hot box

• Thread starter digdugdank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
This thing gets so hot without insulation. I broke out the plasma cutter and blasted a nice hole in the side of the box. The windowbanger is temporary until next summer when i upgrade to a mini split. Im using 2x6 studs and r-19 fiberglass insulation. My final measurements in the flower room will be 7' wide x 8'4" tall x 15' long. The lung/veg room is next with the same measurements. The last 10' or so will be for garage extras, tool shed, storage....etc. This is a lot of work. Ill post pics soon. I don't like this site for pictures it is always a hassle thanks digdug!!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Right on! I am subbed for this!
I hope to make one of those myself someday!

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
so the style of growing i will be doing in this box will be vertical bare bulbs with a single arena style shelf 30" tall by 18" wide that will surround the perimeter of the flower room. i will be growing all my lanky stretchy strains on this shelf. my shorter stocky strains with less stretch will be on the floor in front of the shelf leaving me over a foot down the middle. the walls will have screen material so i can tie my girls back from the light. i grow in 7 gallon fabric pots filled with organic/veganic goodness layered and spiked! my temporary a/c unit will be replaced next spring with a 2 ton minisplit just in time to beat the summer heat. i have a commercial air scrubber that will scrub and move air between the lungroom and flower room. i have co2 and a dehumidifier to add to the system. im thinking about setting up a fan to exchange the air if i need to for some reason. a failsafe! ? otherwise i want to have a pretty much sealed system. i know the window banger is gonna do some air exchange and i might have to do something about that as well.at least til i get my minisplit. thanks for positive vibes, more pictures as i go.thanks digdug!!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I just built out a 40 foot high cube container. Word of advice you will need to spray insulate it because without insulation you will get condensation problems and it will be really tough to cool It in the summer/ heat it during lights out in the winter.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I just built out a 40 foot high cube container. Word of advice you will need to spray insulate it because without insulation you will get condensation problems and it will be really tough to cool It in the summer/ heat it during lights out in the winter.

40 foot high?o_O

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Very cool. Whats the ticket on a shipping container?

Hey Cap.
I think the 40's are about 3500 and the 20's are about 2700 here in Ca.
I have a 40 footer and 20 footer (full of stuff though):rolleyes:

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
I paid $2200 delivered and dropped in my backyard. Im using r-13 fiberglass insulation with a layer of 1 1/2" styrofoamboard insulation. On the outside Im going to use white paint and i might put a corrugated roof over the whole thing to shade it and use the overhang as a carport, patio cover. Im hoping there won't be any condensation build up. If there is ill just have to deal with it then. I do plan on running a dehumidifier how big i don't know yet. These things are easy to find at any port in any condition. More pictures coming soon. Thanks digdug!!

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
its been way too hot to work in this box. its like an oven plus ive been working on other projects that also need to be done. ive got a better idea of what im going to do once this thing is up and running. the more time i have to think about construction and environment the better. ill be working on this thing this week and ill snap some pictures of the process. thanks digdug!!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

The reason I went with spray insulation is that I was afraid that doing it your way would result in moldy boards and foam if condensation becomes a problem. If you are gonna keep it that way I would recommend using some shockwave or other anti fungal paint on those boards at least. Also spray foam takes less time and leaves more space which is the real money saver over time.

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
ok so now the holidays are over and ive gotten back to work on this thing. i got the other half of my air cond. the interior condensor half. my a/c guy says he has to do a little tweaking on the units to get them to pair up so i can keep some nice low 70's temps with the lights on. ive painted the exterior white and that instantly dropped the interior temp. 15 degrees! ive divided the container into 3 rooms. the flower room is 7' x 14' x 8',4" tall and the lung/veg room is 7' x 11' x 8',4" tall. the front part is all garden storage, and repotting area, no garage stuff!! i ran out of room real quick, i guess you can never have enough room! ive built planters for the front of the container and put hibiscis in them, only to have my dogs take them over as their area to hang out!! they are kinda beat up so i have to redesign the planters later.ive included some pictures and ill post more later thanks, digdug!!Cond frontCond rear Specs Painted exterior

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
The reason I went with spray insulation is that I was afraid that doing it your way would result in moldy boards and foam if condensation becomes a problem. If you are gonna keep it that way I would recommend using some shockwave or other anti fungal paint on those boards at least. Also spray foam takes less time and leaves more space which is the real money saver over time.
ive sealed off the room so no moisture can get to the boards or insulation. at first i had problems with the front storage area not being insulated and that area gets very moist. ive sealed this area off with plastic so no moisture gets in. i still need to insulate the front storage area and that should eliminate the condensation that is only happening in this front area. ive painted the interior steel as well as the 2x6 studs with an outdoor primer, just in case!! then i wrapped the whole thing with panda plastic and taped all the edges sealing all moisture in. im still working on the environment and my small a/c is doing it's best to cool both my veg. and getting ready to start lighting up my first vertical flowering in this room.do you get any condensation with your spray foam insulation?

Top Bottom