn a blind eye and focus their resources on more serious crime than prosecute a bunch of little medical grows that will get dropped in court regardless.

N

nog

do you know anyone who was busted for not having a tv licence who got caught because he was sussed by a detector van, i bet not , everyone who gets busted is either because someone grassed on them, they are not on the list of licence holders, the wankers just assume you must have a telly, or because the shop that lies to you to get your details saying bullshit about warrantys etc, informs the licence people that you have a telly, they got onto me when i bought one 4 my daughter? the detector van was an ot frightener to scare you. unless you are running a few thousand watts i wouldnt worry about choppers spotting you. they like us to be scared, be scared because theres terrorists??????????? ooooo all of a sudden we have to be scared of terrorists, whatever happened to the IRA etc, the bader meinhoff, the red brigades, etta etc etc, why all of a sudden are we to be para about muslims, ffs?? that last few terrorist attacks in the uk have come from mad republicans and non-conformists in ireland fa to do with muslims, what you should worry about are things like cameras, using bank or credit cards to buy shit, allways use cash. never tell anyone anything and even if they suspect and question you still deny it, not even mates, no one, ime not even sure if posting this reply is a good idea; only joking, anyway dont worry, make a nice strong one and chill out.
also its a good idea to have your lights on during daylight hours, the chopper round here seems mainly to be out a night.

J

John Smith Esq.

Thanks

Cheers bud, if you get rid of the heat you get rid of the IR as well so an a/c if used correctly would help mask in IR sig

ive spoken to a few coppers out of working hours and nearly all have said that theres next to no chance of being busted by FLIR unless youve got a jungle operation in you house or your sloppy and light up the street with IR which small personal ops would have a difficult time doing. The easiest way of getting busted is telling your mates what your doing or selling product on to randoms, of all the people i know only 3/4 of my closest friends know what im doing and i will deny it to anone who asks about it friend or not. the second largest threat i feel comes from Norm the nosy neibour who wouldnt think twice about calling the dibble on guesswork alone. And beleive when i say theres one in every street, we caught ours standing on a stool in her bedroom so she could see into our garden when we were having a few people over. mmm, pathetic much.

Nog - i agree with your point that there is always something somebody will have you worry about..
-Mellenium Bug
-2006 world end date (pagans)
-2012 world end date (myans)
-Hadron collider making a black hole that will kill us all
-Asteriod impacts
-Solar Flares / CME's
-SARS
-Swine Flu
-Bird Flu
-the knife weilding maniac thats behind you right now..
...the list goes on and on and on and probably has since Mr Caveman explained to Mrs Caveman she shouldnt go outside incase she was eaten by a wooly mamouth. just fearmongering imo and listening/acting on it only serves to feed the mongerers.

@ DoubleDub - you guys are lucky, the law over there seems to be alot more protective of privacy, over here the law is that maluable it can be twisted to suit almost any situation you need it to based on somebodies words alone, especially so in county courts. Identity cards are a perfect example of how privacy is not respected- lets punish everyone to get a few no-gooders - yay!!

hopefully everyone will come to there senses and legalise the bloody plant soon which would solve so many more problems than the few potential ones it may cause, which seem soley based on 'well it causes phycosis, yeah by a factor of less than 6% reasearch suggests - really something to be worried about.

rant over..Stay Smart ppl.

now for some :bong2:

Peace

J

John Smith Esq.

Mr English - can you remeber what the programme was called matey, cant find it on iplayer but they ususally only stay on there for a week or less anyway.. i'd quite like to watch that!

Cheers.

B

boroboro

Thanks

Well, A/C will take the heat out of the room, so there isn't any heat left in the room to show up on FLIR. The A/C has to put that heat somewhere else, though, it doesn't just disappear. FLIR would see heat coming from the hot side of the A/C system. That might look normal enough, or it might stand out. Running A/C in the winter or when it's only 50 or 60 deg F outside would probably stand out as abnormal.

M

mr english

Mr English - can you remeber what the programme was called matey, cant find it on iplayer but they ususally only stay on there for a week or less anyway.. i'd quite like to watch that!

Cheers.

yes mate it`s called cannabis:britain`s secret farms.

N

nog

is it the chinese bloke from grow your own drugs?
the best advice for not getting busted is KEEP SCHTUM.
i use cfls for vege, hps on during daylight for bud.
and obviously shit like a 1000 fold increase in electricity consumption is going to be on top to fuck, just think about every angle deal with it and tell NO ONE

D

Dr.G13

Oh Mythbusters they proved that double pane windows block IR. I forget what the episode was, but they set up a bunch of alarm systems and IR was one of em. they were invisible. Has something to do with the liquid inbetween the two pieces of glass or something dont quote me on the reasoning lol it was long ago.

hahaha im not saying we should build glass grow rooms lol.

B

BoogerGreen

Yeah, that show was interesting to watch. It seemed that some of the places they busted were just rooms in a house with maybe a piece of plastic over the window with a couple thousand watts. Anyways, that doesnt really matter, dont really have a point hereon that.

I could not believe the amount of scaremongering that that show put towards growers. And the people that were on there that had "Problems" supposedly because of cannabis, well they seemed to actually just have problems in their own lives that needed to be sorted out, and those problems were exacerbated by them smoking, and that smoking weed wasnt the cause.

It also made a good point about distinguishing(Well not distinguishing!) between commercial ops, and small personal grows. The UKs solution would maybe be to limit how much light each person can use, say a 600 watt or 1000 watt flowering and small on for veg. And increase penalties for commercial growers who are reaping in a big amount of money without paying taxes on it!

There is now a commmercial medical research facility in the UK producing Sativex which isnt even licensed for use in the UK! Absolutely Ridiculous!

Right another thing that is just ridiculous, people in the UK pay VAT on Seeds and Grow Equipment and the Electricity needed to run those. And it is illegal????!!!!!????!!!!????!!!
Just doesnt make sense that part!>!>!>!?>?! I mean they can take the taxes on equipment and seeds and put that back into Law Enforcement to bust people which are then in Prison being paid for by taxes! Something about that is just not right whatsoever!!!!!!!!!

The other thing that I was thinking , Secret Jardin make claims that their tents are IR Blocking. Well it would be nice to have some of those setup for tests next to houses that are using other brands of tents, or just makeshift grow rooms! How good do they work for that, say if you were running 4 x 1000 watt HPS ?!?!?!?!?!?!

C

cheyenne

do you know anyone who was busted for not having a tv licence who got caught because he was sussed by a detector van, i bet not , everyone who gets busted is either because someone grassed on them, they are not on the list of licence holders, the wankers just assume you must have a telly, or because the shop that lies to you to get your details saying bullshit about warrantys etc, informs the licence people that you have a telly, they got onto me when i bought one 4 my daughter? the detector van was an ot frightener to scare you. unless you are running a few thousand watts i wouldnt worry about choppers spotting you. they like us to be scared, be scared because theres terrorists??????????? ooooo all of a sudden we have to be scared of terrorists, whatever happened to the IRA etc, the bader meinhoff, the red brigades, etta etc etc, why all of a sudden are we to be para about muslims, ffs?? that last few terrorist attacks in the uk have come from mad republicans and non-conformists in ireland fa to do with muslims, what you should worry about are things like cameras, using bank or credit cards to buy shit, allways use cash. never tell anyone anything and even if they suspect and question you still deny it, not even mates, no one, ime not even sure if posting this reply is a good idea; only joking, anyway dont worry, make a nice strong one and chill out.
also its a good idea to have your lights on during daylight hours, the chopper round here seems mainly to be out a night.

Y'all have to have a license to own a TV set?
Jeezuz H. Keerist im glad im an American.

420Gator

420Gator

So let me get this straight. As far as IR detection goes the amount of light being used isnt as important as the temp of the room/exhaust? For example: lets say im running 100 lights but theyre all air cooled and the grow room stays at 75 degrees with insulated walls. To my understanding this wouldnt look like much on the screen... assuming exhaust temp is reasonable

S

S. Plisskin

Funny how this has turned into a british thread. Glad I live in California.

Top Bottom