Help With Nutrients And Hardening Off

• Thread starter KaylasKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Irish063

Irish063

Hi!

Thank you :) I'm going to put the light much closer tomorrow, especially if my LED in specific isn't strong enough to burn it.
Okay. But I won't be transplanting for a while, is this okay? They're now 4 weeks old. I think I'm going to give them nutrients in about 2-3 weeks.

As for them going outside, they'll be in a small green house to protect them from wind so no worries there. Trust me, I've come planned with the English weather, haha. But during the sunny days I will take them outside the greenhouse in order to soak up as much sun as possible. Can't guarantee England will even have enough.
Be careful with taking them back and forth out of the sun. It can stunt their growth as well. If you do maybe think about using a shade cloth, like a 40%. The sun is going to be much more intense than your LED. You could also use the shade cloth to help harden them off. However you may not need to depending on what type of top your greenhouse has. Mine is plastic sheets and filters quite a bit of sun. I didn't have much of a problem switching from inside to the greenhouse
Just my 2 cents

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Lol I'm not buying 5 LED's. That's also not what I've been told by other people.
My only option is to put them out then. September is still fine, October is cooler.
5 of them MIGHT get you somewhere is a statement meant for you to realize that 20 watts is about what you would clone under... 5 of them might grow you a nice plant if you mainlined it, and ran a 2x2 scrog..
He is very intelligent and has far greater knowledge than most of the commenters, me prob included.
Just thought I would let you know that..
Sometimes its very hard to figure out who to listen to on here...

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Definetly move that light as close as possible. And add a small oscillating fan if you haven't already, that too will help strengthen the plants and provide fresh CO2 for them to grow.
As far as transplanting I would say your good for another few weeks at that rate. It does not appear to be root bound, just stretching for more lumens.
I live in California, so I'm not at all familiar with your weather or seasons out there in England. So yeah, keep them warm in the green house, and bring them out when the conditions are best.
Edit: also if your going to feed them, go light at first and gradually add more as you see there are no problems. I would suggest you get a PH and PPM/EC meter before administering any nutrients. That way you know what your giving your plants precisely.

Thank you.
I will do tomorrow, I think they'll be much happier with a closer light. And yes I have a fan blowing on them, it's the thing that saved and strengthened my stems.
Perfect, I need a few weeks in order to toughen up my plants inside a bit and buy a small greenhouse.
Durban Poison is ready to be harvested after like 8-9 weeks apparently. Mine I feel will go slower but summer here stops around October so I should be fine. If I had Californian weather it'd be so much more simple, ahah.
Thank you :) I'll be very careful with nutrients and will definitely be light in the beginning, I've heard the disaster stories.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

5 of them MIGHT get you somewhere is a statement meant for you to realize that 20 watts is about what you would clone under... 5 of them might grow you a nice plant if you mainlined it, and ran a 2x2 scrog..
He is very intelligent and has far greater knowledge than most of the commenters, me prob included.
Just thought I would let you know that..
Sometimes its very hard to figure out who to listen to on here...

Your point is appreciated. But this is going to be an outdoor grow and I'm not willing to pay for another 5 strong LED's to only use for a few more weeks. I know my plants need more light and if I have to buy another one or two just to keep them going a bit longer I will. I've seen someone on here post pictures with their single LED grown plants before placing their grow outside, and they looked great.
Of course everyone's opinion and experience is different though, and I'm grateful to be getting any sort of help.
The only way to learn is to try and go with your gut at the end of the day anyway.
If I see they're still still struggling to grow under too little light I'll put them outside sooner and have a greenhouse protecting them.

