High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I'm starting this discussion to help further mine and others knowledge of THCV rich cannabis strains.
I know that sativa landrace strains especially those that were native to Hawaii were THCV rich. There's a new one called thc victory, but what are some lesser known high THCV strains?
Durban poison, jack the ripper are a few but I want some seeds to acquire for breeding of my own high THCV strains.
Let the discussion begin.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Maybe @Aqua Man
@Moe.Red
Or some guru either of you could recommend can point me in the right direction.

The high THCV strains listed on the interwebs are non existent. Are there any easily accessible regular seeds I could get my hands on that anyone knows of?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Maybe @Aqua Man
@Moe.Red
Or some guru either of you could recommend can point me in the right direction.

The high THCV strains listed on the interwebs are non existent. Are there any easily accessible regular seeds I could get my hands on that anyone knows of?
Wish I could bro... I can ask around for ya though.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I am going to try and find out! I have Maui Wowie, Haze, Panama, Durban, Golden Tiger (Malwai x Thai), Malawi, Widow, Pakistani Hindu Kush area, old Skunk, and Panama x Bangi Haze seeds to get through looking for interesting cannabinoid profiles. My testing kit just came today.

It is not my primary focus to breed toward THCV but I will certainly be posting the test results for all my stuff going forward. Should be a data point, however imperfect.

jollycanna

jollycanna

New,Gwan the keeper of the trees...available soon.
Supporter
I read cherry pie somewheres but not a fan of fem seeds.
fem seeds from the right company are the shit! It narrows the genotype traits so you have a higher chance of getting the description of the seed you got. Regs unless done the right way have a lot of geno variations. But I herd reg seed mother keep their chronic longer. I'm so happy people made fem seeds of the classic clone only strains because they are so tired. I have few companies I like that do fem seeds, they get me the falvor n effect.
But ive had junk fem seeds. They lacked most of the strains traits and effect, ruderalis like. But other seed companies were legendary fems.

Last edited:
jollycanna

jollycanna

New,Gwan the keeper of the trees...available soon.
Supporter
I'm starting this discussion to help further mine and others knowledge of THCV rich cannabis strains.
I know that sativa landrace strains especially those that were native to Hawaii were THCV rich. There's a new one called thc victory, but what are some lesser known high THCV strains?
Durban poison, jack the ripper are a few but I want some seeds to acquire for breeding of my own high THCV strains.
Let the discussion begin.
thcv 9lb hammer had some. African sativas... Mulanje gold had so much thcv I couldn't preform sexually cuz I was tripping so hard. Not for the beginner or even novice. Beware.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Trips, if I had the genetics figured out I would share with anyone who asked. I'm still working it.

If anyone is reading this and doesn't know what THCV is, it is pretty amazing stuff. There have been studies, but not enough. To my knowledge it has not been synthesized yet like THC=Merinol. For someone with diabetes there seems to be quite a bit of promise. Just an all around interesting cannabinoid that has not been fully expressed and understood yet.

I am about to harvest 2 Jack the Rippers. I'm TLC testing weekly on those, and to this point they show no more THVC than a standard variety whatever. I'm looking hard at 3 things. I am either:

testing wrong
growing wrong
or
the genetics really are not what they are sold as.

I have the ability to control every environmental aspect (light, spectrum, temp, RH, res temp, CO2, PH, etc. etc) so if someone has an idea on what set points to change to maximize THVC, I'm all ears.

As far as the testing, I am using standard TLC tech and I have done enough of this that I get consistent results. I think the biggest factor in expressing THCV is the decarb prior to TLC testing. I think THCV needs longer and hotter than THC to move it from acid to a nice spot on the plate, which will diminish the THC and CBD components, but I'm fine with that if it works. Still testing that theory out.

As far as the genetics, I have done Durban Poison and Jack the Ripper. I would be willing to pay the exorbitant price for THC Victory if I knew it was legit. Bottom line, I don't have the answer yet. But I am fully engaged in finding it and sharing with anyone when I do. I am open to ideas.

I have a bit of a lab in my basement. I think I may be a little unique there. If anyone has ideas but does not have a lab to try them in, I'll be your daisy, just gotta be a repeatable test using the scientific method is my only requirement. If it is not repeatable by another party, it is not data.

Terpz719

Terpz719

Trips, if I had the genetics figured out I would share with anyone who asked. I'm still working it.

If anyone is reading this and doesn't know what THCV is, it is pretty amazing stuff. There have been studies, but not enough. To my knowledge it has not been synthesized yet like THC=Merinol. For someone with diabetes there seems to be quite a bit of promise. Just an all around interesting cannabinoid that has not been fully expressed and understood yet.

