How do YOU harvest?

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How do you harvest?

• Wet trim of fans only, hang to dry and then trim dry sugar leaves.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Trim everything at once and then dry.

Votes: 60 60.6%
  • I use a trimming machine!

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

So the other day I helped a buddy take his room down, and he harvested a LOT different than how I was taught. He gave me his reasons, and though they sounded viable, it went against what I believed.

I was taught that when you take things down that you should remove fans and cut things down so that you can hang them on hangers to dry. That leaving the sugar leaves on would protect the trichs. After 5 days you would then do a dry trim and then cure things in turkey bags or glass jars.

He just trims everything at once leaving the buds on the stems and hanging them for 5 days. He said that the trichs get beat up a lot less this way.

I've never done a poll before so I am going to try to on this thread.

Thanks for your input on this guys, I'm really curious to what you do and why you do it.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I fucking hate dry trimming - you lose product and it takes much longer

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

yeah well agreed with ml
you waste alot more time digging the tips of your scissors in your bud to get that dry, stuck fan leaf off makin it look ugly
it takes like 3 times as long to get that bud lookin perfect rather than trimmin it all right away n you get all that bs outta the way

MARTA

MARTA

Master Of Manual Dexterity

yeah well agreed with ml
you waste alot more time digging the tips of your scissors in your bud to get that dry, stuck fan leaf off makin it look ugly
it takes like 3 times as long to get that bud lookin perfect rather than trimmin it all right away n you get all that bs outta the way

To each his own, but I disagree...

I hate wet trimming, because the end product looks fugly...

Wet trimming also damages the terpenes held in the still fluid glandular trichomes.

I can trim dry fast-as-fuck, cuttin' canyons and all...

It didn't start out like that, took a few years of practice.

You just have to get good at it, and not give up.

Practice makes perfect! :surprised

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

MARTA.....I'm mostly interested in WHY people do it the specific way they do it. Looking for pro's and con's really so I can weigh it out in my mind how I want to harvest this next run.

S

Sea Of Green

I leave the plant in the pot. Then remove + fully trim the lower branches/buds, and main colas from the main stalks while still wet. Hanging them individually "popcorn string" style on short strands of extra light gauge flexible steel wire, I think it's called "Handy Wire" or something to that effect. It's as thin as a small sewing needle, thinner than some needles I've seen. Poke one end through the bottom of the bud stems, slide them on until wire is full, and on the other end of the wire bend into a hook. Then hang those on small ceiling hooks.

It takes awhile, and is a bit labor intensive. But buds I've manicured and dried are as picture perfectly undamaged and clean cut looking as any I've ever seen, possibly better. They never get packed together like buds that are for sale, and always look more natural and appealing to the eye. Not smashed/rolled up like buds you buy in a bag. A slightly higher grade than that. These never see a plastic bag. Is it worth the effort? I think so. Most people that I let see/smoke them think so too.

Shiskaberries

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

It comes down to alot of work when you think about it
I have trimmers help out n i dont see them doing a perfect job when you leave it on the stem, dry. I see homies thinking its a done perfect job because they dont see any "leafs sticking out" but there ends up being alot of leafs just COVERING stuck to the bud, especailly if you haves ome popcorn nugs with all this fan leaf stuck to it its such a bitch to trim up imo. Have you tryed to trim dry bud? its horrible
I see alot more trichome damage trying to trim dry to compared to wet,Itsjust like a dry bud if you keep handling it the trichomes just pop off into your hand instead of just wet trich's of your gloves/scissors

All the times i let this happen, I gave up & ended up using the rest for wax lol
Go with your boys method just get the job done at once.

MARTA

MARTA

MARTA.....I'm mostly interested in WHY people do it the specific way they do it. Looking for pro's and con's really so I can weigh it out in my mind how I want to harvest this next run.

Sorry, forgot to quote...

I clarified my original post.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
heres some wet trimmed white d - looks all right I guess

white_d_jar.jpg

B

billybadazz

I've tried various methods and for me the best product comes from cutting the plant at the stalk and hang it upside down without taking the leaves or anything off of it. I hang it in a room temp room (68-70) humidity is low (30-40%) for 4-5 days. I trim the buds when they are semi damp and trimming is a breeze. I then spread the buds on one of those collapsable drying racks for 2-3 days (2 days in the warmer weather) Then jar it up for at least a week (2 is better) remembering to let the jars breathe daily. I have found this to give me superior taste on my product. -BB

supercharged

supercharged

dry trim is the way forward for me, we dont need to use scissors this way, just pick at the leaves with finger a thumb, we never lose any product and imo it dries better, ive always thought that when you chop anywhere on the plant sap will appear to heal so when you chop wet its gonna have sap on every wound, something im not into smoking, but each to their own innit

just my 2cents
sc

peace

audius

audius

Sap?????.....LMFAO........that was good for a morning giggle,,,,

amen. i was wondering how the real farmers did it . personally i clip everything wet & from the poll,,its 50/50. so im gtg :banana1sv6:

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I trim when the buds r dry.. The reason 4 that is I grow small time & with so few plants drying they dry very fast.. I also water rite till the 2nd 2 the last day of chop maybe e en the day of chop.. The same reason I'm only drying 12-16 plants & not very big.. I live in Fresno it's very hot with low rh.. So buds dry super fast.. If I water them the last day it puts extra moister in the plant 2 help it dry slower.. If I leave the sugar leaves on it helps the plants dry slower 4 me plus 2 me it's way easier.. When the leaves r wet they stick 2 my Sicsers More it seems.. I do it mostly so my plants dry slower

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This poll doesn't show an option for how I do things. Take the whole plant, hang her upside down with everything on, fans and everything and let her dry that way.
I fucking hate dry trimming - you lose product and it takes much longer
Hehheh, and I fucking hate wet trimming. Not to mention that after a few hours all the plants are limp anyway. It seems more appropriate for small grows, where you won't be getting a third of the way through to discover that trimming limp plants is more difficult than dry trimming.

I've tried it both ways, wet trimming is messier for me. I'm not going to dick around breaking it up into little bitty pieces. They only get deboned enough so that I can get the product into paper bags for curing, which is a month minimum.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Trimming the fan leaves and letting the water leaves dry on the bud is how I do. I let the rest dry more then clip the water leaves when they're crispy. Then I let it dry to an almost stem snapping dryness when the bud is still slightly damp. I cut the buds from the larger stems and put them into a cardboard box for a day or so to dry a little more then jar or bag them up. LA is very dry most the time so it doesn't take long to dry your bud usually.

M

moodster

i have noticed leaving the leaves on to dry kinda locks the smell in better i have noticed

Cort

Cort

Hehheh, and I fucking hate wet trimming. Not to mention that after a few hours all the plants are limp anyway.

This is why folks trim as they harvest. Cut a branch, trim it, hang it, repeat.

I like dry trimming better than wet trimming. Not as big of a rush. If I want to take a nap, order a pizza or go for a swim I can with out worries that I didnt get everything finished today.

Hack it into main branches, get some/most of the fan leaves, hang it. Trim it some other day.

Top Bottom