Honey Oil

• Thread starter HoneyMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Josey_Wales

Hey HM,
So...I've made honey oil twice now, using Hexane and coffee filters and it comes out black. How do you get yours to come out Amber like it does..? Is it the solvent you use, the product you start with or some other thing that keeps yours amber colored..? I used dry bud and sugar leaf, with a 90 day cure, ground in a coffee bean grinder. I then dissolved the trichs in the hexane over low heat for three minutes. I poured off the liquid, repeated the process to get the rest of the trichs. I then filtered all of the solvent solution through a coffee filter before boiling off the Hexane. (basically, I'm using Rick Simpsons method)
The oil looks amber when it's spread thin, but when it's poured into a vial it is black. It tastes like a bitter sweet, nutty oil. It smokes or vapes very nicely. It's sweet and tastey when vaped.
Am I missing a process or doing something wrong..? I want my oil nice and amber looking, but I can't seem to get there. I get approx. 1/2 ounce of oil from 1/4 lb of bud/sugar leaf starting product.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. I'm about ready to grind up 1/2 lb of DJ Short Blueberry to make my next batch...it would be great if it came out yellowish/amber in color.

Thanks,
Krist

thanks for the props. people think my stuff looks good, and that they make it well too, but when they try mine i hear oh man, its so tasty, mine is never that good. they say they still need practice.

lol. and it doesnt go to my head either. :D

F

FastForward

Hey JW. I just made HHO for the first time using a cold extraction method, and mine also came out really nicely golden but looks very dark when in the pot. Apart from not heating the hexane, I didn't pour out any liquid. I also left mine for 48 hours to dissolve in the hexane before filtering. I started out with 2oz ground bud and got 4.3g HHO (maybe a bit more, there's still some in the tray!). Link to the photos is here.

From all I've read up on hexane/butane/solvent extractions, it's much more THC selective than alcohol extractions so you can leave the green in there for longer (cold) to make sure you get maximum THC extraction. With warming you should get even more out. Hope this helps.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
i am gonna ask the admin here if they dont mind i post up a butane extraction tutorial here soon. :)

T

thc4sim

Get it on here HMK!!!!

any diff ways members can refine there methods has gotta be a good thing!!
niceOne!

O

ojd

logic already said to do a thread

get on it hmk

we all want to know your method

X

xxYIKESxx

post that tutorial up man! All my extractions comes out dark amber and I really want more of that honey golden color.....so, please post when you have the time

F

FastForward

I can't imagine why they'd mind.... please do share....I'm knee deep in extractions and could really use a tutorial from an oil jedi :)

J

Josey_Wales

Thanks FF,

Yea...mine looks just about the same as yours, amber yellow when in a thin sheet, but kinda dark when you vial it up. I'm curious. Have you tried to dissolve the HHO in Glycerin yet..? How did that go..?

Thanks everyone...and by all means, HM..please post the blow by blow..! I'm dying to get good at this..!

Krist

F

FastForward

Not yet JW....have just purged the small pot in boiling water but it still needs more purging under constantly boiling water. Am smoking some of the HHO that was on the evap tray right now - had to use iso to get it off and then evap that - but it's lovely....delicious in fact. Loving the R1 bowl to smoke it in too. Will try some HHO with glycerine after I've got the hang of the tinctures...just don't want to waste any precious hex or HHO. Any day soon I'm going to refine that killer TW bubble using the hex though, and maybe I'll make tinc from that (jeez, can you imagine? those would be some trippy drops)

H

Hemphrey Bogart

Hemphrey's cardinal rules when making bho:

1. Do it outside in a well ventilated area, far away from open flames/electrical outlets/friends blazing joints and trying to watch.

2. Use a medium/large pyrex dish, preferably round.

3. Use a stainless or lab quality glass extractor tube, if possible.

4. Use good butane (Colibri or Lava or my personal favorite, Vector).

5. See Rule #1.

HMK is gonna probably post some much better pics/advice when he gets around to it, but here's what I did last year with about about 12 grams of Cherry Bomb and two large bottles of vector.

Bhonov
Bhonov2
H

Hemphrey Bogart

Is budder really "whipped up" honey oil, or is there another secret to making it?

B

budmonger

Yes Budder,aka Hippy Crack is whipped BHO oil but i use 5x refined butane and hand whipped for a few hours,be well.Peace and stay safe...budmonger

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
but why? bored or something? after a few years of smoking pastes aka budder, and pure hard oil types of butane extracts my opinion is the hard clearlike oils are tastier to consume, as well as more durable. budder loses terpenes rather quickly.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
i thinks its best to ask when posting possibly dangerous activities a board master may not approve of.

ok here i go!

:party0044:

Latest posts

Top Bottom