I am about to harvest 2 Jack the Rippers. I'm TLC testing weekly on those, and to this point they show no more THVC than a standard variety whatever. I'm looking hard at 3 things. I am either:

testing wrong
growing wrong
or

I have the ability to control every environmental aspect (light, spectrum, temp, RH, res temp, CO2, PH, etc. etc) so if someone has an idea on what set points to change to maximize THVC, I'm all ears.

As far as the testing, I am using standard TLC tech and I have done enough of this that I get consistent results. I think the biggest factor in expressing THCV is the decarb prior to TLC testing. I think THCV needs longer and hotter than THC to move it from acid to a nice spot on the plate, which will diminish the THC and CBD components, but I'm fine with that if it works. Still testing that theory out.

As far as the genetics, I have done Durban Poison and Jack the Ripper. I would be willing to pay the exorbitant price for THC Victory if I knew it was legit. Bottom line, I don't have the answer yet. But I am fully engaged in finding it and sharing with anyone when I do. I am open to ideas.

I have a bit of a lab in my basement. I think I may be a little unique there. If anyone has ideas but does not have a lab to try them in, I'll be your daisy, just gotta be a repeatable test using the scientific method is my only requirement. If it is not repeatable by another party, it is not data.
You're right regarding the temps. THC - 315° F and THCV is 428° F.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yes, I think you might be referring to boiling point, which you don't want to come anywhere near when performing
decarboxylation.

I will be doing a series of tests at different temps and times on the same plant to figure out the sweet spot. I'll post results.

Terpz719

Terpz719

Yes, I think you might be referring to boiling point, which you don't want to come anywhere near when performing
decarboxylation.

I will be doing a series of tests at different temps and times on the same plant to figure out the sweet spot. I'll post results.
You're right. Sorry I misread. Really looking forward to your testing.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Question: When performing a decarb on live plant, do you think the lack of drying / curing could be the problem? What I do for these 2 plants is cut off a bud, and put it in my vacuum oven (wet) at X temp for X time under vacuum. The oven is PID controlled, so it maintains temp very accurately. I then process the result using TLC. I get good, repeatable plates. There is essentially no water left in the plant after the oven. I could also freeze dry, but that takes 24 hours.

My question really gets to how and when THCV is synthesized. My testing indicates it is not early in the plant's life. So when? Throughout the grow like THCA, ramping up at the end of flower? Maybe only at the very end of flower? Only happens when you cure? Man, if someone could clue me in here, I'd be off to the races.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Question: When performing a decarb on live plant, do you think the lack of drying / curing could be the problem? What I do for these 2 plants is cut off a bud, and put it in my vacuum oven (wet) at X temp for X time under vacuum. The oven is PID controlled, so it maintains temp very accurately. I then process the result using TLC. I get good, repeatable plates. There is essentially no water left in the plant after the oven. I could also freeze dry, but that takes 24 hours.

My question really gets to how and when THCV is synthesized. My testing indicates it is not early in the plant's life. So when? Throughout the grow like THCA, ramping up at the end of flower? Maybe only at the very end of flower? Only happens when you cure? Man, if someone could clue me in here, I'd be off to the races.
Screenshot 20210112 095448
Screenshot 20210112 095455
Screenshot 20210112 095530
Screenshot 20210112 095536
Screenshot 20210112 095546
Screenshot 20210112 095554

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks for the reminder Milson. I'll go reread that book tonight.

Screen Shot 2021 01 12 at 102455 AM

In our case, we have the ability to analyze with chromatography. What I need to develop is a testing strategy that allows us to figure out which variable is most likely to have an impact and change the variable and test. I'll read everything I can get my hands on to try to figure it out. Thanks again for your post, I forgot all about this section of this book.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'll throw this out there -

I have 2 out of 6 plants that are about 20% amber trichomes that are supposedly high THCV.

Are there any last minute things I should try prior to harvest? I can change virtually anything. And I will have 4 other plants we can use as controls.

Madbudder

Madbudder

testing wrong
growing wrong
or

Hey brother, would you happen to have a Canadian link for THCV legit strains?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I'll throw this out there -

I have 2 out of 6 plants that are about 20% amber trichomes that are supposedly high THCV.

Are there any last minute things I should try prior to harvest? I can change virtually anything. And I will have 4 other plants we can use as controls.
Do you expose them to UV? Far Red?

I have no idea how to get thcv explicitly tbh but UV definitely has some effect on thc from what I have experienced and read.

I also have suspicions on lowering air pressure to simulate higher altitudes. My suspicions are all around "what is it like where they grow really good pot" and so i think colombian highlands, thailand, etc.

Top Bottom