Help. Spotting. 3-4 Weeks Flower

• Thread starter LostInTheTranslation
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LostInTheTranslation

@ComfortablyNumb @Moshmen last thing I looked at was my VPD. Room has stayed at 80F degrees and an RH of 38%, which is a VPD (kpa) of 1.97. Shouldn’t I be targeting at VPD of 1.05-1.20, which would mean I would need to lower the temp of the room (not possible ) or increase the humidity to around 50%-55% to be at an acceptable VPD range.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

@ComfortablyNumb @Moshmen @GNick55 after doing a ton of reading Ive come to the conclusion that my issues were driven by poor drainage, which lead to salt build up and low ph in the root zone. The leaf issues I’m seeing all started with the lower older leaves, which started as bronze spots that turned into brown spots along with some red/purple stems. This leads me to assume that low ph levels in the root zone caused by salt build up via poor drainage showed up initially in early flowering as a phosphorus deficiency and now some signs of mag deficiency. Will be checking the soil ph before watering today to determine if I still have a low ph after the last watering. Next time im going organic all the way lol. Cheers!
Good diagnosis. Now, how do you fix it?

L

LostInTheTranslation

Top dressed with dolomite lime. Flushed again today with 3 gallons water and had very acidic runoff until the last gallon, which is when I finally saw runoff cross the 6 ph threshold. First gallon had florakleen, 2 gallon straight water, and last gallon had small dose of fish sh!t. There is prob tons of nutrients left in the soil since this lockout has realistically been going on 2-3 weeks. Plan is to drop all nutes for 1-2 weeks and just water. Since I found out the soil was at 5.3-5.5 PH out of the bag along with the poor drainage I’m very skeptical that the soil will be able to buffer the tiger bloom or any synthetic bloom even if I water to 20%-30% runoff. Therefore I’m going to let this lady do her thing and ride it out and focus on keeping the environment dialed in. PS I don’t think I was technically “overwatering” and it was more related to not prepping the pot with extra drainage holes. This grow has taught me that I don’t like salt based fertilizer and all natural aka “organic” is more my style of growing or just go hydro haha. Only other option I would have is to roll the dice on a transplant with new soil, but would need to wash the roots of this super hot soil …..and I’m not willing to risk damaging the roots at this point. Rootz prob aren’t in the state of mind to endure a transplant at this point either.

Moshmen

Moshmen

@ComfortablyNumb @Moshmen last thing I looked at was my VPD. Room has stayed at 80F degrees and an RH of 38%, which is a VPD (kpa) of 1.97. Shouldn’t I be targeting at VPD of 1.05-1.20, which would mean I would need to lower the temp of the room (not possible ) or increase the humidity to around 50%-55% to be at an acceptable VPD range.
My tent runs about 82 and I shoot fir 50 Rh just what works for me

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Top dressed with dolomite lime. Flushed again today with 3 gallons water and had very acidic runoff until the last gallon, which is when I finally saw runoff cross the 6 ph threshold. First gallon had florakleen, 2 gallon straight water, and last gallon had small dose of fish sh!t. There is prob tons of nutrients left in the soil since this lockout has realistically been going on 2-3 weeks. Plan is to drop all nutes for 1-2 weeks and just water. Since I found out the soil was at 5.3-5.5 PH out of the bag along with the poor drainage I’m very skeptical that the soil will be able to buffer the tiger bloom or any synthetic bloom even if I water to 20%-30% runoff. Therefore I’m going to let this lady do her thing and ride it out and focus on keeping the environment dialed in. PS I don’t think I was technically “overwatering” and it was more related to not prepping the pot with extra drainage holes. This grow has taught me that I don’t like salt based fertilizer and all natural aka “organic” is more my style of growing or just go hydro haha. Only other option I would have is to roll the dice on a transplant with new soil, but would need to wash the roots of this super hot soil …..and I’m not willing to risk damaging the roots at this point. Rootz prob aren’t in the state of mind to endure a transplant at this point either.
Sounds like you've got it. Since you flushed to a higher pH reading, you can feed again but very small amounts, just to make sure nothing is missing for the rest of this grow.
Make sure you water correctly.

