Homemade Male Isolation Chamber

• Thread starter Og Gong
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Hello, just wanted to see if anybody built any male isolation chambers? I know a few did this to be able to grow your male in your flower room with the females and be able to control pollination. I built one off brother "Jaws" gift wrapping paper container concept. My space is very limited so this was my best alternative. This leads to my next rookie breeder question. Is it best to separate all males when growing them out? Example: I have 3 males of the same genetics 2 look similar and the 3rd is different. Is it best to try and grow them out in complete isolation of each other? Or is it ok to put the 2 similar males together? fyi this is my first breeding project. Homemade male isolation chamber
Homemade male isolation chamber

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

if that's your male isolation chamber in the pics in the clear Rubbermaid tubs with the exhaust fan on top...... do you have a HEPA filter before the fan? if not your isolation chamber is utterly useless. pollen will get sucked up thru the exhaust fan and spread to your girls in the main room.

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

I'd say they're fine until they start showing sacks. It'd probably be better to keep them separate when they drop pollen so that you know what pollen came from which male and to avoid confusion about co-mingling pollen. Also for reference purposes later when you're trying to determine which male was your best breeding partner. Are you going to pollinate those females next to your male chamber? If so it looks like it'll be sorta late on the pollination window but it should still work.

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

I've always just kept em in a closet away from other plants and laid thin cardboard at the top of the pot by the main stem. When they start dropping I grab a small container and tap pollen into it from the opened flowers and collect what I can from what fell on the cardboard. Make sure to change your clothes after handling flowering males and maybe even shower to ensure your clean of pollen. When the male is spent I spray it and everything in the room with water to immobilize rogue pollen. I'm sure there are better practices but it works fine for me.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I've always just kept em in a closet away from other plants and laid thin cardboard at the top of the pot by the main stem. When they start dropping I grab a small container and tap pollen into it from the opened flowers and collect what I can from what fell on the cardboard. Make sure to change your clothes after handling flowering males and maybe even shower to ensure your clean of pollen. When the male is spent I spray it and everything in the room with water to immobilize rogue pollen. I'm sure there are better practices but it works fine for me.
Awesome thank you very kindly. Do you have to dry the pollen out before you store it? I know there is a window of viability. When do you pollinate the females?

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

Yes, to store the pollen dry it in a cool, dry, dark place for a couple days then pack it up and store it in the fridge. Pollenate the females around wk 3 maybe a tad bit later(for 9wk plants) when the pistils start to show up in big bunches with the not yet swollen calyxes. It should take about 4wks for seeds to mature

straincreation

straincreation

Bozo posted one of these up A few years ago he took his guys all the way then collected the pollen worked like a charm. I have yet to build my own, which i wish since i open pollenated half my room on accident last run.

Lookin good though should do some work.
happy farmin;)

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Bozo posted one of these up A few years ago he took his guys all the way then collected the pollen worked like a charm. I have yet to build my own, which i wish since i open pollenated half my room on accident last run.

Lookin good though should do some work.
happy farmin;)
I knew a few did this and it is a great idea if you have not got the space like me. I may have to hit up Bozo for a few pointers thanks bro.

lollipopman

lollipopman

I'm going tomorrow to buy another tub to stack mine.

Top Bottom