High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pippins

Pippins

So what are the easiest high THCV strains to obtain seeds for right now?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

What is that?

Short Path Distillation

20180206cannabis distillate 1

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

From Norcal Farms:

Question: What is a feminized seed?
Answer: Here’s what High Times had to say…

Some of the best breeders in the world offer feminized lines and more join them every day. They’re big in Europe, representing over 90% of sales in some countries, states Green House seeds.

Feminized genetics are ideal for quick and easy growing and flowering, Sensi Seeds writes. “With feminized seeds, gardeners decide how many bushes they want, germinate that number of seeds, then simply grow, flower and reap their rewards.”

Breeders make feminized seeds by stressing a female plant into growing male sex features like pollen, and then using this pollen to fertilize another female. The resulting seeds lack male chromosomes.

Stressing products in use include eliteXelite, the hormone giberillic acid, or the more popular silver thiosulfate solution, Cervantes said.

There is little difference in aroma, flavor, and THC levels between a regular and ‘fem’ variety, High Times reports. But feminized seeds got a bad reputation due to early efforts with plants that had high hermaphroditic tendencies.

“The problem with this method is that subsequent generations will have the same latent intersex tendencies. Stress also brings on inter¬sex tendencies earlier,” said Cervantes.

Modern techniques coax pollen from highly unhermaphroditic strains, but they’re still not the best mothers.

Hard core growers turn their nose up at feminized seeds, Cannabis Culture writes, and prefer mother plants and clones. But outside The Netherlands and North America (where shipping seeds breaks federal law) cloning isn’t as popular.

Feminized seeds are great for growers without access to clean clones, or for demoing an exotic strain you can’t get in clone form locally, or for folks that don’t want to clone their own — especially newcomers, and guerrilla growers.

MORE: It has been our experience that feminized seeds suck. Because a Feminized seed has been treated or stressed to become Feminized, all of that trauma and or hormonal treatment is turned into genetic information that is carried on to offspring. Seeds that are feminized are NOT stabilized sexually and in our OPINION, they are weakened and confused. Feminized plants tend to freak out from any stress from lighting, feeding and or temperature. Using Feminized seeds can become your worst nightmare when you find your finished crop has seeds! *A quick note and reminder that Feminized seeds may also be an unstable strain as well as unstable sexually.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
From Norcal Farms:

Question: What is a feminized seed?
Answer: Here’s what High Times had to say…

Some of the best breeders in the world offer feminized lines and more join them every day. They’re big in Europe, representing over 90% of sales in some countries, states Green House seeds.

Feminized genetics are ideal for quick and easy growing and flowering, Sensi Seeds writes. “With feminized seeds, gardeners decide how many bushes they want, germinate that number of seeds, then simply grow, flower and reap their rewards.”

Breeders make feminized seeds by stressing a female plant into growing male sex features like pollen, and then using this pollen to fertilize another female. The resulting seeds lack male chromosomes.

Stressing products in use include eliteXelite, the hormone giberillic acid, or the more popular silver thiosulfate solution, Cervantes said.

There is little difference in aroma, flavor, and THC levels between a regular and ‘fem’ variety, High Times reports. But feminized seeds got a bad reputation due to early efforts with plants that had high hermaphroditic tendencies.

“The problem with this method is that subsequent generations will have the same latent intersex tendencies. Stress also brings on inter¬sex tendencies earlier,” said Cervantes.

Modern techniques coax pollen from highly unhermaphroditic strains, but they’re still not the best mothers.

Hard core growers turn their nose up at feminized seeds, Cannabis Culture writes, and prefer mother plants and clones. But outside The Netherlands and North America (where shipping seeds breaks federal law) cloning isn’t as popular.

Feminized seeds are great for growers without access to clean clones, or for demoing an exotic strain you can’t get in clone form locally, or for folks that don’t want to clone their own — especially newcomers, and guerrilla growers.

