Hollow Branches!! Please Look, Comment!!

• Thread starter Sunshinegrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
ALL my plants grown under H&G have had hollow stems...when i grew with AD not hollow maybe a little but not big same flush time and everything.

M

mcattak

hollow stems is actually from calcium deficences...and if your getting big yeilds now imagine if they had the cal they needed :icon_dizzy:

I think I have actually heard this before...You have more info...

M

MASSES 420KING

Hollow stems have absolutely nothing to do with transporting water/nutrients to the buds. Have you ever cut down a plant with hollow stems and had water run out? Water is transported from the roots to the rest of the plant via cellular osmosis (that means water molecules are handed from cell to cell from the roots all the way up the plant).

The most likely explanation for hollow stems is that they are easier to grow than solid stems (less energy and resources required from the plant). In a natural selection situation, easier means faster, and faster growing plants have the advantage as they tend to choke out the slower growing specimens.

:icon_stick man:the reason water doesnt come running out is because its not a faucet the hollow stems help with the capillary action the inner stem material is made up of very soft and mushy plant cells that absorb the nutes/water anyone who takes clones can vouch for that and i totally stand by my statement as i type this im trying to find the source that i read that from and will post for all to read:party0033:

M

MASSES 420KING

also the reason why stems get thicker and less hollow is due to cellulose build up the more movement the plant receives the more cellulose builds up to protect the plant buy sturdying the stalk and stems up plain and simple and 100% correct that shits in every weed grow book written thats why heavy bud laden indoor plants tend to need to be staked cause the cellulose hasnt needed to build up as much

H

haze89

I think I'm with Mass on this one. I've noticed the hollow and non hollow stems but the quality of my buds were always great so I concluded it wasn't anything to worry about. It's interesting to see this discussed though.

jammie

jammie

also the reason why stems get thicker and less hollow is due to cellulose build up the more movement the plant receives the more cellulose builds up to protect the plant buy sturdying the stalk and stems up plain and simple and 100% correct that shits in every weed grow book written thats why heavy bud laden indoor plants tend to need to be staked cause the cellulose hasnt needed to build up as much

spot on!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
That just means your plants are incredibly healthy.

7rayos

Ok, this cellulose build up because of strengthening the stem explains why. But still dunno how can you get hollow stems.
Is it a question of not dancing the plant, or protect it outdoors from strong winds so it doesn't need a sturdier stem? Can it only be approached with instinct or long experience? Otherwise, how do you know is hollow before you actually chop it?
And if you find a plant with hollow stem and you put a clone under different conditions, such growing outdoors in wintry conditions and having to move them often, will still be hollow?
Other way to put it, is it genetic or circumstantial? Or both?

M

MASSES 420KING

okay the more your plant moves the more cellulose build up there is once the plant gets out of seedling and maybe halfway through veg youll notice how the stems and stalk are circular well its hollow thats just how it grows outdoor plants have very little if any hollow roots because its constantley gettin beatup now indoors you use an oscillating fan and your leaves lightly flutter in the breaze the fan makes very little cellulose build up shit thats why they make plant yo yos and stakes

7rayos

Thanks, Mass420, that's something else learned today. Now, i've just chopped two plants of the same variety, still drying, both indoors under the same conditions, both similar pheno, the one with hollow stem (and also cellulose) was a bigger yielder and i've already chose it as a keeper, but that's an added reason.

25abril 010
M

MASSES 420KING

absolutley the sturdier the stem the more weight it can hold[ie outdoor plants can pump 2-3 even 4 elbows a plant] but indoor you mite pull that for all your plants the cellulose build up all boils down to enviormental factors are fans blowing directly on plants or are they moving air around them or indoors or out

S

strawD

I find that the quicker a plant grows the better chances are that it is hollow.

bam- thats it. Someone said it can happen in dirt and water, and it can, but IME its way more likely in water, even with the same strain side by side. i'm also not near as good at growing dirt, so my plants dont grow as fast. if the stems grow slow and have close nodes, they'll be stury and more woody. if they have wind or fans, this also strenghtens them and thickens the wals of the stems, and shortens the nodes. if you have hight humidity, and co2, and high temps then they grow super fast and shoot up and stretch and these fast soft tissue stems are often hollow, esp if they get bigger and thicker without hardening. this happens on especially vigorously growing herb more than slow herb.

P

phillygrower

very cool tread, i also assumed this is normal because most of my bigger stems and branches are hollow like that. I was always under the assumption that water traveled in the hollow area...

R

RMCG

Strength to weight ratio is better for a hollow pipe than a solid rod.

It's physics.

Look at bones. Birds bones are very hollow to allow flight, yet still strong.

Those plants that have heavier buds put there growth there, while only slightly limiting (-10%) the strength of the branches and stems. We farmers have been selecting them (for the larger bud trait) and that trait(hollow stems) is becoming more dominant.

Mud Man

Mud Man

tagged !! super friggin interesting thread..
i will read through properly

All my best runs have had Hollow Stems!!

My friend keept a fan on his girls from when they are tiny babies and the stems where full of white
and super thick, with low yield!!! so motion must affect as i have no major fan on during T5 veg???

:nerd hmmmmm.

I

iahsound

yep totally normal if you got good nuitrient uptake in the plant and from what i understand
if the stems are not hollow that means there was some nutrient blockage. the thing that sucks is you could have blockage going on and would'nt even see any sighns of it on your plant till you harvested and looked at your stems,but with that in mind you now have the oppertunity to lower your ppm of nutrient mix a little for the next round provideing you are stiking with the same strain. i have always kept fans blowing on the gals it makes for stronger plants and it has never effected the hollowness in there stems.

M

meercat.com

ive noticed in warmer weather my fans r on higher settings to spread the extra heat and the girls get blown about more! this makes my stems thicker than in winter would not ave noticed this tho but for this thread good read thanks!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom