Help when drying stuff smells like hay

• Thread starter B0ssD0ss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snowqueen

Snowqueen

Hey guys I need help. I'm on my 4th grow and have issues with drying my medicine and it smelling like hay. My medicine smells amazing before I cut to dry but once it starts drying it smells like hay.

I put it in large cardboard boxes because I have to turn over my tents for the next batch.

I know the slower the better and need to be around 60° and 50-55 rh. Hard to say exactly where my temp and rh is at but I keep it relatively cool in my home around 68° and my rh in my home is around 50-55. My wife grows carnivorous plants and the multiple hygrometers around the home keep those numbers pretty constant.

Any info will be much appreciated. I have a good crop that will be coming down in a few more weeks and want to avoid this hay smell and keep the fragrance of my medicine as it is while it's still alive.
Do you cure your flower in glass jars and burp periodically

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

After i hang my flower and cut it off stems i put in cool whip containers, open and shake a few times a day till the clorafill has dissipated this is why your weed smells like hay, after the clorafill is gone and the weed smells like weed i put in mason jar with humidity chip, other people cure in different ways but no one ever complained about the way my weed tastes.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

After i hang my flower and cut it off stems i put in cool whip containers, open and shake a few times a day till the clorafill has dissipated this is why your weed smells like hay, after the clorafill is gone and the weed smells like weed i put in mason jar with humidity chip, other people cure in different ways but no one ever complained about the way my weed tastes.
Cool whip containers? I assume you are trimming and basically putting in plastic containers and burping before going into jars for final cure. Am I following you with this assumption?

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Fresh grass cutting/hay smell is common (and normal) right after harvest. It'll persist until a week or two into cure, and full terpene profiles won't return for at least a month.

Nonsense..

till the clorafill has dissipated this is why your weed smells like hay,

NONSENSE.

Hay smell comes from moldy ass weed that's been injured while carrying out photosynthesis. (Grass is the same thing minus the mold.)

It's not chlorophyll, it's aldehydes and alcohols (I have a comprehensive list, this isn't imaginary internet bro bullshit) that attract predators because the plant thinks it's being attacked by pests.

Hay smell is NOT normal. And it's NOT Chlorophyll. Chlorophyll (minty, below human olfactory detection threshold in plant tissue concentrations) isn't masking "terpenes".

Terpenes in quotes cuz I roll my eyes every time someone uses that word in reference to weed. Anything that comes back after you turned your weed into hay and cut its potential by 70% isn't produced by terpene synthesis pathways, nothing desirable in Cannabis is. Terpene is a stupid fucking blanket term inflicted on the lame ass internet grow scene by vape pen clowns and distillate fags. Steroids are terpenes. Vitamin A is a terpene for fucks sake. It's retarded to use the word for weed smells. No desirable or prominent weed smells are terpenes!

Show this plant some fucking respect people. Stop all the forum bullshit. Grab a bottle of chlorophyll and tell me that shit smells like hay. And if you ever think you've smelled chlorophyll in weed, you're smelling Botanicare and essential oils you probably soaked your plant in.

30roll

30roll

I cut plants 2 weeks apart. The first 3 I dried to a crisp. Rehydrated them into jars and they smelled like grass in like a day or 2.
2 weeks latter I cut the rest of the plants. 'Really paid attention to them as they dried. Got them in jars right at 65% with some spiking to 70.. After a few days they smelled like grass.. LOL Must be normal.

Now into the 4th week of cure on the 1st set and the smell is really coming around and the color of the Budz has turned from Forest to OD Green.. So just hang in there, they will be fine..
If they are to dry, try using a whole Orange Peel for and hour or so and see how they hold up. They work amazing..

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I cut plants 2 weeks apart. The first 3 I dried to a crisp. Rehydrated them into jars and they smelled like grass in like a day or 2.
2 weeks latter I cut the rest of the plants. 'Really paid attention to them as they dried. Got them in jars right at 65% with some spiking to 70.. After a few days they smelled like grass.. LOL Must be normal.

Now into the 4th week of cure on the 1st set and the smell is really coming around and the color of the Budz has turned from Forest to OD Green.. So just hang in there, they will be fine..
If they are to dry, try using a whole Orange Peel for and hour or so and see how they hold up. They work amazing..
It's all a learning experience. I'm onto another crop and every one I learn a little more then the last. But I habe never used orange peels because I thought it may give an artificial scent or taste to what I habe grown.

30roll

30roll

I smell those jars now and don't really get orange when I smell them. I just like that they ate that moisture up so quick which really cut down the babysit time on the Jars!

30roll

30roll

I have a bunch of the Integra Boost in 62 in most of the Jars, but they didn't seem to bring up the moisture, but they really seem to maintain what's there.. Maybe it's because they were so dry to begin with.. There's no info on their page that says how much they will add vs how dry your stuff is that I found.
But I went with Integra because the Interwebs say they don't rob the smells..

Last edited:
TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

I have a bunch of the Boveda Boost in 62 in most of the Jars, but they didn't seem to bring up the moisture, but they really seem to maintain what's there.. Maybe it's because they were so dry to begin with.. There's no info on their page that says how much they will add vs how dry your stuff is that I found.
But I went with Boveda because the Interwebs say they don't rob the smells..
Tell y’all do it like me the easy ghetto way works great, 3 gallon gamma seal buckets and 62% RO packet, after a nice dry I clip them right into the bucket and forget about them. No burping or anything and I have never had mold or other issues and they cure just fine.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Given that, with your temps, I'd say bump the humidity up if you can so long you can provide adequate air flow. 70F @ 65% RH should get your dry time ~10 days. You'll still lose some terpenes, but it won't be as bad, and you might want to evaluate your cure process. Here's what I've found makes for reliable results (I spent the first 10 years of growing in the desert, I get it):

• Hang dry till the stems crack but don't break. 5-7 days.
  • Chuck buds off the stems, into paper bags. Burp the bags daily based on feel. If the buds feel wet, twice a day. Continue till they're crispy outside, but spongey feeling. Average 5-7 days.
  • Into jars. Burp daily for five minutes. Kick the buds around a bit. Terpenes should start expressing themselves after a week or so. At this point they're ready for use.

Where I was, average day temps were 100F+, RH averaged 30% year round. Using a paper bag while the buds were still relatively wet in the middle was absolutely vital for a good, usable product within a month's timeline.
I’ve gone into paper bag even earlier with quick cures but this is the way to do it.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Iinteresting
Tell y’all do it like me the easy ghetto way works great, 3 gallon gamma seal buckets and 62% RO packet, after a nice dry I clip them right into the bucket and forget about them. No burping or anything and I have never had mold or other issues and they cure just fine.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I have a bunch of the Integra Boost in 62 in most of the Jars, but they didn't seem to bring up the moisture, but they really seem to maintain what's there.. Maybe it's because they were so dry to begin with.. There's no info on their page that says how much they will add vs how dry your stuff is that I found.
But I went with Integra because the Interwebs say they don't rob the smells..
If you're storage containers are sealed good and you've got it sitting at 62% there is no need for the boveda packs.

I've got flower that's been stored in vaults for 6 months and it's still sitting around 62%.

30roll

30roll

I have been cracking the Jars and holding them in front of my little Honeywell Turbo Fan as I rotate them to switch out the air inside..
Just playin' it safe.. Don't wanna fuck it up..
I have detected a faint wif of stale litter box on some of them. Not ammonia outright, but something that reminds me of litter box..

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I know if I let the buds dry as long as everyone else says to I always get hay smell. So I let dry till the out side of the bud is crispy and the middle is almost dry. The branches still bend. Then I trim them really well then the buds get loosely put into a humidor. Or cardboard box uncovered for another day then jar for cure.

As mentioned they always smell like hay at the jarring stage but the dank smell comes back I find after a couple weeks curing.

All this takes about 7 days but I also don't hang the whole plant I hang individual branches and I trim the bulk of the leafs before I hang.

Perfect cure every time for me

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

No one can say exactly how long it’s gonna take to dry. Too many variables from the temp and rh to the stem size. You must check every day multiple times a day if it’s getting close to dry. That’s why I use the paper bag method one it’s hung for a few days because it slows the process.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

No one can say exactly how long it’s gonna take to dry. Too many variables from the temp and rh to the stem size. You must check every day multiple times a day if it’s getting close to dry. That’s why I use the paper bag method one it’s hung for a few days because it slows the process.
Explain the paper bag method to me please.

Top Bottom