Help with RDWC establishing roots

• Thread starter login
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
login

login

First time RDWC grower here.

Seedlings in rockwool trans planted 3 days ago into system.

But the plants are very droopy/wilted looking.

No roots coming out the clay balls yet.

I think letting the air pump run continuously is making the rockwool cube to wet. So I set the air pump timer 4 hrs off 1 hr on.

What's the best air pump on/off time for establishing roots in these systems?

Help with rdwc establishing roots
_VLAD_

_VLAD_

I usually hand water until they start coming out and reach water but Im just regular dwc and definately not anywhere that size grow. Id say they are wilting because rockwool is staying too wet like you said.

This last run I switch to just rapidrooters no rockwool. Had to hand water more I noticed but theyre doing fine now

Hit up @Aquaman hes awesome at hydro and has enough patience to put up with me

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I too hand water until the roots hit the water which doesn't long. I only flower 4 at a time so keep that in mind. You probably have roots in the water now? I keep my water level about an inch or 2 below the net pots and have the air pump running constantly. I would fill those net pots to the top with pebbles, I know the top 1.5" of the pots is solid but a light leak isn't your friend.

I've been using 2 current culture 13 gal store bought systems. The one I use in veg is my original from 8 years ago and was set up with a air bladder type difuser in the epi. The new has nothing in the epi.

Plants are looking ok. They are about to start doing their thing when the roots hit the water.

Im interested to see what your lights will do as i run one 1000 wt hps per plant growing small trees.

20211005 041830

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I don't top feed, I have airstones running 24/7. Until roots poke out bottom I keep water level at bottom of rockwool. I allow the rockwool to wick it up. Yet once the roots are blasting out of the rockwool, I completely submerge the rockwool.

No top feeding is nice and I have yet to see it cause an issue.

login

login

I too hand water until the roots hit the water which doesn't long. I only flower 4 at a time so keep that in mind. You probably have roots in the water now? I keep my water level about an inch or 2 below the net pots and have the air pump running constantly. I would fill those net pots to the top with pebbles, I know the top 1.5" of the pots is solid but a light leak isn't your friend.

I've been using 2 current culture 13 gal store bought systems. The one I use in veg is my original from 8 years ago and was set up with a air bladder type difuser in the epi. The new has nothing in the epi.

Plants are looking ok. They are about to start doing their thing when the roots hit the water.

Im interested to see what your lights will do as i run one 1000 wt hps per plant growing small trees.

View attachment 1188639
I
I don't top feed, I have airstones running 24/7. Until roots poke out bottom I keep water level at bottom of rockwool. I allow the rockwool to wick it up. Yet once the roots are blasting out of the rockwool, I completely submerge the rockwool.

No top feeding is nice and I have yet to see it cause an issue.
That's interesting. My plants seem to be showing signs of over-watering in the rockwool cubes with the air pump running 24/7.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I've never heard of anyone in rdwc running their airstones or waterpump on a timer. I'd actually say not running your stones 24/7 could cause issues, perhaps the ones your having. The splashing bubbles are what keeps your water and rockwool oxygenated imo.

I now can officially say I can place a tap rooted seedling into a completely submerged rockwool, with airstones running full blast making bubbles pop on top of my pebbles. The white spots is from that, it's salts that have dried on top of my pebbles. The only way they can get there is due to water making it to the top of my pebbles and drying lol. I actually made a video of how I so it. Now I'm Fallponics which is top feed, so this might be a huge factor in why I can and others cannot. I feel my water surface level, where the rockwool is, where the bulk of roots are, well I feel that water has a very high o2 level, when compared to most hydro systems. So I'm Fallponics with airstones... Heavy surface turning.

I put my pics in to show ya it works. I havnt really tried diagnosing your issues yet. I'd need more info honestly.

Gimme a bit to study your system and ponder.

So the first pics was when I had the rockwool at 1/3rd submerged,and it worked perfect, so two months later I tried it fully submerged and it works perfect to. I havnt top fed on my last two grows and they have been the best in terms of growth rates.

Mine are droopy because lights are about to go out in an hour.

20210818 165748
20210729 173005
Screenshot 20211115 194501
Screenshot 20211115 194519
Last edited:
Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I have found that the root can have issues getting out of pot.
I have found it easier to fill my net pot so that there is only one layer approx, 3/8 across the little platform at the bottom.
Placing my cube there so that it only has a shortdistance to travel.