Have a rad day~

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Be careful with taking them back and forth out of the sun. It can stunt their growth as well. If you do maybe think about using a shade cloth, like a 40%. The sun is going to be much more intense than your LED. You could also use the shade cloth to help harden them off. However you may not need to depending on what type of top your greenhouse has. Mine is plastic sheets and filters quite a bit of sun. I didn't have much of a problem switching from inside to the greenhouse
Just my 2 cents

Ah good point. I didn't think about that. So you wouldn't suggest moving them to the sunniest spot during the day and then back into the greenhouse at night? I only intended to do that because if it rains at night I want the greenhouse protecting it. The weather here is unpredictable.
Thanks a bunch, I'll try to use a cloth instead so that it gets more sun, because England doesn't often have very hot days even in summer.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ah good point. I didn't think about that. So you wouldn't suggest moving them to the sunniest spot during the day and then back into the greenhouse at night? I only intended to do that because if it rains at night I want the greenhouse protecting it. The weather here is unpredictable.
Thanks a bunch, I'll try to use a cloth instead so that it gets more sun, because England doesn't often have very hot days even in summer.
Your point is appreciated. But this is going to be an outdoor grow and I'm not willing to pay for another 5 strong LED's to only use for a few more weeks. I know my plants need more light and if I have to buy another one or two just to keep them going a bit longer I will. I've seen someone on here post pictures with their single LED grown plants before placing their grow outside, and they looked great.
Of course everyone's opinion and experience is different though, and I'm grateful to be getting any sort of help.
The only way to learn is to try and go with your gut at the end of the day anyway.
If I see they're still still struggling to grow under too little light I'll put them outside sooner and have a greenhouse protecting them.

Have a rad day~
I in no way mean any disrespect. Hope you didnt take it that way...
What do you have your light set too? 24/0, 18/6, or 14/4/2/4?

Irish063

Irish063

Yeah I wouldn't during the sunniest part of the day. Maybe early or late morning. I'm not the most knowledgeable about this, but even though you are a higher latitude than here in Colorado the sun will be still be intense to them.
We also just finished the last of our freezes, most likely, so it was some crazy weather for late spring.

Do you already have your geeenhouse? If so I'd leave them in there. You could probably set the shade cloth up in the middle of the day and put them under that. I'd let some others chime in on that thought as well.

You can get a shade cloth of Amazon for like $15-20 USD. Idk what that would be in pounds.

Just a heads up in case you don't know my friend has grown Durban Poison a couple times before and told me spider mites love it. I don't mean to add any stress to your situation just something to keep an eye out for later. I thought about growing it this year but went with a couple others.

Good luck. I had some trouble starting this year but they have turned out well so far.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

I in no way mean any disrespect. Hope you didnt take it that way...
What do you have your light set too? 24/0, 18/6, or 14/4/2/4?

I did not.
My light can't be set to anything specific so I tend to put it on at about 9-10am and then put it off around 11pm or midnight. So they get around 13 hours of light. Which isn't enough, but as I said this is my parents' place and I can't believe my mom's even allowing my LED to be on all day.
My plan is to just take them outside ASAP. But I have no idea what to do on the days that are cloudy with 0 sun, because England isn't reliable with the weather. My plants could go without sun for a full week at times.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Yeah I wouldn't during the sunniest part of the day. Maybe early or late morning. I'm not the most knowledgeable about this, but even though you are a higher latitude than here in Colorado the sun will be still be intense to them.
We also just finished the last of our freezes, most likely, so it was some crazy weather for late spring.

Do you already have your geeenhouse? If so I'd leave them in there. You could probably set the shade cloth up in the middle of the day and put them under that. I'd let some others chime in on that thought as well.

You can get a shade cloth of Amazon for like $15-20 USD. Idk what that would be in pounds.

Just a heads up in case you don't know my friend has grown Durban Poison a couple times before and told me spider mites love it. I don't mean to add any stress to your situation just something to keep an eye out for later. I thought about growing it this year but went with a couple others.

Good luck. I had some trouble starting this year but they have turned out well so far.

Yeeeeeah but I don't think people understand the weather here. It's not Californian sun. If Durban Poison can handle South African sun (that's where I'm from and the sun is a killer), it can 100% withstand England's sun. You're worried it will get too much sun but I'm worried it won't get ENOUGH. Sometimes England is cloudy for a week if not more. Today is a horrible day with no sun. What am I going to do during those times? Surely a week without sun isn't good for a cannabis plant.
Durban Poison was bought because it's good in the English climate however, so I'm not going to worry myself over unpredictable weather.

