Help diagnose what’s wrong with my girl

• Thread starter Grassgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grassgrower

Grassgrower

Hey kids , heres a " is it me " comment again , sorry...

But is it me or does grassgrowers new avatar make your vision blurry and get you dizzy when you look at it and the pic simultaneousley ?

No disrespect to you grassgrower , might be my old eyes , i liked your other avitar better 😊

I didn’t know I had changed my avatar lol. There was one preset when I signed up but it wouldn’t let me do anything until I changed it so I just took a photo with the lens covered so it’s just plain black. I had to do that before I could post or access any forums so it should have been like that from the start.

Seraphine

Seraphine

That is lock out. In soil, pH is best 6.5-6.8. Who ever told you not to worry about pH is giving horrible advice. If pH were not important then blueberries would survive in any soil. But no, blueberries will die because they need a ridiculously low pH of 4.5 to allow for nutrient uptake. Cannabis is no different. pH your water properly for soil. Also, 18/6 or even 20/4 ligh is better than 24/0. Imagine if you were forced to eat for 24 hours a day, plants need a break too. So in addition to nutrient lock out, that is probably light burn too. Also, when your plants are constantly photosynthesizing, they need more nutrients. So if your roots are locked out and they are constantly photosynthesizing, you’re going to have issues.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I didn’t know I had changed my avatar lol. There was one preset when I signed up but it wouldn’t let me do anything until I changed it so I just took a photo with the lens covered so it’s just plain black. I had to do that before I could post or access any forums so it should have been like that from the start.
You know im just teasing you about the black one .... just never saw that before

dire wolf

dire wolf

For sure what seraphine said about the lights , 24 hours wont kill anything but it sure dosent hep , contrary to what many growing sites tell you .....

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That is lock out. In soil, pH is best 6.5-6.8. Who ever told you not to worry about pH is giving horrible advice. If pH were not important then blueberries would survive in any soil. But no, blueberries will die because they need a ridiculously low pH of 4.5 to allow for nutrient uptake. Cannabis is no different. pH your water properly for soil. Also, 18/6 or even 20/4 ligh is better than 24/0. Imagine if you were forced to eat for 24 hours a day, plants need a break too. So in addition to nutrient lock out, that is probably light burn too. Also, when your plants are constantly photosynthesizing, they need more nutrients. So if your roots are locked out and they are constantly photosynthesizing, you’re going to have issues.

Here is a university tested ph article on cannabis specifically.

Minitiger

Minitiger

I really hate to do this, but pH is absolutely irrelevant if you’re growing completely organically. I’ve never, not once, checked the pH of my water or soil or runoff or anything. Healthy soil regulates itself.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Right, but it still needs amended correctly with organic matter. Organic matter adjusts pH.

In potting soil lime or oyster shell is included to balance out the low ph of peat. It is set to a specific ph and tap water with reasonable ec will not affect it. Instead the water will instantly take on the ph of the medium.

But ph up and down over time will affect the buffer negatively.

I have not used ph down with my 8.0 ph well water since the breeder of the seeds i used told me not to because my plants were yellow and he knew right away i was using acid. Its .3 ec (150 ppm) perfect unadjusted.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Right, but it still needs amended correctly with organic matter. Organic matter adjusts pH.

No it doesnt. Well everything does but not all beneficial to balanced ph. The bacteria break down the nutrients regardless of ph. In hydro it is necessary to ph to keep nutrients soluble and uptakable by the plants.

Grassgrower

Grassgrower

Ok thanks for your help. So the important question is will the lockout be reversed if ph is adjusted to 6.5? Also the lights I knew wasn’t ideal but it was a case of 24/0 or having temps of 10-12 Celsius during dark period. I’ve sorted the temps now and they are on 20/4 and will be going to 18/6 in the next week.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Ok thanks for your help. So the important question is will the lockout be reversed if ph is adjusted to 6.5? Also the lights I knew wasn’t ideal but it was a case of 24/0 or having temps of 10-12 Celsius during dark period. I’ve sorted the temps now and they are on 20/4 and will be going to 18/6 in the next week.

Yes and no. Yes it will prevent further nutrient deficiencies due to nutrient unavailability because the pH is too high. No, it won't reverse the already damaged leaves.

You have two options:

1) least amount of stress on the plant but may not see results as soon. Keep your regular watering and feed schedule but pH your water and nutrient solution to 6.5.
2) most amount of stress but may see faster results. Flush the soil with a low (seedling strength) nutrient solution with 6.5 pH. Then immediately feed with a nutrient solution appropriate for your stage of growth with a 6.5 pH.

if you flush, your plants will droop for a day or two. Make sure you have proper drainage or increase your drainage before you flush and have a fan blowing across the top of the soil to help it dry out.

Always pH after you add nutrients.

Grassgrower

Grassgrower

Yes and no. Yes it will prevent further nutrient deficiencies due to nutrient unavailability because the pH is too high. No, it won't reverse the already damaged leaves.

You have two options:

1) least amount of stress on the plant but may not see results as soon. Keep your regular watering and feed schedule but pH your water and nutrient solution to 6.5.
2) most amount of stress but may see faster results. Flush the soil with a low (seedling strength) nutrient solution with 6.5 pH. Then immediately feed with a nutrient solution appropriate for your stage of growth with a 6.5 pH.

if you flush, your plants will droop for a day or two. Make sure you have proper drainage or increase your drainage before you flush and have a fan blowing across the top of the soil to help it dry out.

Always pH after you add nutrients.

Yeah that’s what I meant, obviously nothing can be done about the leaves current state but was just worried with the term lockout that nutrients would be permanently locked out therefore it would just get worse until eventually it dies. I will continue as I am then as with the bio grow I’m getting ph 6.5 anyway. For future reference, with a new grow obviously I’m not going to be putting nutes in from day one so will have the ph issue again. Is it ok to use ph down with soil grows or not? Also to avoid too much nutes due to not knowing what’s already in the soil would it be better to just always use something like biobizz light mix soil so I know they are only getting nutrients that I put in?Thanks for all your help!! Hopefully all goes well from now

mancorn

mancorn

Yeah that’s what I meant, obviously nothing can be done about the leaves current state but was just worried with the term lockout that nutrients would be permanently locked out therefore it would just get worse until eventually it dies. I will continue as I am then as with the bio grow I’m getting ph 6.5 anyway. For future reference, with a new grow obviously I’m not going to be putting nutes in from day one so will have the ph issue again. Is it ok to use ph down with soil grows or not? Also to avoid too much nutes due to not knowing what’s already in the soil would it be better to just always use something like biobizz light mix soil so I know they are only getting nutrients that I put in?Thanks for all your help!! Hopefully all goes well from now

Maybe I missed it, are you ph testing your runoff (or making a slurry to test) or just measuring what's going in?

Yes it's ok to use ph down with soil grows. I use the (organic version of the) Alaska Fish Fertilizer, and 1/8 tsp/gal will drop my ph down a full point.

Grassgrower

Grassgrower

Maybe I missed it, are you ph testing your runoff (or making a slurry to test) or just measuring what's going in?

Yes it's ok to use ph down with soil grows. I use the (organic version of the) Alaska Fish Fertilizer, and 1/8 tsp/gal will drop my ph down a full point.

Hi, haven’t been so far but I know I should do and I will from now on. Ok that’s good to know, it’s just so confusing because you have people saying no need to ph soil grows and ph down causes lockout in soil grows that’s why I was too worried to adjust it. Next time I’ll know to adjust ph from the start. Thanks

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hi, haven’t been so far but I know I should do and I will from now on. Ok that’s good to know, it’s just so confusing because you have people saying no need to ph soil grows and ph down causes lockout in soil grows that’s why I was too worried to adjust it. Next time I’ll know to adjust ph from the start. Thanks

24C66F82 0277 4301 8CAB 30F4E46A626A
BD16B618 1C48 421F ADCD 7791195A97DA
Top Bottom