Would also bubble till they hit water , then I am going to a timer as I have found my early root development sucks with it bubbling like crazy.

My return falling into my reservoir is enough oxygen to make things grow like crazy.

login

login

So my net pots are different than yours it seems. The one I have are not flat bottoms, it's elevated in the center about 2 inches where the rockwool is placed so when the bubbles pops it hits the rockwool directly above it. there are no clay balls protecting the rw cubes from direct contact with the popping bubbles.

login

login

2 more questions. People say they hand water until roots hit water is that with the air pump running or not when feeding from the top?

And what ppm should my water be at vs the amount of light the plants are receiving? Right now I'm feeding 300 ppm with ro water but lights are dimmed down to 20%. Let say I increase to 75% ?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

2 more questions. People say they hand water until roots hit water is that with the air pump running or not when feeding from the top?

And what ppm should my water be at vs the amount of light the plants are receiving? Right now I'm feeding 300 ppm with ro water but lights are dimmed down to 20%. Let say I increase to 75% ?
Go buy lux. Those can handle 25k easy. As for ppm, just keep it low and your fine. 300 is fine for those also. Most people run their airstones 24/7 along with their waterpump. Yet as your saying, why if the roots are not in the water lol. . but then its like why make the solution. Guess they are relying on the misting of the roots to make them stretch, which would require the airpump to be on, yet not be enough wicking for top feeding? idk. .most hydro growers confuse the hell outta me

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Your roots are on the platform then the splash from the bubbling should be enough for them to reach out.
Might as well just call them exposed.

Personally have the Photone app on my iPhone , to be my friend for light intensity.

Proper ppfd , dli for 8.50 a year to read an led properly.

good luck with the grow as once this is dialed up , hold on.

Enjoy

login

login

Update. All but one has roots poping out the bottom, but there leaves are yellowing from the bottom up. So I uped the ppm from 300 to 500.
Lights are still dimmed to 20%.

Orp at 375 mv
Water temp 68 f
Air temp 78 f
Humidity 70%
Ppm uped to 500 from 300 today
Ph steady at 5.8

20211118 091533
20211118 091557
login

login

I just flushed the hell out of those RW cubes, I think letting them dry out before top feeding caused salt to build up in them and that's why there yellowing.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

When i hand water before roots hit the water its only dumping 1/2 cup of water 2 or 3 times a day. Use current culture 5.5 " net pots with the raised bottom part.
20200507 104051

The roots in the picture you posted. With water level below the net pots 1 inch the bubbles bursting creates that humid zone.

Salt build up (IMO) is why i don't keep the cubes submerged and the water level below the net pots

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Update. All but one has roots poping out the bottom, but there leaves are yellowing from the bottom up. So I uped the ppm from 300 to 500.
Lights are still dimmed to 20%.

Orp at 375 mv
Water temp 68 f
Air temp 78 f
Humidity 70%
Ppm uped to 500 from 300 today
Ph steady at 5.8
You have upped the ppm.

And how have they been eating?

Just a survey, droopy leaves and yellowing and the under shot.
Not very white.

SmanMo

SmanMo

I find you have to make the plants work for the water just a little. I keep the bottom of the net pot touching the water until I start seeing roots then I slow lower the water level and once I', below the pot about 1-2 inches I keep it at that level as full level the rest of the grow. This works best with every plant I have used in this setup

login

login

The ppms haven't dropped any at all the whole week in the system but they have grown very little if even at all.

I guess increasing the nutes was pointless. I dont understand why there not growing, my assumption was they were going to take off really quick when I put them in the system.

20211118 162130
PK1

PK1

Supporter
your water level should be below the netpot, not below the rockwool. when your air is running through the stones it will create moisture in the empty space. top water just to get the roots to grow out and they will reach the water level.

login

login

your water level should be below the netpot, not below the rockwool. when your air is running through the stones it will create moisture in the empty space. top water just to get the roots to grow out and they will reach the water level.
I have it set one inch below the net pot. Should it be lower?

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I have it set one inch below the net pot. Should it be lower?
ok, that's fine. Just top feed it until the roots hit the water. in one of the pictures you are showing bottom of the netcup and i can see roots coming out. There is also good amount of condensation which is a good thing.

Top Bottom