Treecutter

Treecutter

I agree with comfortablynumbs earlier post of flushing and starting over. Dark and rust spots and chlorophyll bleeding in the leaves is signs of phosphorus, potassium possibly cal,mag deficiency which is commonly seen in flower.

Thats not to say it isn't there in the soil. You could have lockout from all the things these guys listed causing the deficiency signs.

Couple things I know about FF products, their consistency in quality control is lacking. Happy Frog already has almost nothing in it and I've seen ocean forest be depleted in 30 days. The only thing I use any of them for is seedlings or compost fill if the price is right.

Tiger bloom is a touchy one. In my opinion its way hotter than they advertise. I only use it 1 time 2 weeks before flower to give them a little bump before my 2,8,4 top dress kicks in. I only use 1/4 dose and you can still see sativa leaning strains don't like it.

You said your tap is 50ppm. That makes me wonder if you have some sort of water filtration on your house with a water softener. That will cause salt build up quickly.

Your at week 2 of the stretch, after 2 more weeks its realy not going to matter what you fan leaves are doing but you want to make sure you soil is balanced for your flower growth.

So if it was me I would flush it. Start back out with the cal mag or dolomite and compost tea of worm castings, kelp meal, down to earth 4-8-4 or gia 2-8-4 with black strap molasses and call it good.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Kody at nukeheads has a pretty reliable soil ph tester for a descent price. Even though I grow mostly organic, I monitor the soil ph because I rarely flush. Bottle fed babies require more attention and I don't have the time to monitor the plants every day.

A good soil ph tester will keep you on better tracks so you can adjust accordingly with every feed. A good ecm meter helps too. And its better off spending the money for one that has replacement heads and of higher quality.

Can't tell you how many grows I screwed up from going on the cheap side.

L

LostInTheTranslation

I agree with comfortablynumbs earlier post of flushing and starting over. Dark and rust spots and chlorophyll bleeding in the leaves is signs of phosphorus, potassium possibly cal,mag deficiency which is commonly seen in flower.

Thats not to say it isn't there in the soil. You could have lockout from all the things these guys listed causing the deficiency signs.

Couple things I know about FF products, their consistency in quality control is lacking. Happy Frog already has almost nothing in it and I've seen ocean forest be depleted in 30 days. The only thing I use any of them for is seedlings or compost fill if the price is right.

Tiger bloom is a touchy one. In my opinion its way hotter than they advertise. I only use it 1 time 2 weeks before flower to give them a little bump before my 2,8,4 top dress kicks in. I only use 1/4 dose and you can still see sativa leaning strains don't like it.

You said your tap is 50ppm. That makes me wonder if you have some sort of water filtration on your house with a water softener. That will cause salt build up quickly.

Your at week 2 of the stretch, after 2 more weeks its realy not going to matter what you fan leaves are doing but you want to make sure you soil is balanced for your flower growth.

So if it was me I would flush it. Start back out with the cal mag or dolomite and compost tea of worm castings, kelp meal, down to earth 4-8-4 or gia 2-8-4 with black strap molasses and call it good.
Agree, on all. Top dressed with dolomite lime then I flushed yesterday and took 3 gallons to get ph at an acceptable level. Picked up some Recharge and Roots Organic HPK (0-4-3) and will be using them on the next feeding. Prob going to layoff the tiger bloom and cal mag+ since the dolomite lime and HPK should provide plenty of calcium and magnesium. Plus the HPK has plenty of P&K. Recharge should help with my soil since it has kelp, molasses, humic/fulvic/amino acids. Only thing I’m missing nitrogen and some secondary nutrients which the soil should still have enough to get me thru 2 weeks since I’ve been locked out since I transplanted into the 2gallon which was around New Years. Lastly the local water is very good and isn’t hard water nor does it need softeners.

