Hope This Is The Right Place For This

• Thread starter Johnfs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Im with @DemonTrich in his philosphy. Plants are governed by genetic code for everything about them. The way they look, number of leaves, growth stature or form, number of leaves, color of leaves, level of trichome production, level of thc and chemical components. In essence dna coding supplies everything that individual plant needs to grow to its full genetic potential. Secondary is grower environmental parameters and skill levels.

I always chuckle when we humans act and talk like we now better than Mother Nature and come up with various ways to outdo or out think her. The plant as it grows is perfect in every way based on its genetic script. There is a reason plant A has 35,50, or whatever fan leaves and a reason why buds are "Shaded" by big fans.

Flowers are not part of the overall photosynthetic engine.

I can't agree with all of this as environment is number one and will determine things like how many leaves grow how big your flowers get and how close to potential it can grow.

For inside growing anyway. Not too much you can do about an outdoor Grow.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I can't agree with all of this as environment is number one and will determine things like how many leaves grow how big your flowers get and how close to potential it can grow.

For inside growing anyway. Not too much you can do about an outdoor Grow.
Genetic material content is #1, environment is secondary. You need solid genetic material to start and dialing enviros is second. You can have the most state of the art multi million dollar facility and come up empty handed without solid genetics to grow in said perfect environment. Just my opinion and we all got em :D

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

im still up in the air about this too... Maybe it works for some strains a lot better than others... To me, i lollipop, and sometimes i remove some big fans... But I let 1 plant go with out any defol, except lollipop... It has the biggest buds, but, where some smaller colas were covered by a fan, they are smaller, but yet bigger than the popcorn on the defol plants... just my observations...
In the future, i will lollipop only, as i believe more in using the big fans for energy....

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

defoilating is a tricky subject and both sides bring up good points that make alot of sense, but i'm more on the side of don't defoilate especially in flower. Even when your fan leaves are turning necrotic and yellow you want to keep them for abit because the leaf itself knows that it's dying and it starts breaking down chloryphyll stored in the leaf and sending the energy to budsites close by. basically when the leaf is starting to die it gives a last ditch effort to give everything that's healthy around it a boost.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

defoilating is a tricky subject and both sides bring up good points that make alot of sense, but i'm more on the side of don't defoilate especially in flower. Even when your fan leaves are turning necrotic and yellow you want to keep them for abit because the leaf itself knows that it's dying and it starts breaking down chloryphyll stored in the leaf and sending the energy to budsites close by. basically when the leaf is starting to die it gives a last ditch effort to give everything that's healthy around it a boost.
You got a link to a study showing that or is that just weedology?

dannyk892009

dannyk892009

How about this, before flipping to flower I'll take a couple plants and defoliate. The remainder will be left as is. I will report back with pictures and details on each plant. Cool?

LeeMcGee

LeeMcGee

I defoliate throughout. If the leaves are inward blocking light, if they are hanging down into the dirt below. I do some more in flower for the same reasons but also if they get brittle or damaged. I know some stress can help it and removing too many can add a lil extra time to flower. I like to remove some of them near the very end to make trimming easier, but of course you need some to help with the drieing. You can see in this Sour Bubble Diesel quite a few leaves are gone and the buds are pretty decent size.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I defoliate throughout. If the leaves are inward blocking light, if they are hanging down into the dirt below. I do some more in flower for the same reasons but also if they get brittle or damaged. I know some stress can help it and removing too many can add a lil extra time to flower. I like to remove some of them near the very end to make trimming easier, but of course you need some to help with the drieing. You can see in this Sour Bubble Diesel quite a few leaves are gone and the buds are pretty decent size.
Holy shit thats the biggest pumpkin plant I ever seen! Good job mate!

LeeMcGee

LeeMcGee

Holy shit thats the biggest pumpkin plant I ever seen! Good job mate!
Thanks EventHorizan! Kind of makes you wonder about the whole don't remove any leaves theory. This strain was the stinkiest cross of citrus and skunk anyone ever smelled. A friend of mine got stopped by the police for the smell. It's legal here and the cop was over 100 yards away from him when drove past the cop with his window down. The cop swore he must have pounds on him so he searched the vehicle. The cop and my friend were laughing in the end. My friend had nothing on him, the smell lingered on his hands and clothes so the cop told him, Holy Shit thats the stinkiest weed ever. My friend said I'll be sure and tell the grower you said that, and that you smelled it from over 100 yards away. I think that main nug was around 19 grams in the end.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Eventhorizan ,
Sorry i'm having troubles finding the link to where I read it if I find it I will deffinatly post it but to me it made sense. On one hand I deffinatly see the benefits of defoilation considering other than lst you wouldn't be able to get multiple tops without getting out the scissors but on the otherhand mother nature has been doing its thing for thousands of years and i'm assuming if the plant knows one sunleaf is going to shit the bed to send energy somehwere else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom