Help please! Powdery Mildew!!

• Thread starter Trebla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trebla

ok i have a 1000w and a 600w hooked up to a 6inch vortex inline fan and am venting it 24 hours a day i got oscilating fans circulating the air and am bringing fresh air in from the attic the temps are usually 75 to 80 with the humidity at 20%? i am getting powdery mildew on some of my plants. I am 2 days into my 6th week flowering and the powder mildew is spreading!! please help me what am i doing wrong?:help:

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Introduction

There are numerous fungi that fall under the general description of a powdery mildew. They will be treated together here since most of these have similar habits and similar management practices. Houseplants that are commonly infected by powdery mildew include African violet and begonia. Outdoors there are numerous plants that may be infected in any year, but lilac, phlox, some rose varieties and fruit trees seem to be infected most frequently. The actual injury to the plant varies greatly with the species and even the variety attacked. For instance, lilacs are typically infected late in the growing season and this does not usually cause serious injury to the plants. Lilacs are able to survive year after year in spite of the disease. On the other hand, begonia may be seriously injured by even a mild infection. The tissue under the fungal growth dies soon after infection resulting in leaf drop and poor plant growth. Thorough management practices must be implemented in this case. Among roses there are varieties that are more seriously affected than others. If powdery mildew has been a problem in the past, choose a variety that has some resistance to the disease.

Symptoms

Powdery mildew appears as a dusty white to gray coating over leaf surfaces or other plant parts (Fig. 1). In most cases this fungal growth can be partially removed by rubbing the leaves. It might be identified incorrectly as dust that has accumulated on the leaves. Powdery mildew, however, will begin as discrete, usually circular, powdery white spots. As these spots expand they will coalesce, producing a continuous matt of mildew (similar to dirt or dust). A plant pathologist using a microscope can determine whether a fungus is present anytime the whitish patches are present.

Figure 1: Powdery Mildew on Rose. Note distortion of some leaflets.
Figure 2: Cleistothecia of the fungus on the underside of an infected leaf.

Symptoms usually appear late in the growing season on outdoor crops. The fungus is favored by periods of high relative humidity or site conditions that promote a more humid environment, such as close spacing of plants, densely growing plants, or shade. Indoors, symptoms may occur at any time of year, but the rate of spread and development will be affected by the relative humidity and temperature.

Injury due to powdery mildews includes stunting and distortion of leaves, buds, growing tips, and fruit. The fungus may cause death of invaded tissue (begonia, for example). Yellowing of leaves and death of tissue may result in premature leaf drop. Nutrients are removed from the plant by the fungus during infection and may result in a general decline in the growth and vigor of the plant. The seriousness of the disease will depend on the extent of the various types of injury.

Disease cycle

The fungi which cause powdery mildew are spread by spores produced in the white patches. These spores are blown in the wind to other parts of the plant or to other plants during the growing season. Generally each species of fungus will be limited in the number of plant species that can be attacked. For example the species of fungus infecting lilacs will not cause powdery mildew on apples.

During the winter the fungus survives on infected plant parts and in debris such as fallen leaves. It may produce resting structures known as cleistothecia, which resist harsh winter conditions. These will appear as small black dots within the white powdery patches (Fig. 2). The next spring, sexual spores (ascospores) are released from the cleistothecia, shot up into the air, and carried by air currents to leaves of plants where new infections will begin. During the growing season, the fungus produces asexual spores (conidia) that help the fungus to spread and infection to build. This is the general cycle for most powdery mildews of outdoor plants. With houseplants the overwintering stage is of little significance. Depending on the environmental conditions indoors, the fungus could continue to grow and spread during the entire year.

Management Strategies

There are several effective fungicides available for different sites and plants, but use on plants varies with each product, and not all fungicides registered for use to treat powdery mildew may be used on all plants. Be certain the product you purchase is labeled for the intended use(s), and follow directions on that label.

For indoor plants, disease management includes gathering up and destroying fallen leaves, reducing relative humidity around plants, and spraying with a fungicide. In New York State, some products that may be used to treat powdery mildew on indoor plants include: potassium bicarbonate (Greencure), Bacillus subtilis (Serenade Garden RTU* or Plant Guardian Biofungicide), and some products containing the active ingredient neem oil.

For outdoor ornamental plants, gather up fallen leaves in autumn and destroy them. Where powdery mildew is a problem, resistant varieties (if available) should be grown. If needed during the growing season, begin fungicide applications when the first white patches are noticed. Repeat as indicated on the product label during cool humid weather. Some products with a broad range of applications for outdoor ornamentals include products containing: Bacillus subtilis, neem oil, potassium bicarbonate, sulfur or lime sulfur. Some of these products may also be used to treat powdery mildew infections in the vegetable garden. Other products may also be available, so refer to the appropriate pest management guidelines or contact your local Cooperative Extension Office for more information.

Management of powdery mildew on fruit trees may be combined with the normal spray schedule and should begin at the green tip bud stage for apples. In New York State, some products that may be available for use include: Bonide Copper Spray/Dust, Elexa-4 (chitosan), various multi-purpose sprays, and some products containing the active ingredients: Bacillus subtilis, neem oil, or myclobutanil. Wettable sulfur is known to cause injury to some plants. Check labels for cautions about sensitive plants.

*RTU = Ready to Use, MPF = Multi-Purpose Fungicide

Seranade works good and so does Organicide in my experience....crowded plants and low circulation is usually the enemy..

Tex

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

Go buy a little bag of Piranha by advanced nutes and mix 2 grams per liter spray it on ur plants and it will eat all of the PM off and kill it, and best thang of all no pesticides.

R

Rolln J

great post on PM tex - stuff is resilient and not only survives winter, but will survive being composted!

