How can I protect myself against fire, on budget

• Thread starter Jaytown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jaytown

Jaytown

I have recently had a scare when one of my CMH grow lights exploded while I was at work. It caught my grow on fire, the stands and the floor even started burning. Luckily it was one day that my girlfriend randomly stayed home from work. She heard the loud pop and ran upstairs to see everything lit up. She managed to put it out and call me. I know you're probably thinking I used a cheap bulb or some crappy fixture but I think i was just unlucky. I used the Philips bulb (They are now doing an investigation into what happened) I also used the correctly rated C182/O open style fixture bulb to prevent this. But anyways, I still have trust in CMH but I want to take measures to prevent any future accidents and some plans just incase things ever go wrong. My idea so far is to get a Nest Fire Alarm above my grow to Alert me to any smoke. Any other ideas of prevention, grow setup ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

How can i protect myself against fire on budget
How can i protect myself against fire on budget 2
How can i protect myself against fire on budget 3
N

Newber

oh shit! I mean I guess anything could have a defect, but scary. Have two going now, was putting a 630 phantom with two more bulbs next week 😮 @logic

Jaytown

Jaytown

oh shit! I mean I guess anything could have a defect, but scary. Have two going now, was putting a 630 phantom with two more bulbs next week 😮 @logic
Never had an issue with this? Im a relatively new grower, id like to chalk this up to User Error, but im an Electrician and have never seen a Bulb like this explode the way it did...

Dan789

Dan789

I’ve thought about the same thing myself, here’s a plug in temp and humidity WiFi unit. That can send you email alerts...with some noodling, you could get this to trigger a shunt trip breaker that would shut down your power feeding these lights...it’s 0.00 to start your task.

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Humidity-sensor-Buzzer-Alerts/dp/B01AQ0PZFS

Heat-Actuated Switch, 280°F Melting Temperature

Here’s something else to consider...

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Never had an issue with this? Im a relatively new grower, id like to chalk this up to User Error, but im an Electrician and have never seen a Bulb like this explode the way it did...
I was an electrician for 35 years and I never saw that happen either. I've heard about failures from defective glass and they should all be checked thoroughly before installing but I'd contact the manufacturer to complain and get a replacement bulb.

If you get your fingers on the lights and leave oil off your fingers on them I've heard this can have that effect of breaking. Always keep fingers off the light when installing use a paper towel to screw it in. Clean with Windex wipe clean don't touch the glass ever.

Jaytown

Jaytown

I was an electrician for 35 years and I never saw that happen either. I've heard about failures from defective glass and they should all be checked thoroughly before installing but I'd contact the manufacturer to complain and get a replacement bulb.

If you get your fingers on the lights and leave oil off your fingers on them I've heard this can have that effect of breaking. Always keep fingers off the light when installing use a paper towel to screw it in. Clean with Windex wipe clean don't touch the glass ever.
Yeah I've always heard oils on your finger will cause hot spots on the bulbs and cause them to fail particularly halogens and MH's. I used the paper towel method you mentioned. Im thinking it was destined to blow. I did not thoroughly inspect the glass before installing though. Which might have given me a hint if it was in good condition.

Sanderman68

Sanderman68

Yeah I've always heard oils on your finger will cause hot spots on the bulbs and cause them to fail particularly halogens and MH's. I used the paper towel method you mentioned. Im thinking it was destined to blow. I did not thoroughly inspect the glass before installing though. Which might have given me a hint if it was in good condition.
Have you ever touched the bulb with BARE HANDS??? Big time nono!!!!!!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
A
Easy. Grab one or a few of these. I have one in my grow room just in case.

View attachment 967711
Dont bank on those things. We tested a few different ones at the fire dept including that particular model, and they do not work well at all. They only put out some fires in certain instances... like the ones in the promotional videos. Like a box made from pallets or a small dumpster that has a very small fire in it. But we found once the fires were hot enough to detonate the grenades, they were also too hot to be put out by the grenades.

After blowing through about 12 of them in various fire scenarios we werent able to stop one single fire from progressing, even small incipient fires.

They suck. But I suppose they're better than nothing.
Maybe.
It's a shame, I had high Hope's...
20200430 074029

N

Newber

maybe like 2 on top of my 4x8
A

Dont bank on those things. We tested a few different ones at the fire dept including that particular model, and they do not work well at all. They only put out some fires in certain instances... like the ones in the promotional videos. Like a box made from pallets or a small dumpster that has a very small fire in it. But we found once the fires were hot enough to detonate the grenades, they were also too hot to be put out by the grenades.

After blowing through about 12 of them in various fire scenarios we werent able to stop one single fire from progressing, even small incipient fires.

They suck. But I suppose they're better than nothing.
Maybe.
It's a shame, I had high Hope's...View attachment 967735

You think 2 on top of a 4x8 would be put out? or just be better than nothing? lol

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I would think they would be decent in an enclosed area, could be wrong tho. I figure it’s better than nothing but I’m sure there’s some alternatives out there that use a similar concept. I’m all ears for something similar that’s better suited for the task.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
maybe like 2 on top of my 4x8

You think 2 on top of a 4x8 would be put out? or just be better than nothing? lol

I wouldnt trust those things to stop a fire in my garbage can.

The problem is fire is really dynamic. These only work in controlled settings with cool burning fuels and no air current. Once you throw in heat convection and a flow path to a real fire you get major air currents that disturb the dry chem materials, the fire might die down for one second and it's off going again. Even with a handheld ABC you need to hit the seat of the fire, and sweep it back until its fully extinguished or itll start up again.

I'll see if I can find videos of our tests. But they were so disappointing... even a small pallet burning in a car, we threw 3 in the window, they went pop pop pop, and barely knocked it back at all.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have seen these installed in rooms before. They arent nearly as cheap as a fire grenade but they actually work.

I'd recommend calling your local fire dept and ask them where to get an automatic fire suppression system. We would be able to order this through our supplier and they could likely get one in for you. Just tell them its for a greenhouse or something.

Jaytown

Jaytown

These are awesome ideas! Had no ideas these existed. Looks like I have new options, perhaps they can be used in conjunction with other fire suppression tech. Problem is with my grow, it is in a relatively large room not a tent.
Id like to give these a test

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The one I posted is probably the most likely to put a fire out. It's basically just a large dry chem with a solenoid that you plug a temp sensor into. You then mount it on a shelf and run a distribution line with a couple nozzles pointing down. Nozzles have different footprints at different heights too so that's something to consider. But I'd feel a lot more confident in a system like that since it will deliver a sustained release of drychem directly down on the fire.

Dan789

Dan789

Well, with your knowledge as an Electrician, the fusible link temp limit tied into your electrical panel through a bank of relays could remove the power and heat...that would be my first step. Let us all know what you end up doing..?

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

I've installed 2 Haven auto extinguishers, 1 in each tent PLUS the Nest fire alarm in the room and have a 5lb ABC extinguisher sitting there. So far, there has been no need for any of it, but id rather be safe for when I'm not at there. All electrical for the room is on GFI too.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've installed 2 Haven auto extinguishers, 1 in each tent PLUS the Nest fire alarm in the room and have a 5lb ABC extinguisher sitting there. So far, there has been no need for any of it, but id rather be safe for when I'm not at there. All electrical for the room is on GFI too.
Very nice, that looks a decent little unit. With any dry chemical extinguisher you should flip it upside down, smack the bottom and give it a little shake once a year at least to keep the dry chem powder nice and loose in there.

I might look into grabbing a couple of those myself..

Top Bottom