Help when drying stuff smells like hay

• Thread starter B0ssD0ss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Hay smell usually from packaging/sealing your stuff to early, or not burping your containers

30roll

30roll

So what humidity level in the dry space does everybody agree on?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
So what humidity level in the dry space does everybody agree on?
The rule of thumb is 60F/60% RH. Obviously those numbers are on a linked curve, so lower temps = lower RH. higher temps = higher RH. Regardless anywhere from 50F - 75F is acceptable with RH set accordingly, and adequate air movement. Air has to be moving.

30roll

30roll

I'll be there on a few weeks.. I think I could maintain like 65-72 between day and night. I'd do it in the tent.
I have 4 fans in there right now but I assume I would need just gentle air movement?? I could point 2 strait upwards so the air pattern would mushroom off the ceiling of the tent..

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I think we're leaning towards cork sniffing LOL.
A lot of the weed back in the day was probably Mexican brick weed and it was good enough..
haha that shit wasn't even dried half the time. Breaking up a qp and find a nice pocket of bacterial juice and mold 🤣 damn... the treasures that were in those bricks.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Fishing weights
Razor blades, glass, lady bugs, deciduous tree leafs, plastic, rubber... I wonder if brick weed is even still around? I'd buy a kilo just to keep as an antique gift to my family lol

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Razor blades, glass, lady bugs, deciduous tree leafs, plastic, rubber... I wonder if brick weed is even still around? I'd buy a kilo just to keep as an antique gift to my family lol
yes i had some a few months ago..

Bass.man

Bass.man

I have a extra 3x3 tent for drying, I hang the whole plant in a cool garage 50 degrees 55% humidity for up to 3 weeks. I have a fan that circulates the air but doesn't blow on the plants. When stems almost snap I cut the branches off and put in a plastic tote,this is the sweating phase. I turn the whole contents once a day for a couple days then trim and jar. The jars are burped for at least 30 to 45 days.
I think your cardboard box or bag is pulling moisture out to quickly,thus the hay smell.
Good luck!

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I have a extra 3x3 tent for drying, I hang the whole plant in a cool garage 50 degrees 55% humidity for up to 3 weeks. I have a fan that circulates the air but doesn't blow on the plants. When stems almost snap I cut the branches off and put in a plastic tote,this is the sweating phase. I turn the whole contents once a day for a couple days then trim and jar. The jars are burped for at least 30 to 45 days.
I think your cardboard box or bag is pulling moisture out to quickly,thus the hay smell.
Good luck!
I wonder if a big plastic tote would slow things down.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Yes it would,the tote helps spread the moisture from the larger stems into the smaller branches. It is called "sweating".
I'm looking at mesh drying racks or possibly taking a large plastic tote and make a dry box out of it. The hanging multi layer mesh rack seems easy enough but obviously not enough room for a whole plant to be in. More room for basically trimming off plant and drying the buds, so total manicure at chopping down.

Bass.man

Bass.man

I'm looking at mesh drying racks or possibly taking a large plastic tote and make a dry box out of it. The hanging multi layer mesh rack seems easy enough but obviously not enough room for a whole plant to be in. More room for basically trimming off plant and drying the buds, so total manicure at chopping down.
I would try to put the whole plant in the tote,just stack the branches. It will help slow down the dying process. The slower the dry the better the taste and smell.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I would try to put the whole plant in the tote,just stack the branches. It will help slow down the dying process. The slower the dry the better the taste and smell.
What about air circulation in the tote? Cut or drill holes? Little fan?

Bass.man

Bass.man

What about air circulation in the tote? Cut or drill holes? Little fan?
Nope don't cut holes or use fan, just make sure to open up the tote and turn the branches at least once a day. I put a small humidity gauge inside my tote to monitor humidity. If they feel to wet leave the top off the tote for an hour or so.
The trick is to keep the humidity high enough so the plant has moisture to break down the chlorophyll. If dried to quickly the process cannot happen,locking in the green or hay smell/taste.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Well I'm trying to go for 10-14 days but it's at 3 now and it's super dry. But this plant was critical strain and was very larfy it never really got any dense flowers. I think I just grew a seed that had a bad genetic code. So because it wasn't the greatest plant and I needed to make room in my tent I pulled it. So not only was it pulled early it also didn't really have any dense flower to slow the drying process out.

So between what everyone is saying I believe those 2 factors are why it's dried out already even in the 68-72° temps and the 50-55 rh.

I just have some nice flowers that will be ready in 3-5 weeks and don't want what's coming down next to smell like this.
I’m gonna add my two cent, the pics I attached is Critical so if you don’t hVe the sweet candy shop smell with a dead skunk in it lol you might have cut way too early. Critical does produce some decent size buds

CA11DCBB 3A33 46BD B1F0 E1066C1328CD
D4665B65 E36C 4A44 B6E2 EF315122A38C
Bass.man

Bass.man

My mentor advised me to never use bags or paper boxes,they soak up the moisture to quickly. Stopping the curing process.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I’m gonna add my two cent, the pics I attached is Critical so if you don’t hVe the sweet candy shop smell with a dead skunk in it lol you might have cut way too early. Critical does produce some decent size buds
Well I already knew it was early. Like I said it had bad genetics. I will see if I can find a picture to show it. I needed room to move stuff around for new seedlings. But I'm also using this thread to gather info for my next harvest which will be in a few weeks.

Top Bottom