UNITEDGROOVES

UNITEDGROOVES

Nice post TEX.. I had great results fighting PM using Dutch Master's zone (5ml) + penetrator (follow directions on bottle).. Just make sure you spray both sides of the leaves really well.

K

keyplay

I Feel your pain, brother. You are really too late in the game to alleviate your PM problem completely without screwing up your flowers. PM is systemic, so its in the plant. It might have been there before you flipped.

Banner Maxx is a excellent source for prevention and irradication:

Do a run off in your 2nd or 3rd week in flower using 1/2 tsp per gallon. This will kill the bad pathogens in your plant and you will not have any problems throughout the rest of your cycle. Use protective gear!.

Try Quantum Growth for excellent results:

I mix 15 ml of Quantum Growth with the Banner Maxx and a drop of dishwashing detergent. Killer results! Microorganisms to the rescue as a back up.

G

GroHi

I guess sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do...?

Be cautious w any of the systemic fungicides (anything borrowed from the comm ag business) as what they break down into is usually x5, x10, x20 more carcinogenic than the actual active ingredients.

Be safe!

R

Rolln J

in flower you can use Green Cure (potassium bicarbonate) safely and it knocks it back for 10-14 days...

worms way.com has it like 20 bux shipped

K

keyplay

I guess sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do...?

Be cautious w any of the systemic fungicides (anything borrowed from the comm ag business) as what they break down into is usually x5, x10, x20 more carcinogenic than the actual active ingredients.

Be safe!

I hear you on that , bro! Powdery Mildew is a poison that can make you real sick on contact when ingesting!
My goal is to break the mold down so it doesn't spread itself to cuttings and seeds. A "Con Ag" or "professional gardening" product will not do that by itself. Nor will any other product that still remains safe to your existing soil and plant microorganisms without destroying them. But teamed with the Quantum Growth , all harmful pathogens and molds are defeated
completely, and broken down and back into the food chain.
I am relying on the Quantum Growth to clean the foreign (fungicide) up for me which it will. Its a fascinating read and study on this. But the bottom line is, QG is realized by the few of us who are working with it as being a significant and important tool where ever and whenever its applied. The product is being used in chemical spills where the environment is at risk. Science Daily had an article where these purple photosynthetic microorganisms were being put in marine paint applications to protect from algae and such. I have not done a mechanical test on my finished
product which I vape and smoke consistently, but I can tell you the taste and effect are as pure and natural as you will ever experience. There are a few other "natural" items I use to protect against toxins, because you can imagine the shit I put in my lungs smoking in the 1970s. Because of my reckless living and penchant for any kind of pot, I've developed serious allergies through the years. If I ingest any product with powdery mildew, any mold, unflushed cure, and/or pesticides these allergies get set off and have me feeling like a have the flu.
You do what you have to do when an issue like PM raises its ugly head, but taking serious precautions with a potential healh hazard makes me rest at night if I caught it early in the game.

S

S4v

I Feel your pain, brother. You are really too late in the game to alleviate your PM problem completely without screwing up your flowers. PM is systemic, so its in the plant. It might have been there before you flipped.

Banner Maxx is a excellent source for prevention and irradication:

Do a run off in your 2nd or 3rd week in flower using 1/2 tsp per gallon. This will kill the bad pathogens in your plant and you will not have any problems throughout the rest of your cycle. Use protective gear!.

Try Quantum Growth for excellent results:

I mix 15 ml of Quantum Growth with the Banner Maxx and a drop of dishwashing detergent. Killer results! Microorganisms to the rescue as a back up.

Everybody should pay close attention to this post. This guy NEVER has pm in his grow rooms. No matter how many times i try to give it to him :D

V

vapedg13

Freakin herpes for weed Powdery Mildew (PM) is a systemic problem coming from within an infected plant. What you are seeing (the white powderey looking substance) on the leaves is the flowering body of the fungus- the hyphae live within the plant. By the time you can visually identify the problem it's already well established within the plant. No external treatment (like sulphur) can fix the problem.

Anything you use will only work for a short period 3-10 days...then retreatment is nessary

K

keyplay

Very funny! hahahahaha! You are a funny man! Happy Turkey Day, S4V and all good farmers out there!

T

Tanoakey

A sulfur burner works very well up to the third week of flowering. Yeah it stinks but it's nontoxic

G

GreenSociety

You could use skim milk and water. What my friend used that worked really well was the Ed Rosanthal Powdery mildew solution but be careful it can burn if you use to much and then put your plants underneath the light. Combat the mildew until its gone

subieslow

subieslow

I know you can use spray, having to respray a lot....but once flowering what can I do?

R

Rolln J

a product called "green cure" its potassium bicarbonate - its organic, safe and doesnt affect the taste of your buds, unlike sulfur late in flowering will...

you can get it at wormsway.com - about 20 bux with tax and shipping - its the ONLY thing I will spray on my plants during flower...

also added circulation - warming your room up a bit, trimming the undergrowth so you get better airflow and light to everything and keeping you humidity under 45% will all help control til you finish.

K

kushpheen

I have no problems using serenade just days before harvest. It has no detrimental effects to aroma or quality whatsoever. I would argue in fact that it helps in these categories. The only thing you need to watch out for is bud rot creeping in when your foliar feeding your plants this late in the cycle. I prefer to spray about an hour before the lights come on. This gives the plants time to dry off before the lights hit and potentially burn foliage. I avoid night spraying, I don't want moisture collecting for that long a period as temps decrease.

Q

quantumdist

Serenade and QG contain bacteria (bacillus subtillis) which are which can be used to battle pathogens such as PM. The bacteria in QG over-power the fungus and feed it to the plant. QG also has other beneficial bacteria that feed the plant and perform many other functions. Google "Quantum Growth Bacteria".

Top Bottom