I don't have my greenhouse yet but that's my next goal. I want to put them outside ASAP.
Thank you, I'll take a look on Amazon.

Oh really? No no, thanks for telling me. I recently moved to the countryside and there's so many more bugs, so I'm not sure about what to do with that situation. I'm just going to have to keep an extra eye on them and use an organic bug spray if I see anything attaching to it.

Thank you very much, good luck with your grow as well :)

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I did not.
My light can't be set to anything specific so I tend to put it on at about 9-10am and then put it off around 11pm or midnight. So they get around 13 hours of light. Which isn't enough, but as I said this is my parents' place and I can't believe my mom's even allowing my LED to be on all day.
My plan is to just take them outside ASAP. But I have no idea what to do on the days that are cloudy with 0 sun, because England isn't reliable with the weather. My plants could go without sun for a full week at times.
Well you are doing right imo with the 13 hrs light.. I might bump it to 14, but really i need to know kinda where in England so we can look and see how long your day is right now, and what day does it get to 12/12 outside.. One thing no one brought to your attention, was that not just your light, but only getting 13 hrs a day, makes them elongated. You can see this at work in the wild. Tell ur mums, that that led isnt costing her $5 a month. Ur mums must be kool!
You can and should put them out side. You do need to put a shade cloth over them for the first week, letting them have 1 hour with out shade cloth first day, 2 hrs 2nd day, 3 hrs 3rd, etc till your 7 hrs off at the end of the week. As for the bendy stems, 2 things, 1 a healthy plant might fall but she will get up with in a day or 2.. she adjusts.. but you can also slice a straw down the side length wise, and put around her lower stem to give her support, till you feel she can stand on her own in the wild... As for the lack of Sun, she will get more than that led, and you should really see if you can find a grower on here from your neck of the woods, who grows outdoor and breeds, he will have strains and phenos that are native, or biologically trained to grow in your area...

Hope that helps your lil kushy,, Kayla :)
Welcome to the farm!

Irish063

Irish063

Yeeeeeah but I don't think people understand the weather here. It's not Californian sun. If Durban Poison can handle South African sun (that's where I'm from and the sun is a killer), it can 100% withstand England's sun. You're worried it will get too much sun but I'm worried it won't get ENOUGH. Sometimes England is cloudy for a week if not more. Today is a horrible day with no sun. What am I going to do during those times? Surely a week without sun isn't good for a cannabis plant.
Durban Poison was bought because it's good in the English climate however, so I'm not going to worry myself over unpredictable weather.

I don't have my greenhouse yet but that's my next goal. I want to put them outside ASAP.
Thank you, I'll take a look on Amazon.

Oh really? No no, thanks for telling me. I recently moved to the countryside and there's so many more bugs, so I'm not sure about what to do with that situation. I'm just going to have to keep an extra eye on them and use an organic bug spray if I see anything attaching to it.

Thank you very much, good luck with your grow as well :)

I totally understand. I wanted to get mine outside as soon as possible as well. Especially with your DB being pure sativa. I have an idea of England's weather. No personal experience unfortunately, just imagining by what people have told me. Sorry, didn't mean to make you think I was implying it would be getting to much sun. More that it would be too much intensity so early. Maybe try the shade cloth outside, the entire time they are out. Again, hopefully some others can offer tips on that. It's just the intensity difference can shock them a little and stunt their growth.

Also listen to @EventHorizan, he's got some great knowledge. That sounds like a good and easy way to harden them off. His tip about finding a UK member will be helpful. Their is a UK members only thread going in the Basic growing section. That might help you some as well.

I can't think of a way for you to build a inexpensive small greenhouse for the time being.

Not entirely sure how the a week+/- of sun will effect them. Obviously, they are getting some refracted light. I just don't know if that effects the photoperiod or not. I was still weaning my plants down from their 18/6 light cycle when I put them in the greenhouse so I moved the t5 out their and a space heater since we were still having some really cold/freezing temps at night.

I wouldn't stress too much about the bugs. I just wanted to give you a heads up in case they started acting funny or showing strange signs. Just keep an eye on them and they'll be fine.

Thank you.

Last edited:
KaylasKush

KaylasKush

I totally understand. I wanted to get mine outside as soon as possible as well. Especially with your DB being pure sativa. I have an idea of England's weather. No personal experience unfortunately, just imagining by what people have told me. Sorry, didn't mean to make you think I was implying it would be getting to much sun. More that it would be too much intensity so early. Maybe try the shade cloth outside, the entire time they are out. Again, hopefully some others can offer tips on that. It's just the intensity difference can shock them a little and stunt their growth.

Also listen to @EventHorizan, he's got some great knowledge. That sounds like a good and easy way to harden them off. His tip about finding a UK member will be helpful. Their is a UK members only thread going in the Basic growing section. That might help you some as well.

I can't think of a way for you to build a inexpensive small greenhouse for the time being.

Not entirely sure how the a week+/- of sun will effect them. Obviously, they are getting some refracted light. I just don't know if that effects the photoperiod or not. I was still weaning my plants down from their 18/6 light cycle when I put them in the greenhouse so I moved the t5 out their and a space heater since we were still having some really cold/freezing temps at night.

I wouldn't stress too much about the bugs. I just wanted to give you a heads up in case they started acting funny or showing strange signs. Just keep an eye on them and they'll be fine.

Thank you.

I didn't know it being a sativa changed that? And no not at all, I appreciate the info trust me. It's just that a few people have said I should watch out with the heat of the sun and giving it too much, whereas I'm so worried about it not getting enough before winter comes. I understand that sun exposure is naturally very strong though so it could be me being the dumbass thinking that the English sun isn't enough. I mean DP does well in England for so many people so I shouldn't stress myself over it.
I'll do as you say with the shade cloth and see if they thrive. I'm only going to know by trying at the end of the day :)

And awesome! Thanks so much I'm going to go check out the UK section for sure.

Yeah I've got zero mula to buy a greenhouse right now and I really want to get my babies out. My hero of a dad said he can build it for me but I think I'm just going to buy a small one as soon as I get my pay. See 18/6 I feel would be much better for them but there's days where I end up sleeping in too long and forgetting I need to put my light on, that's one thing that sucks about not having an automatic system. Just another reason I want to get them out into natural light ASAP.

Thanks so much for your help!

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Well you are doing right imo with the 13 hrs light.. I might bump it to 14, but really i need to know kinda where in England so we can look and see how long your day is right now, and what day does it get to 12/12 outside.. One thing no one brought to your attention, was that not just your light, but only getting 13 hrs a day, makes them elongated. You can see this at work in the wild. Tell ur mums, that that led isnt costing her $5 a month. Ur mums must be kool!
You can and should put them out side. You do need to put a shade cloth over them for the first week, letting them have 1 hour with out shade cloth first day, 2 hrs 2nd day, 3 hrs 3rd, etc till your 7 hrs off at the end of the week. As for the bendy stems, 2 things, 1 a healthy plant might fall but she will get up with in a day or 2.. she adjusts.. but you can also slice a straw down the side length wise, and put around her lower stem to give her support, till you feel she can stand on her own in the wild... As for the lack of Sun, she will get more than that led, and you should really see if you can find a grower on here from your neck of the woods, who grows outdoor and breeds, he will have strains and phenos that are native, or biologically trained to grow in your area...

Hope that helps your lil kushy,, Kayla :)
Welcome to the farm!

Ah okay so 13 hours isn't as bad as I think then. I'll try to bump it up before I start hardening off.
I live in West Sussex :) I tried checking for you but I don't know when it will get to 12/12.
Yes I know this from my initial mistake, haha. I had these plants by the window thinking "oh everything will be fine" buuuuut I wasn't aware at that point that long stems were a bad thing. My plants weren't receiving enough sun during the day.
This LED might not be costing her but surely adding a few more, far stronger ones will, hence when I'm avoiding it. I'm surprised she's even letting me grow in an illegal country so I won't push my luck, you know?

