Hobbit Hole

• Thread starter The Jewels
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Jewels

The Jewels

Our doorway for the basement access tucks under the second story stairwell . The opening is only about 5 ft tall , and for as long as we have lived here, we have lovingly referred it to it as "The Hobbit Hole" .

My wife is licenced for 20 plants, and last fall we started getting busy down there.
,,,and we built this
Hobbit hole

It does not appear much , but , that photo illustrates the successful manipulation of the environment . I had carved out a space that could provide heat, light and humidity for our endeavour .
The basement location has a concrete floor. I keep a porcelain cup full of water on the bare floor, today it was 8 degrees Celsius. The ambient air in the room is fairly consistent day and night at 13 Celsius .
For the garden space , I shrouded in a nook that has drywall on three sides. I cordoned off a bubble of plastic film lining the walls and opening. I then installed an additional layer, this time using blue house wrap, seen in all the photos . I have never seen anyone else use it , although, it was free and I had a whole roll of it . I figured if it could keep moisture out of a house, it could keep moisture in a grow room.
The blue material comprises one entire wall and also the pedestrian opening . The final dimensions of the room are just short of 6 feet wide and I ran it about 12 ft long . I ended up closing in a flower room at the far end. I may have goofed up the ratio somewhat. The flower room as it sits right now is the full five and a half feet wide , but I only took four and a half feet depth.
Hobbit hole 2

I perhaps should have gone for more depth.
Dunno
We will see .

Something I should admit @ this point - to anyone interested, is I am shooting for a zero buget build.
I have kept ponds and aquariums for years now , and I own just about every tool I know how to use. I seem to have everything I need it on hand to get this project rolling .
And while I am in the confessional, I will also mention that the grow that I am documenting is already in progress- I have the plants in flower at the moment.
I considered jumping in from today but, I felt introductions were in order, as I have been lurking on this site for some time and I wanted to post up my adventure ,so anyone smarter than me can avoid all of the stupid things that I have done over the last few months.
I have been keeping a consistent photo log of these plants growth and development .
So we start at the beginning .
Hobbit hole 3

This is a jar,,,notice there is no weed in it.
That is the beginning and the end right there, my friend.
I want this jar to be full of weed so I decided I was going to have to do something about that .
On our first crack everything went along swimmingly . Seedling came up, went hard , vegged for a bit, and was totally a dude.
Hobbit hole 4

That was fun.
Hobbit hole 5

Had another go at it .Planted two this time .
Still no luck ..Alls balls .
Hobbit hole 7

I am getting pissy now . They were some fine plants .I tell myself that it is a learning experience and indeed I was starting to get some confidence - I am battling to provide a comfy environment for these things despite the harsh surrounding conditions. I know I can keep them alive now ---I just need some pink !
They were nice enough, just no good to me .
Hobbit hole 6

Winter was setting in. Things were getting chilly .
I know these boys got to go, so I decide to f*** with them a little bit. How
would you like to spend the night without a heater ?
Hobbit hole 8

Hobbit hole 9

That was 13 C.
Bastards looked fine the day .
So I cut them down
Hobbit hole 10

It was looking like a sad Christmas.
Dont despair,,,
Hobbit hole 11

Santa brought me these Angels.

Hobbit hole 12
Last edited:
The Jewels

The Jewels

Dec 30th
20181230 022624 HDR
Happy new Year !
Late to the party.
Certainly Welcome
20181231 005410

20181231 005452 HDR

Jan 2nd

Last edited:
The Jewels

The Jewels

So I started adding the liquid nutes,,,
7 days later -
'Member those little guys narrower than the buckect ?
Here they are
20190122 223807
20190122 223804

lil wider now
,,,and taller

20190122 223741

Ask jebus - for real .
I dont know how that happened.
I do know- I only own two white buckects
They ARE the same plants as previous post.
I am new at this; although, I thought only bad things happen that fast .

The Jewels

The Jewels

Yeah, the bank called - said I had waaay too much money,,, gonna start buying some useless shit .

There is a tab atop the grow dairies page, if you click it - free of charge- you too, can have your very own journal .
Take lots of photo's , post it up . Plenty of kind, wise , patient and experienced growers found here. It is a great way to communicate, and tune your game.