MORE: It has been our experience that feminized seeds suck. Because a Feminized seed has been treated or stressed to become Feminized, all of that trauma and or hormonal treatment is turned into genetic information that is carried on to offspring. Seeds that are feminized are NOT stabilized sexually and in our OPINION, they are weakened and confused. Feminized plants tend to freak out from any stress from lighting, feeding and or temperature. Using Feminized seeds can become your worst nightmare when you find your finished crop has seeds! *A quick note and reminder that Feminized seeds may also be an unstable strain as well as unstable sexually.
There are also many growers here who grow from feminized seeds without issue.

I will say, when you think about the stress testing credible growers do for feminized pollen donors..it is a very firm selective pressure that for regs is not there in the same way and so that pressure can go elsewhere.

For instance, rasta Jeff talks about spiking the pH in plants, exposing them to half a week of a light schedule change mid flower, very aggressive training and defoliation, drought, etc.

Sure, a plant that won't throw nanners at any of that will accept a lot of abuse and still produce sinsemilla, but as a gardener i don't necessarily personally want to select for "can be grown by many flavors of imbecile." Plant only needs to put up with one. So i might select a different plant for my own needs.

Last edited:
boatbum850

boatbum850

While being "child proof " might not fit everyones needs , just like fems don't either . For the rookies & older sick folks I could see the appeal . Speaking for myself some of us do not have the time , space , skill nor disposible income to pop a bunch of regs , keep moms , clone etc.
For what you guys are doing IMHO the less variables the better especially genetically . Considering time & money invested = WOW! Nothing constructive to add ...........back to lurking

shaganja

shaganja

Alright, who's gonna do it? Put the NOVARINE and the VARIN G together! If I wasn't using landraces for my project, I would for sure run these two together!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

There are also many growers here who grow from feminized seeds without issue.

I will say, when you think about the stress testing credible growers do for feminized pollen donors..it is a very firm selective pressure that for regs is not there in the same way and so that pressure can go elsewhere.

For instance, rasta Jeff talks about spiking the pH in plants, exposing them to half a week of a light schedule change mid flower, very aggressive training and defoliation, drought, etc.

Sure, a plant that won't throw nanners at any of that will accept a lot of abuse and still produce sinsemilla, but as a gardener i don't necessarily personally want to select for "can be grown by many flavors of imbecile." Plant only needs to put up with one. So i might select a different plant for my own needs.

most of what I have grown has been fem. The thc victory only comes fem. I’ll bet I have grown 100 fem plants and never a hermie.

I think any argument for or against any fem seed is a generalization. Use the best tool for your job and adapt.

shaganja

shaganja

Alright, who's gonna do it? Put the NOVARINE and the VARIN G together! If I wasn't using landraces for my project, I would for sure run these two together!
And then put the thcvictory on it!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
most of what I have grown has been fem. The thc victory only comes fem. I’ll bet I have grown 100 fem plants and never a hermie.

I think any argument for or against any fem seed is a generalization. Use the best tool for your job and adapt.
Yeah. Again, i think people can do fine. I am running fems right now.

But that would be, i imagine, an argument against them that actually holds water (as opposed to hermie issues, which are much more strain specific than fem or not fem imo).

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I quite literally just harvested my first ever seed. I was putting away last weekend's harvest moving it from dry to cure, and found 1 seed on a Fem Blue Cheese. I did abuse that plant tho, but only at the end. I don't think my environmental gymnastics did it.

Makes me wonder just how many seeds I have not noticed. Could have been lots the way I process in qty thru the RotoVap. They would never get detected.

Maybe I should start a game with my flower users - bring me back a seed and I'll reward you.

Meh, pretty soon it won't matter because I'll be making seeds on purpose. That is bound to spill over to other plants Fem or not.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Bwaahahahaaaaaaa

IMG 2355

Coupla valves and fittings and I'm in bidnezz. Using the same chiller and vacuum pump as the RotoVap to save money. I certainly don't need to run them at the same time.

MrToad

MrToad

Hey MR

I was just looking at the setup...
How is the temp in the vapor path measured?

Top Bottom