High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

MIMEd, Brendan, you have convinced me. Here is my thought:

I currently have 6 plants in the tent, only 2 are supposedly high THCV. Maybe I harvest the other 4 now and just leave the 2 Jack the Rippers in there by themselves. Let them go for another month or more. Back down nutes, probably back off the lighting, and see what happens. Keep doing TLC testing once a week and see if the THCV starts to ramp up? Sound like a solid approach?

Have at it. I am very impressed how you are able to integrate new viewpoints so easily. Thank you for contributing to our community. This is super interesting stuff!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I was reading that scientists think that maybe certain types of infrared light may trigger sativa plants to synthesize THCV in late flower.

I don't think there is anything to infrared other than heat, perhaps it needs to run hotter than I would typically.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I don't think there is anything to infrared other than heat, perhaps it needs to run hotter than I would typically.
That would make sense as to why the landrace strains from south africa and hawaii have THCV, it's hotter in both places.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Another strain lead. I will ride hard for this breeder.

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
But THCV is newly discovered. The strains that are showing high amounts didn't necessarily always show high amounts but they sometimes do. That leads me to think that it's genetics mixed with environment.
I agree there is likely a significant environmental component.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Another strain lead.
If it were me, i think I might dig until i find a strain with significant thcv, pair it to one of those bad boys who shows good thcv, cross them, find two good F1s, cross that, and i bet you could find a pretty special F2 with enough digging. That is my gut take on that, several bowls deep at nearly 1am local. Lol.

I would also look hard at hawaiian gear and environment. Humidity, pressure, light, etc.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

Durban is not particularly hot compared to....thailand, colombia, jamaica, Mexico, vietnam, southern india, etc.

Fwiw.

But it is still significantly warmer than most indoor grows. In the height of summer its not unusual to see 30° C still at 1:00am. And don't forget the humidity, it tends to hover between 65 and 85% RH in summer... I'm not sure how to keep an indoor grow that high without issues...

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
If it were me, i think I might dig until i find a strain with significant thcv, pair it to one of those bad boys who shows good thcv, cross them, find two good F1s, cross that, and i bet you could find a pretty special F2 with enough digging. That is my gut take on that, several bowls deep at nearly 1am local. Lol.

I would also look hard at hawaiian gear and environment. Humidity, pressure, light, etc.
Good night, its early morning here...
Surely in the next few years we will see the same as with the high CBD strains.
If there is a market, there will be high THCV strains, high CBG, and probably some surprises as the recently discovered THCP, supposedly 30 times stronger than THC.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
But it is still significantly warmer than most indoor grows. In the height of summer its not unusual to see 30° C still at 1:00am. And don't forget the humidity, it tends to hover between 65 and 85% RH in summer... I'm n
But it is still significantly warmer than most indoor grows. In the height of summer its not unusual to see 30° C still at 1:00am. And don't forget the humidity, it tends to hover between 65 and 85% RH in summer... I'm not sure how to keep an indoor grow that high without issues...
That seems very similar to the mediterranean climate where i live.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

Durban is is roughly 30°S so yes, it should be pretty similar climate. Remember we also have the warm Mozambique current that flows past our shores and this makes a big difference to our climate

Latest posts

Top Bottom