Hollow Branches!! Please Look, Comment!!

• Thread starter Sunshinegrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PharmHand

It's a bacterial infection that rots the pith.
Bet the hollow stems = "earthy" pot, what else could it be.
Are you really that cynical or just looking for a reaction? Every post you make is just so negative what’s your deal bud?

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Really curious what the hell is goin on in Cannabis growing these days. So curious I had to Google to find out why people are growing hollow weed.

"The simple answer why this hollow stem syndrome is happening if from “ non available broad spectrum nutrition” and overdose from salts and chemicals in 98%of today's hydroponics nutes and additives commonly used by the industry. One indicator is low to slow boron availability which lets you know boron is locked out. Mostly the plant is reeling against this overdose of salts and harsh chemicals and literally shutting out what it truly requires for essential protection properties liken to micro and macro nutrient essentials. Salt (Na) first block the micro essential pathways cutting out calcium first and then chlorides shut out phosphate also effecting all other elements harmonies and uptake of influence. Boron is an element that is precious in plantsap and also effects the BRIXX production in cannabis or fruits. Boron deficiency is examined in agriculture by the plant stems internal development. When there is lack in accessible boron and essential nutrients, the pith does not totally fill into the center of the xylem or in basic the stems center."

Hey what do you know, another issue I'm oblivious to because I don't use bullshit chems to grow reggie..

S

Shawnery

Not that its untrue but the above by torn is copied from a site attempting to sell things to fix this problem. Not saying it is untrue but that this information would be better accepted if back up by unbiased information.

S

Shawnery

I'm very interested why some are hollow and others aren't. It would be interesting to start a thread that questions if you've had hollow stems, grown in dirt hydro or coco and whether or not you used organic or salt based nutrients.

This micro and macro nutrient point of view does make sense when you consider what compost tea is sometimes used for, supplying over 90 nutrients while I think salt based only supply something like 17.

I'm attempting to use compost tea in hydro this time so if they make it to harvest it will be interesting but not evidence if my stems are no longer hollow

S

Shawnery

Interesting read from a rose plant forum that suggests that calcium deficiency is often the number one contributing factor to hollow stems. Not sure if the same mode of thinking applies to cannabis but considering the increased importance of calcium in it I could see a connection. My last grow I'm sure I had large calcium deficiencies due to stem color and I had hollow stems.

HERE'S THE ARTICLE!

Each essential element plays a vital role in plant health and development. Most indoor horticulturists come to understand N-P-K and how its value can affect their gardens, but many may not fully comprehend the roles played by the other essential elements.

This is because nutrient manufacturers have made great strides in developing user-friendly products that work well. Growers of high-value plants, along with other gardeners, have become complacent in some ways because of the general effectiveness of the fertilizers on the market today.

It’s true that a basic understanding of N-P-K combined with modern hydroponic nutrients is really all a grower needs to produce adequate results. However, growers looking to grow large quantities of an extraordinary product need a heightened knowledge of all the essential elements.

quote5_25_start.png
Calcium also acts as a secondary messenger that helps to regulate cellular functions and assists in general plant functions, like nutrient uptake.
quote5_25_end.png

Calcium (Ca) is one essential element that deserves as much attention as N-P-K. Growers of high-value plants who understand the crucial role calcium plays in their gardens will consistently produce larger, healthier crops.

One of the biggest reasons growers of high-value plants need to understand calcium is that most of the hydroponic fertilizers do not contain sufficient amounts of calcium. This is because the manufacturers are assuming that the grower’s water source contains some calcium already. This should be a red flag for any indoor horticulturist because all water sources are different. Each will contain different elements in different amounts, including calcium. This can cause big problems for the unsuspecting grower.

Calcium’s Role in Plants

Much of a plant’s structural integrity is influenced by calcium. Calcium is vital for vigorous growth and overall structural development.

When calcium levels are too low, a plant’s cell membrane can become weak; this causes leakage that results in the loss of cellular compounds. Sufficient calcium levels are required for cell wall development and cellular division. Strong stems and branches are a result of proper calcium levels. Many varieties of high-value plants will develop hollow stems when the calcium levels are insufficient. A gentle squeeze of a lower branch can help growers identify hollow stems before it’s too late.

Calcium also acts as a secondary messenger that helps to regulate cellular functions and assists in general plant functions, like nutrient uptake.

Calcium stimulates the protein channels within a plant’s rhizosphere. These channels aid in nutrient uptake. If there is not enough calcium present, this process will not function properly and nutrient uptake will be slowed down.

In this way, calcium works very similarly to the hormones that regulate various cell functions. Although it is uncertain, calcium is thought to help the development of proteins that make it possible for a plant to tolerate stress caused by excess heat. The stomatal function of a plant’s leaves are improved with sufficient calcium levels. This also directly impacts a plant’s ability to mitigate stress.

A grower whose water source has little calcium or a grower who is using reverse osmosis (RO) water where the calcium is removed needs to supplement calcium into the nutrient regiment. Remember that the calcium contained within the base formula is usually not enough, so a specific calcium supplement should be used.