Thank you so much. I actually wanted to know how long/when it's okay to stop hardening off and leave it outside. I'll follow those instructions.

What bendy stems are you referring to though? Were they bendy in my pictures beforehand? Because they're perfectly fine now, the stem's have thickened and they're very straight :)
But I 100% agree it's time for them to go out and appreciate the sun instead of sharing a single LED. So even on a cloudy day, will my plants be getting more than the LED?
No idea how I will find a grower from the countryside of West Sussex, I can't even find a dealer around here (yes no such thing as dispensaries here, so sad) so nevermind that, haha. But thank you, I'm gonna look around the UK section, I might be in luck.

Have an awesome day and thanks for all the info bud!

Update: Yeah there's no one on here from West Sussex, as expected. But I'll look around just general UK threads :)

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ah okay so 13 hours isn't as bad as I think then. I'll try to bump it up before I start hardening off.
I live in West Sussex :) I tried checking for you but I don't know when it will get to 12/12.
Yes I know this from my initial mistake, haha. I had these plants by the window thinking "oh everything will be fine" buuuuut I wasn't aware at that point that long stems were a bad thing. My plants weren't receiving enough sun during the day.
This LED might not be costing her but surely adding a few more, far stronger ones will, hence when I'm avoiding it. I'm surprised she's even letting me grow in an illegal country so I won't push my luck, you know?

Thank you so much. I actually wanted to know how long/when it's okay to stop hardening off and leave it outside. I'll follow those instructions.

What bendy stems are you referring to though? Were they bendy in my pictures beforehand? Because they're perfectly fine now, the stem's have thickened and they're very straight :)
But I 100% agree it's time for them to go out and appreciate the sun instead of sharing a single LED. So even on a cloudy day, will my plants be getting more than the LED?
No idea how I will find a grower from the countryside of West Sussex, I can't even find a dealer around here (yes no such thing as dispensaries here, so sad) so nevermind that, haha. But thank you, I'm gonna look around the UK section, I might be in luck.

Have an awesome day and thanks for all the info bud!
here is a site that will tell you the 24 hr light schedule for your home area..

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2634258

Wow you guys are getting 16 hrs and 30 mins a day right now..

By looking at that I would get them out as soon as possible...
As for bendy stems, I thought I read that earlier I guess..
As for finding someone in your area.. I would just grow with what you got and do your best and talk about your grow, post pics and maybe someone in your area will reach out.. It may take 6 months, even a year, but sooner or later someone will... But it takes time...
Good luck

Irish063

Irish063

I didn't know it being a sativa changed that? And no not at all, I appreciate the info trust me. It's just that a few people have said I should watch out with the heat of the sun and giving it too much, whereas I'm so worried about it not getting enough before winter comes. I understand that sun exposure is naturally very strong though so it could be me being the dumbass thinking that the English sun isn't enough. I mean DP does well in England for so many people so I shouldn't stress myself over it.
I'll do as you say with the shade cloth and see if they thrive. I'm only going to know by trying at the end of the day :)

And awesome! Thanks so much I'm going to go check out the UK section for sure.

Yeah I've got zero mula to buy a greenhouse right now and I really want to get my babies out. My hero of a dad said he can build it for me but I think I'm just going to buy a small one as soon as I get my pay. See 18/6 I feel would be much better for them but there's days where I end up sleeping in too long and forgetting I need to put my light on, that's one thing that sucks about not having an automatic system. Just another reason I want to get them out into natural light ASAP.

Thanks so much for your help!
That's cool to hear DP does well in England for so many people. I considered growing or this year. Might do it next year or a maybe in an indoor run.

Yeah, def don't stress yourself too much. It others have grown it well there you'll be fine. Just watch 'em they'll let you know when things aren't right.