So today was a pretty big deal for this guy .
Finally, after more than three months of vigilant husbandry - she shows !!
I get a little excited snap some photo's,,, and join this forum .

I heard someone on the farm quote Ninja, and threaten to go "full retard" if they could jar up 7 Z'ds.
I sprout two white pubes - and I feel I've hit the lotto ! Berserker! Im'a going to Disneyland!
20190124 203624

The Jewels

The Jewels

So now that I feel I am 'in the game'
I again reflect upon the jar,,
The jar is hard to fill; it takes time, it takes luck, experience, diligence, patience, and unfortunately-lots of other stuff I dont have .
One thing for certain, no matter how fast I can fill that jar, the old ladies hand will be in their more often than mine.
Can I fill it faster than it can be emptied ?
I am not sure if I can grow thru JunJulAug; too hot?
I am doin the math in my head and counting the veg and fluer time between now and the heat of summer .
Common held anxiety?
I need contingencies, I need volume.

Time to pot up, evacuate the 4 X T5HO nursery, and get all four under "the big light"
I ask the household bean counter for another round of seed, and I set upon a marathon of reading; I need a crash cloning course.
27 days from heads up .
20190127 013800

Reactions: Ina
The Jewels

The Jewels

"So, did you plant those seeds" ?
I am about to have a conversation with my wife, and already, I do not like the way it is going
"What seeds"? I replied to the ( now ) wide-eyed woman I love .

Honestly, I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or eat them; they looked delicious.
20190117 235525

20190117 235534

20190117 235554

If I was a quitter I wouldn't be smok'n the herb, now would I ?
To quote Mickey Knox in Natural born Killers
"I say go for it"
20190117 235720

Madbud

Madbud

Yeah, the bank called - said I had waaay too much money,,, gonna start buying some useless shit .

There is a tab atop the grow dairies page, if you click it - free of charge- you too, can have your very own journal .
Take lots of photo's , post it up . Plenty of kind, wise , patient and experienced growers found here. It is a great way to communicate, and tune your game.

So today was a pretty big deal for this guy .
Finally, after more than three months of vigilant husbandry - she shows !!
I get a little excited snap some photo's,,, and join this forum .

I heard someone on the farm quote Ninja, and threaten to go "full retard" if they could jar up 7 Z'ds.
I sprout two white pubes - and I feel I've hit the lotto ! Berserker! Im'a going to Disneyland!
View attachment 859073
Congratulations, its a girl. Yeah i did a semi diary last year, Ghetto Grow. Lots of mistakes, mostly impatience lol

The Jewels

The Jewels

Two in the dirt, two in the squirt.

Six days later .
20190123 215110

Two weeks after the sprouting incident.
20190130 235838

Had some free space on veg table. Brought the snap peas under the hood.
The leggy dirts are exhiled over on the right of the photo
20190124 213026

The Jewels

The Jewels

Enough of the kiddie stuff, this is about the big fish.

Trouble in the new flower room.

I didnt have a solid floorplan when I banged up the room.
I had been lurking for months, and the only insight I had for was the need for infrastructure, and elbow room.

Decades of aquarium disasters, and having raised children has taught me one absolute fact
- One day it will all hit the fan .
Someone will trip on it, someone will put all their weight on it.
The biggest security issue around here is protecting my family from my medlings .
Will it get hot enough to cause a fire?,,
Is it leaking one drop? Failure is hidden behind every corner, one day I will bend over, bump my behind into it, and when it hits the floor it will be broken.
I am my own worst enemy.

To prepare the growspace, I went as wide as space would allow, at about 5 and half foot ..I ran the lengthy to about 10? 11 feet.
I hate working in tight spaces.
I was too inexperienced to invision the whole operation before hand, so the flower room was kinda thrown up on demand .
I felt like I brought the baby home from the hospital, and then realized I didn't have a crib.

"Hey Jewels?
Did you just build a door out of a futon bench"

Yup
I told you I was on a zero budget
I am $ 99 in and $ 4.95 gst goes to our glorious Federal gov. I will gladly pay your tax .

Kiss my a$ $ - Im'a grow'n weeeeed!
20190109 195047

20190109 195143

20190109 195257

Top Bottom