Help when drying stuff smells like hay

• Thread starter B0ssD0ss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

This happens in the dry times of year. Fear not, when you put them into mason jars, put in a Boveda bag. It will bring them back to their glory and you'll have no problems at all.
I use those religiously for all my cures. I still think it was a combo of early chopping and not the most idea genetics.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Nah, I get that. Space is a premium, especially when trying to run perpetually. The idea of cardboard + wet flowers just begs mold issues to me. Hell, even drying in a bathroom would be better, a bit of a bitch having to move plants around every time you need to bathe, but at least it's not a stagnant air box. Given I don't know anything more about your living situation, my best advice is consider any other options you have. Personally, I don't dry in my tent either. I dry in my garage. Also not ideal temps, and not perfectly dark, but the bud turns out just fine regardless.
A Uhaul wardrobe box works amazingly well for drying!! I open the bottom up, keep the top open. I put a small circular fan at the bottom blowing in and the air circulates up through the box and out the top. Never had a mold issue ever.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

This happens in the dry times of year. Fear not, when you put them into mason jars, put in a Boveda bag. It will bring them back to their glory and you'll have no problems at all.
I use those religiously for all my cures. I still think it was a combo of early chopping and not the most idea genetics.
A Uhaul wardrobe box works amazingly well for drying!! I open the bottom up, keep the top open. I put a small circular fan at the bottom blowing in and the air circulates up through the box and out the top. Never had a mold issue ever.
see people are saying stay away from cardboard. Now you say you use cardboard with not having an issue.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

see people are saying stay away from cardboard. Now you say you use cardboard with not having an issue.
I think if you close the box up completely, yes you could run into issues. But that would go along with any room or compartment really. Cardboard absorbs moisture. The key is to keep the air flowing so the absorbed moisture has nowhere to sit and create mold. That little fan flowing up works amazing. I put 2 or 3 bamboo sticks horizontally through the sides of the cardboard and have coat hangers holding all of the buds. Air flows all day/night with the fan on 24hrs. They're dried in 4-7 days and it's on to the jar curing (don't forget the Boveda bag!!)

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I think if you close the box up completely, yes you could run into issues. But that would go along with any room or compartment really. Cardboard absorbs moisture. The key is to keep the air flowing so the absorbed moisture has nowhere to sit and create mold. That little fan flowing up works amazing. I put 2 or 3 bamboo sticks horizontally through the sides of the cardboard and have coat hangers holding all of the buds. Air flows all day/night with the fan on 24hrs. They're dried in 4-7 days and it's on to the jar curing (don't forget the Boveda bag!!)
So you have airflow over your plants as they dry as well?

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

You just want a small breeze to keep air flow but not directly on buds, like I used my closest and pointed the fan at the wall so it would bounce around air flow at a low setting for 5 days

the rrock

the rrock

maybe your overthinking this or its just crappy genetics,I trim fan leaves wet,hang in room until dry(sometimes with a fan,sometimes not) finish trimming dry,then put in jars and cure.Ive never "burped" a plant in over 40 years.If they seem to dry put in boveda or a reasonable facsimile. Back in the 70s alot of homegrown smelled like hay because people smoked the leaves if the brick weed(panama red,lumbo gold,oxacan brown) wasnt available

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

maybe your overthinking this or its just crappy genetics,I trim fan leaves wet,hang in room until dry(sometimes with a fan,sometimes not) finish trimming dry,then put in jars and cure.Ive never "burped" a plant in over 40 years.If they seem to dry put in boveda or a reasonable facsimile. Back in the 70s alot of homegrown smelled like hay because people smoked the leaves if the brick weed(panama red,lumbo gold,oxacan brown) wasnt available
Good to know

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

I would say it's the plant, not you. I don't know what's wrong with the plant you posted that picture of but I've never seen a weed plant that looked quite like that and I've seen a lot. Something tells me you maybe got the short straw.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I would say it's the plant, not you. I don't know what's wrong with the plant you posted that picture of but I've never seen a weed plant that looked quite like that and I've seen a lot. Something tells me you maybe got the short straw.
I actually trimmed it off the stems yesterday. It smells more like what we are all use to then straw today. It's very loose bud structure makes for more like joint rolling or small bong or bowls but it filled up a 32oz mason jar. Guess we will see what happens from here.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

"very loose bud structure"

You can say that again! I looked through your profile you can obviously grow better weed than that, I don't know what's up with that plant but I would ditch it and get something better that plant looks awful to be honest.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

"very loose bud structure"

You can say that again! I looked through your profile you can obviously grow better weed than that, I don't know what's up with that plant but I would ditch it and get something better that plant looks awful to be honest.
Lol yeah I just chalk it up to bad genetics. It was super frosty and sticky though. Will cure it and see what comes of it while I wait on the other ladies to be done.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Lol yeah I just chalk it up to bad genetics. It was super frosty and sticky though. Will cure it and see what comes of it while I wait on the other ladies to be done.
Is that some of what I sent ya? I haven’t seen anything like that yet ?
You will get the dryin thing - it’seasy to over think it I dry under my bed ! Lol

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Is that some of what I sent ya? I haven’t seen anything like that yet ?
You will get the dryin thing - it’seasy to over think it I dry under my bed ! Lol
No I never could get anything aside from that 1 zkittles to germinate. This was a critical I got from over seas.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

yeah.... i dont think that's a thing up here, in Canada. lol
dont freeze your cured weed.
the room i dry in is 62 degrees and 60% rh
Well down here where temps hit over 100° on the regular that's a little harder temp to hit.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

So what humidity level in the dry space does everybody agree on?
60/60, 61/61, 62/62, 63/63, 64/64, 65/65, 66/66,,,,,,,,, 70/70 cooler is better imo.

Harvest date October 12 at 8 am dryer Montana climate.
I wet trim using a trim bowl and hanging nets. First picture is the 3rd day on nets I'll grab a handfull and put them in a vault for a couple hours.
Screenshot 20210309 084847 Gallery

Depending on temps and humidity I'll guess the next test. 24 hours later it lost approximately another 10%
Screenshot 20210309 084800 Gallery

2 days later they check at 68 and almost there.
Screenshot 20210309 084809 Gallery

Now I'll put it all together in plastic totes depending on humidity. That Ii think sat for another day in the totes without the lids on before putting it in the vaults.

Latest posts

Top Bottom