By ensuring an adequate amount of calcium in their nutrient formulas growers of high-value plants can rest easy knowing that their plant’s structural integrity and vitality are in check.

Fast growing annual plants are most affected by calcium levels. Plants that are provided with the proper essential elements, including calcium, will grow vigorously as they create the structural foundation necessary to support enormous blooms.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I am sure I read that calcium deficiency is the cause in weed grow books too.

And I think grow weed easy says it in their calcium blog.

Sorry too stoned from my calcium deficient plants to look for the quotes right now. Lol.

JediBudTrix

JediBudTrix

The reason moisture doesn't look like it runs from the stem is cause of something called surface tension. look it up. Also the amount of fluid in those tiny tunnels running through the stems is absolutely minuscule. It would be hard to notice it if any did run out.

Cannabis grown with full spectrum LEDs tend to form larger diameter holes then HPS. Im sure nutrients and genetics determine the size of the holes as well.

If its not nutrients and H2O then what is it? 🤔

G

G Strain

My small budding plant just got harvested today. Budded early because I planted in winter... mostly hollow stem.
20190902 105529

20190902 105547
W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

Hollow stems are good and as someone before me mentioned i have never seen any strain with solid stem.

Its solid onli about 2-3 inches above to soil/medium normali where you cut it down.

Me and my friend even had fun because we knew the stems and brenches are hollow. We made one-hitters from the branches. And if you have a large sativa we even made straws for drinking because only sativas have long enaugh stems with no side branching

I wish you all a happy grow

Migrower

Migrower

the reason you are having a heavy yield is because of the hollow branches o.k. here it goes the water and nutrients are carried up the stem from the medium the more hollow they are the more food and water gets to the tips of plants also outdoor plants seem to not be as hollow as indoor that could also be why indoor plants are more thc laden and also you will notice that the more air movement in a grow room the less hollow the stems and thats do to plant cellulose strengthening the stem so it can hold the weight of the buds it is producing
This is false and true. Nutrients are moved up and down the plant via the phloem and xylem. The sucrose is taken from the leaves by the process of translocation and moved throughout the plant(root tips,stem tips, fruits, repairing tissue) via the xylem. These two plant structures are the main components of translocation . So in laments the energy garnered from the sun,photosynthesis’d into sucrose(sugars) in leaves are moved by the phloem to the xylem then delivered to the plants organs(roots,fruit ext.) as needed.

Migrower

Migrower

Now on the hollow stems I cannot give an opinion. I’m still new to growing cannabis. But many plants can remain healthy with hollow parts.

S

Skywalker3Og

What kinda lil tiny white pest “I tend to find in wet soil “ and eats roots and damages plants? I’m in southeast us.. I’ve seen them 3 years straight. They’re too small and fast to take a picture of so I can identity.. They always try to hide when digging thru soil. Had a couple last year that got destroyed by them little thanks, I always associated my hollow/weak branches/stems with them?

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
What kinda lil tiny white pest “I tend to find in wet soil “ and eats roots and damages plants? I’m in southeast us.. I’ve seen them 3 years straight. They’re too small and fast to take a picture of so I can identity.. They always try to hide when digging thru soil. Had a couple last year that got destroyed by them little thanks, I always associated my hollow/weak branches/stems with them?
Probally spring tails, and they are no big deal.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thinking about this.

Seems the lusher and healthier the plant i harvest the less hollow the stem if at all.

Faded and yellowed plants seem to have been hollow more often.

boo.boo.buds

boo.boo.buds

Just topped my gals 10 minutes ago. White Widow and Mango Kush.

The widow is hollow and has purple stems. Note the purple stems. However, it iss growing MUCH faster than the Mango Kush, but is a little thinner looking and has lighter coloured leaves. Growing faster in that it's taller, and is at the 7th node where the Mango is only at 6th node.

The Mango is full (not hollow) and has beautiful green stems. No purple stems whatsoever. Growing slower, and a little shorter than the White Widow, but generally looks healthier, fuller, and has a deeper shade of green.

What do you folks make of that?

Mango Kush
IMG 20200219 182347

White Widow
IMG 20200219 182354

Brwnthmsdfce

Brwnthmsdfce

Just topped my gals 10 minutes ago. White Widow and Mango Kush.

The widow is hollow and has purple stems. Note the purple stems. However, it iss growing MUCH faster than the Mango Kush, but is a little thinner looking and has lighter coloured leaves. Growing faster in that it's taller, and is at the 7th node where the Mango is only at 6th node.

The Mango is full (not hollow) and has beautiful green stems. No purple stems whatsoever. Growing slower, and a little shorter than the White Widow, but generally looks healthier, fuller, and has a deeper shade of green.

What do you folks make of that?

Mango Kush
View attachment 942907

White Widow
View attachment 942908
Looks normal to me,

Latest posts

Top Bottom