How do we fix this mess?

• Thread starter hubcap
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

herby

Oh and I hate to get too political here because this really isnt the place for it although I do love to talk politics and discuss the issues. Theres a good website where you can do all that and where they discuss whats really happening. Members from all over the world too. Its called gold is money. Just google gold forums and its usually the first thing that comes up.

hubcap

hubcap

At the risk of some people disagreeing with me AIG did nothing wrong.

boxing smoke and selling it as viable assets, is not "not doing anything wrong"

they are one MAJOR reason why we are in this mess.
period.

they offered loans to people they KNEW couldnt pay em; simply to, hopefully, cut off the looming housing disaster.
it didnt work. in fact it failed miserably. and it set the ball rolling.

now....are they totally to blame?
no.
someone, somewhere, in this huge beaurocracy of ours, SHOULD have caught it. Who knows....maybe they did and were paid to look the other way? wouldnt surprise me on bit.

ive held a series 6 and 7 (license to trade stocks/bonds/mutuals). i know first hand, how criminal the financial world is. that why i left the business in its entirety years ago. its a shame to say, but, they only TRUE way to fix our system of TRUST is to have some sort of deterrant.....starting with calling every head of bank....security firms...etc...and have their books scritinized. and HEAVY prosecution for the short comers. all in all, there were loopholes created during the reagan era that allowed this scum to fester and grow...so they simply ran thru the door that was left open for them.

excellent points all around tho. mace brings some heavy bullets to the table.

S

Somnambulist

I may be wrong, but when Rural_GrowOp said AIG did nothing wrong, I believe he was referring to the executive bonuses handed out. I agree with him there, don't blame AIG, blame the government. They (gov't) knew that AIG was planning to give out these bonuses ahead of time and handed over the money to them anyway with no strings attached.

G

GDS StonerBoy

Its probably not what anyone wants to hear but WWIII. Which i think is inevitable if things keep going the way they are going.

C

cway

I get what Rural Was saying..

but for anyone who doesn't understand how Finance, and the Government are in Cahoots, then you need to check out my thread; All people must see this.. Don't want to high jack this thread so I wont go into details...

K

kill-9

Congress won't do shit. AIG is just getting public ridicule and a bunch of threats. The Department of Justice already stands behind AIG saying they are contractually obligated to pay those CEOs the bonuses they are to receive.

I've given up on the government, all bark and no bite. Just gonna focus all my own brainpower improving my own life. Yes for all evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing, but shit, citizens are sheep with no Shepperd.

S

Slick

If you look at the world from a purely economic perspective there are a few key flaws in the way in which it operates which relate to things far more fundamental than any nation, multi-national corporation or private entity. I'm going to quote myself from another topic as I think I explained it quite well.

In the Western world Economic and Political systems have developed in such a way that Governments are forced to focus on the short term. While the current economic strategy may appear to be logical (from a short term perspective) the US-led economy is actually damaging and in some cases destroying the enviromental and social systems required for long term prosperity; the flaws in our economic system are actually driving unsustainability.

One of our economic system flaws is the failure to incorporate externalities into price, another being the failure to consider limits to growth, and probably the biggest of all being the under-valuing of future generations due to time-value-of-money concepts.

Electricity generation is one example of an industry which fails to incorporate externalities into price. We all know the drawbacks of this industry, nuclear waste, burning coal, acid rain, damaged rain forests, and lots of other negative impacts. These are the real costs paid by us (society) that are not included in the price of electricity which in turn creates an illusion that electricity generation is cheap when in fact this is anything but the truth. This "subsidization" causes vast over consumption and signifigantly drives humanity's unsustainable state.

Failure to consider limits to growth is another of the major flaws in our system. In nature plants and forests grow and then level off at the points where they have reached a sustainable balance with those systems which share the same space or resources as they do forming a natural economy. The idea that a business or national economy should grow indefinitely in a world of finite resources is illogical and highly unrealistic.

Time-value-of-money is one of those basics of economic concept. It's based on the idea that resources are worth more today than they ever will be at any point in the future. This makes sense from a reductionistic perspective because it is better to have resources, such as food, today rather than in the future. However, this concept is illogical from a systems perspective because it says people and resources beyond 50 to 100 years are worthless. Therefore, protecting them would be a foolish economic decision. This concept often causes business and political leaders to act as if the people they love the most, their grandchildren, are worthless.

The overall goal of any economic, political or financial system should be to maximize the well-being of society over the long-term and we have too many flaws in our political, financial and economic systems which contradict that goal completely.

When everything is considered the chances are we will continue to go through periods of "boom" and then the inevitable "bust" (referred to in government as a business cycle) until we reach a point where the World will have exhausted its resources completely or alternatively monopolies will continue to arise (Microsoft, AT&T, DeBeers, Alcoa, etc) with the inevitable results that come from them.

The only solution is a complete revision of the world economy that takes these things into consideration with a complete shift to sustainability but I think most of us know that is unlikely.

New Economics Foundation said:
It would take more than five Earths to be able to sustain the world population if everyone consumed resources at the same rate as the United States.

T

tngreen

there is no fix, simply an adjustment to the new environment. very well said Slick, i agree.

Top Bottom