Hempy Buckets

• Thread starter Guano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hygrade

i've never grown any real trees in hempy buckets but the pics i've seen from hempy's original thread were filled with some huge trees

B

boxmunch9

Perlite just seems so light to me. Im gonna try it in one room thou cuz i havent heard anyone say it goes slow or yeild poorly, all good things.Anyone have any pics of bigger container hempys

BombBP

BombBP

I have some 2 gallons running but my plants just hit the res so they haven't really taken off. I could post pics anyway when my lights flip on if you'd like.

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Coco hempys, about 1 1/4 month old, fed everyday no brown roots just pearly white hairy beautiful healthy roots :banana:

DSC05785
DSC05784
DSC05782
B

bicycle racer

i do hempys outdoor perlite/vermiculite great simple method and good yields.

S

Sway

ive been growin in hempy buckets for years, i use the supper chunky perlite, with a very fine vermiculite. i also mix it about 35-45% perlite with the rest vermiculite. helps hold a little more water for less waterings. i water once a day and get great results. i used to run aeroponic systems, ebb and flow, dwc, soil, and through all my trials i have to say hempy buckets perform the best, are the cheapest, and easiest to maintain with the least amount of problems. im a hempy soldier for life.

G

GRAMTOWN

Just started a couple of those Hempy buckets the other day w/ 100% perlite and GH nutes. Bout to start a few tubs hempy style very excited to see the results compared to soil as I am running all the same strain in the same conditions, nutes, etc. so comparison in results should be accurate. might try 2 soil tubs and 2 hempy tubs for accuracy. yeild should be great on both

C

Coxie

ive been growin in hempy buckets for years, i use the supper chunky perlite, with a very fine vermiculite. i also mix it about 35-45% perlite with the rest vermiculite. helps hold a little more water for less waterings. i water once a day and get great results. i used to run aeroponic systems, ebb and flow, dwc, soil, and through all my trials i have to say hempy buckets perform the best, are the cheapest, and easiest to maintain with the least amount of problems. im a hempy soldier for life.

Sway, what kind of yields can be had? Can you use a lot of light, like with the mpb's?

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Ive been running hempys for about 2 years
Im doing a side by side test running 3 5 gal buckets original hempy and 3 coco and perlite rez. Im about on day 10 veg and so far the coco hempys are out growing the perlite buckets. Ill let ya know how it works out.
I was hitting 1/4 # - 6 ozs per bucket 4 buckets per 1k.
BG

beezleb878

beezleb878

I have noticed that just about all the hempy buckets threads where I see someone try coco they stay with it. Perlite/vermiculute or the like in the rez and the rest coco or a mix.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I have been very happy with vermiculite/perlite mix. Vermiculite helps so can go a day without watering. Whole point is that you dont need to water everyday with these, if you use perlite only and then need to water everyday might as well use a normal grow pot.

Also i mix in clay rocks on bottom and top. really easy and clean, big worry about coco for me and where i live is bugs. And the vermiculite and perlite is super cheap and easy to get.

I am a big fan of hempy buckets. Avg size bucket i run is 2 gallon and on good yeilder can get 2-3z with just couple weeks veg. Small yeilders without much training can be 1z

I am going to start playing around with some tree size hempys in a month or so.

JB

W

whiskeygirl

Hempy set-up

This seems like a good thread to ask these questions.

I already have a bunch of Hydroton and Botanicare coco. I want to set up my next grow in 5 gallon buckets (again, already have them). My thinking was to use the Hydroton for the res and straight coco above. I have 16 clones in 2" rockwool cubes in solo cups with some hydroton around. The clones are about 8" tall with good roots.
Questions:
When should I transplant into the Hempys?
What size of drain hole? Still about 2" up from bottom?
What/how do I "pre-charge" the Botanicare coca?
Water/feeding schedule??

Anything I'm missing??

Thanks for any help!

B

BoCo Buds

Seeing as it's hydro but with coco,I wonder if coco or hydro nutes are more appropriate...as long as you add Cal-Mag it might not matter :thinking

Hi Guano... used coir for nearly 2 years & have been back on hempy for the last year or so.

I can say w/o any reservation, coir is my favorite medium... once the cation balance is reached (&pH stabilizes)... you can run it any which way you want... never have I seen plants take so well to a medium. You can run it straight w/o cutting, or add a bunch of rocks/perlite, whichever. You can recirc it or simple d2w. You can run small 2L pots w a lot of waterings, or 5 gal on a lower cycle. You can run w/ever brand, as long as it is preflushed/charged. you can use organic soil nutes, or straight GH 3 part... just dialing it in. You can add cm+ or epsoms or nothing at all... each works. Very versatile.

HOWEVER... every single problem pest loves coir as much as the plants... I shit you not. AND... most bags have bugs in em already... even Canna. I've been through a shit load of em... pallets... and yes, the bugs, be it from the distributors & retails or Canna themselves... they are there. Or at least you take a good gamble this is the case. Go dehydrated bricks... CCGro.

Just my experiences... I couldn't beat a certain bug & in a continuous set-up... couldn't ever get rid of em entirely. Hence my switch back to Hempy... and no more bugs. Can rock the hempy's just as well... really use the up-potting & you can fill that bad boy with a shit ton of root wraps. Rootshield works very well too... in either coir or hempy.

Peace bro!

B

BoCo Buds

What/how do I "pre-charge" the Botanicare coca?

You'l find this elsewhere... and you'll find a great deal of dissent on this as well...

I just mix a 250 ppm base veg nute & 100 ppm of CM+... all of which is pH'd to 6.5 for the initial rinse. I like to pH up w Dolomite Lime... finely ground, well mixed in solution.

Place my hydrated coir in big drain buckets & poor the above mix until my run-off comes out clear & pH balanced & in line w my source ppm's.

You have effectively rinsed all the residual gunk & pith & Na & K out of the coir... and precharged to the coirs buffer w proper/usable cations... and pH stabilized the medium.

Depending upon the brand you start with, the amount of initial solution to flush will change. But once the pH stabilizes, you are pretty good to go.

Or you don't have to & just get by until it does on it's own... in d2w. Recircin ya need to balance & flush to avoid problems. Peace.

Indica Jones

Indica Jones

What is the best % to use with coco and perlite doing Hempy bucket?

Top Bottom