Maybe take your dad up on the offer.

Or this might work in a pinch until you can get the greenhouse you are wanting.
NuVue Products 24042 Pop-Up Greenhouse, 28-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPHV4QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xQEuzbFWHVKBN
Leave the vents open for sure because it's going to get super hot in there.
Maybe put it up on some blocks with some bents in the bottom to let some air circulate. Think fire pit- where they have the vent holes.

Keep in mind higher heat will mean a little more frequent on waterings.

While I was using the extra lighting I had them on a $8 timer. You just have to watch out with power outages.

I'm sure they will start thriving like you want once you get them out there.

Keep posting pics and questions on here. You'll find most people are super willing to help.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

That's cool to hear DP does well in England for so many people. I considered growing or this year. Might do it next year or a maybe in an indoor run.

Yeah, def don't stress yourself too much. It others have grown it well there you'll be fine. Just watch 'em they'll let you know when things aren't right.

NuVue Products 24042 Pop-Up Greenhouse, 28-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPHV4QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xQEuzbFWHVKBN
Maybe put it up on some blocks with some bents in the bottom to let some air circulate. Think fire pit- where they have the vent holes.

While I was using the extra lighting I had them on a $8 timer. You just have to watch out with power outages.

Keep posting pics and questions on here. You'll find most people are super willing to help.

Yeah people on here are super willing to help. I don't know what I'd be doing without all the advice I've been given.
To be honest I was second guessing my strain of choice but someone else has said DP was their favorite grow so I'm much more content.

As for the link, I absolutely love that and might go for it. I just need to look for a UK one because the shipping is crazy on that.
Loving the ideas though. Thanks so much. If I get it I'll put it up on some bricks for more circulation. And maybe early morning or towards evening I'll just take it off for them to get extra breeze.

Appreciate all the help! :)

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Yeah people on here are super willing to help. I don't know what I'd be doing without all the advice I've been given.
To be honest I was second guessing my strain of choice but someone else has said DP was their favorite grow so I'm much more content.

As for the link, I absolutely love that and might go for it. I just need to look for a UK one because the shipping is crazy on that.
Loving the ideas though. Thanks so much. If I get it I'll put it up on some bricks for more circulation. And maybe early morning or towards evening I'll just take it off for them to get extra breeze.

Ya I wouldn't get to worked up over strain, and things like that..
This whole year is really just a teaching and learning moment..
You have to learn your environment as much as the plant..
I dont know much about the UK, even tho i know you had some sad times lately
Our world is ever changing and crazy sometimes...
I would read up on brewing tea for you outside plants. It may be the best thing you can do for them..
I put a few plants out 6 weeks ago. They were about 6" tall.
They are about 3 foot now.. I just planted them in the ground, and i brew tea once a week and take out to them. I spray the leaves with Jacks dead bug spray,
and I put out some coyote urine to keep deer, and rabbits from eating my plants..
Im an indoor grower, but i had some extra clones and a few female seeds so I said what the hell
Free Sun lol
So far so good..

Irish063

Irish063

Glad it helps. I bet. The few things I've sent international was pretty ridiculous on shipping costs. I assumed Amazon had a U.K. based shipping center. I'm sure you can find something close to you.

Keep us updated.

Irish063

Irish063

Not to steal your thread @KaylasKush. @EventHorizan do you have a link for some reading up on teas? My attempt last year wasn't so great. I've got one from DrMcskunkins but I can always use more reading knowledge/reference.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Not to steal your thread @KaylasKush. @EventHorizan do you have a link for some reading up on teas? My attempt last year wasn't so great. I've got one from DrMcskunkins but I can always use more reading knowledge/reference.
add teaspoon of +life
teaspoon of molasses
cup of earth worm castings (tied in pantyhose)
Put it in a bucket of water with an air stone and air pump( the bigger the better)
bubble for 24 to 48 hrs
cut 1 cup of tea to 5 cups of water... feed plants
And foliar once a week with it to cut 5/1

Top Bottom