High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Really? And what is the specific chemical reaction that removes the carboxyl group?

Sorry, Dude, but just making stuff up is the ultimate source of "Bro-science."

I should have added to the comment but i said already some decarb from time in jars and air. Some from baking the muffins in the oven and some from the heat in our digestion process.

Cooking weed in an oven prior to making concentrates is relatively new science. We made edibles and got high for 30 years without doing it.

And i think the final product is missing something from the process.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Cool!

I run a 26w lizard lamp in a 3x3 tent...rotate the plants to get exposure. Unscientifically, the plants react pretty significantly to it. The smell after a session is distinctive imo.

I suspect running that and far red (which i am suspicious affects branching behavior in cannabis) significantly improves my pot. I am curious to test my next batch....need to get to the store to buy a more precise scale so i can prepare my samples properly and see what tlc says.

Instead of expecting significant improvement maybe be realistic. Highly diminishing returns are what results from light spectrum changes.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So I'm trying to figure out the UV side of things:

From our own research grows, Black Dog LED has demonstrated that UVA light alone can increase THC and CBD production in Cannabis plants. The combination of UVA and UVB light (from a standard "reptile bulb" fluorescent light) also increases THC and CBD production, but the inclusion of UVB in the light has noticeable detrimental effects on plant growth compared to only UVA.

This is why we've engineered the Black Dog LED Phyto-Genesis Spectrum™ to only include UVA light, without any UVB wavelengths. The UVA still increases production of secondary metabolites such as THC, CBD, terpenes and flavonoids but without the negative effects of UVB light.

From
here

I'm thinking that this would be a good option.

to add to the LED tent that has the 2 Jacks in it.

Have you read ed rosenthals grow book? He tested all the stuff we talk about and the results are all in the book. A few days can be saved in transition with added far red. But my question is does shortening transition hurt final quality and yield?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You are supposed to turn on the far red for the last 20 minutes to help replicate a sunset to help induce plant sleep. I've never heard of using uv for more than the last hour.

If the thc bump is what you use uvb for it has been proven that using it the last two weeks gives the same increase as the whole cycle. Solis tech made a finishing 10k mh bulb for this purpose. Switched in the last two weeks only.

growsince79

growsince79

Have you read ed rosenthals grow book? He tested all the stuff we talk about and the results are all in the book. A few days can be saved in transition with added far red. But my question is does shortening transition hurt final quality and yield?
I've spent 4 decades experimenting. A ripe 3 month old bud is exactly the same quality and potentcy as a 3 year old ripe clone of same female. Ed was right to point that out in his books.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've spent 4 decades experimenting. A ripe 3 month old bud is exactly the same quality and potentcy as a 3 year old ripe clone of same female. Ed was right to point that out in his books.

Not sure what you are saying here? I was talking about emerson effect.

growsince79

growsince79

Not sure what you are saying here? I was talking about emerson effect.
You asked if shortening the transition affects quality and yield. The answer is no it doesn't affect quality. Whether you use low N high P or even 11-13 light to speed things up, it doesn't matter. A ripe 12 week old plant with one ripe bud is the same quality and potentcy as the same 15 foot ripe clone. Yes it does affect overall yield since the later plants had more time to get bigger. But relative yield will be the about the same. Not much diff imo. If anything the faster ones have a better relative yield. I just ordered the new hlg with added red. I really dont expect much difference at all. But we shall see.

Skeptik

Skeptik

I should have added to the comment but i said already some decarb from time in jars and air. Some from baking the muffins in the oven and some from the heat in our digestion process.

Decarboxylation certainly occurs in a jar, stomach, or muffin, but in the 2 former environments it would take place over the course of months. Muffins cooking in an oven, faster, but still too slow. The interior of a muffin isn't going to get much over 100'C irrespective of the oven temp, until it dries out, in which case it would be inedible. This is the common mistake people make; that cooking edibles effectively decarbs the weed, but they're probably only getting 40-50% of what they would if they decarb effectively.

: said:
Cooking weed in an oven prior to making concentrates is relatively new science. We made edibles and got high for 30 years without doing it.

I have to disagree. Back in my youth (wayyyyy back) we would make brownies or whatever, and we'd put like an ounce of bud in a small batch and share it between 4 guys, where smoking it, we could have lit up a whole party. Always frustrated us, but it was the "rule: you had to eat a lot more than you smoke."

: said:
And i think the final product is missing something from the process.

Okay...

growsince79

growsince79

Decarboxylation certainly occurs in a jar, stomach, or muffin, but in the 2 former environments it would take place over the course of months. Muffins cooking in an oven, faster, but still too slow. The interior of a muffin isn't going to get much over 100'C irrespective of the oven temp, until it dries out, in which case it would be inedible. This is the common mistake people make; that cooking edibles effectively decarbs the weed, but they're probably only getting 40-50% of what they would if they decarb effectively.

I have to disagree. Back in my youth (wayyyyy back) we would make brownies or whatever, and we'd put like an ounce of bud in a small batch and share it between 4 guys, where smoking it, we could have lit up a whole party. Always frustrated us, but it was the "rule: you had to eat a lot more than you smoke."

Okay...
Agree 100% nobody I knew had that kind of money to waste. I did try using trim to make cookies a couple times. They tasted like shit and didn't get me high. It wasn't until the 90s when I learned you couldn't cook it at 350.

growsince79

growsince79

Okay...
Now that I know how to do it, it works much better. 1/4g kif is what maybe 15 tokes idk? But eating it lasts 5-6 hours. So not that much of a waste if you grow your own. I remember eating a half ounce colombian and not feeling a thing. Tasted like shit but at least I didn't get busted. LOL my moms poodle once ate a couple ozs and was fine till my brother got home.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Good morning here some studies on THCV.

OldPork

OldPork

Doug's Varin
Pineapple Purps
Durban Poison
Power Plant
Willie Nelson
Red Congolese
Jack the Ripper
Durban Cheese
Skunk #1

shaganja

shaganja

So I'm trying to figure out the UV side of things:

From our own research grows, Black Dog LED has demonstrated that UVA light alone can increase THC and CBD production in Cannabis plants. The combination of UVA and UVB light (from a standard "reptile bulb" fluorescent light) also increases THC and CBD production, but the inclusion of UVB in the light has noticeable detrimental effects on plant growth compared to only UVA.

This is why we've engineered the Black Dog LED Phyto-Genesis Spectrum™ to only include UVA light, without any UVB wavelengths. The UVA still increases production of secondary metabolites such as THC, CBD, terpenes and flavonoids but without the negative effects of UVB light.

From
here

I'm thinking that this would be a good option.

to add to the LED tent that has the 2 Jacks in it.
Very interesting. Previous studies found no increase in cbd using uv. So this goes against that.

shaganja

shaganja

Do you expose them to UV? Far Red?

I have no idea how to get thcv explicitly tbh but UV definitely has some effect on thc from what I have experienced and read.

I also have suspicions on lowering air pressure to simulate higher altitudes. My suspicions are all around
Do you expose them to UV? Far Red?

I have no idea how to get thcv explicitly tbh but UV definitely has some effect on thc from what I have experienced and read.

I also have suspicions on lowering air pressure to simulate higher altitudes. My suspicions are all around "what is it like where they grow really good pot" and so i think colombian highlands, thailand, etc.
I believe the reason higher altitude is the distance to the sun.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Have you read ed rosenthals grow book? He tested all the stuff we talk about and the results are all in the book.

I'm looking at that and several others on my shelf now.

These books are not growing for or testing for THCV. That's what this thread is about so I am trying to stick to the topic.

We simply do not know what is required for THCV. It is my strong belief that THCV production is 90% genetics and 10% grower involvement. The only way I know how to test that belief is to throw variables at the grow and measure results. A drop in THCV content by changing variables is as good a result as THCV going up - I just want to see a change that can be duplicated. I'm taking some of the same approaches as Ed with a different cannabinoid.

We can extrapolate from all the testing done on THC by Ed and others as a guide to what to try, but these experiments need to stand on their own.

Now if I am incorrect and there is some solid published trials or evidence on growing for THCV, please let us know - I'll read anything.

Here is the kind of information I am looking to find:

5% THCV content is achievable on XXX genetics when growing from clone, adding 2 weeks to flower (possibly destroying other cannabinoids) and adding XXX in the final month of flower or whatever the variable / result is. That should then be duplicated by other growers before it is stated as fact. That is not in any book, Ed's or other, that I have found.

Top Bottom