Treecutter

Treecutter

You got it. Good thing you spotted it right away and you got good info. I'm only home for a day and a half then gone 3 days with my job.

Even with all the sensors equipment etc I miss things or screw up and it becomes a recovery instead of a grow. It sucks when you have problems in flower and you stunt your bud yield.

Just keep researching, and learning. Some of these guys that helped you out have hundreds of post helping with other grows that are worth reading.
Hpk and the recharge will kick in and your plants will look great in a week or two.

L

LostInTheTranslation

Kody at nukeheads has a pretty reliable soil ph tester for a descent price. Even though I grow mostly organic, I monitor the soil ph because I rarely flush. Bottle fed babies require more attention and I don't have the time to monitor the plants every day.

A good soil ph tester will keep you on better tracks so you can adjust accordingly with every feed. A good ecm meter helps too. And its better off spending the money for one that has replacement heads and of higher quality.

Can't tell you how many grows I screwed up from going on the cheap side.
little expensive for my taste
You got it. Good thing you spotted it right away and you got good info. I'm only home for a day and a half then gone 3 days with my job.

Even with all the sensors equipment etc I miss things or screw up and it becomes a recovery instead of a grow. It sucks when you have problems in flower and you stunt your bud yield.

Just keep researching, and learning. Some of these guys that helped you out have hundreds of post helping with other grows that are worth reading.
Hpk and the recharge will kick in and your plants will look great in a week or two.
@ComfortablyNumb @Treecutter @GNick55 Can I mix HPK and recharge together? Need to water later today and know the lady needs both recharge and HPK (0-5-4).

L

LostInTheTranslation

i feel no but i’m unsure so wait for the other guys to reply too..
Thanks. Went to check on her today and was hit in the face with some funky skunky! Fan leafs still showing phosphorus deficiency so thats why I’m trying to determine if I just use recharge this watering then the Roots organic HPK the next watering.

L

LostInTheTranslation

Once the recharge takes hold, you stop feeding it because the recharge makes the soil feed the plant.
Hmm. That’s makes this a tough decision since it needs to eat. Def think it needs the roots organic HPK (0-4-3) since I just flushed 3 days ago but also know the soil needs the recharge. Guess soil health is more important at this time but don’t want the phosphorous deficiency to kill me in the next couple weeks.

DA1A865E 5F16 44DA 9E84 7C5D0AA59239
A806B2BF 9A80 46CF 96F2 2437C7A13A69
4F88C771 4BED 43B5 8644 437DDCC74427
26209253 706F 4D16 A2C6 65E9478FBC2A
2A4C8ED6 FEE8 438B A9F4 3844A4120D73
377776D9 7C11 48D1 B77F 8681C93E08EE
415C9211 08FC 4D65 A9AF 98F3A7B28B85
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i didnt read the thread, but i did see that you have leaf septoria. you should work on watering habits. water to runoff, then wait till the pot is as light as sawdust and do it again.

i love the big fan leaves, i pluck them and dry them in a book and dip them in wax and make pot art (a play on words, pop art, pot art...)

L

LostInTheTranslation

i didnt read the thread, but i did see that you have leaf septoria. you should work on watering habits. water to runoff, then wait till the pot is as light as sawdust and do it again.

i love the big fan leaves, i pluck them and dry them in a book and dip them in wax and make pot art (a play on words, pop art, pot art...)
Exactly how I’ve been watering but didn’t have enough drainage holes in the pot. Few very helpful folks pointed this out. Honestly don’t think it’s septoria since I’ve been locked out for almost 3 weeks now. First grow and wish I knew what I know now lol. The network of folks on this website are some of the most amazing people willing to spare time to help a stranger. If else fails the cannabis community is the most positive experience I’ve had in a very long time. As always thanks for the advice! Cheers

Top Bottom