How Do Your Ammended Soils Stand Up To An 8 Week Veg And 8 Week Flower

• Thread starter bankcee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bankcee

bankcee

I'm gonna have to try them next time I mix a batch of soil..

hey @Seamaiden what you think on my ammendments and ammending? lol trying to figure it out. was thinking substituting my name source for like feather meal or cottonseed meal but they're is so much controversy about these products along with why organic growers should use bone meal or SRP or this or that?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have no quarrel with using animal-based products. If they're certified, they're certified.

bankcee

bankcee

I have no quarrel with using animal-based products. If they're certified, they're certified.

right? I figured the same but you know people on any of these forums and sites. I'm gonna try adding some of that to give me the N I lose at the start of every bloom cycle.

trying to dial in the organics.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Coffee grounds are a slow release fert. 1.2%, 0.3, 0.3 and I've read that the acidify effect is minimal. My worms get mine first but I would think it would help with as a slow N source if top dressed with EWC. Just make sure its mixed and doesn't cake on the surface.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

Now for my ammendments.

I do a mixture of the lot of my ammendments and do 2-3 cups of this mix per cubic foot. how beneficial is this route vs using each separately per cubic foot?

I use fish bone meal kelp meal alfalfa meal neem seed meal crab meal azomite and espoma plant tone and garden lime..

I add 2 cups of fish bone 2 cups kelp and then 1 cup of alfalfa neem crab and plant tone and garden lime, and 4 cups per cubic foot of azomite.

what substitutes would you use, as far as ratios different ammendments in place of other or even additional ammendments.. people say KISS and that's what I do with this mix but I feel it may be lacking seeing as I always run into a def early in bloom.

You could skip the plant tone all together, you really don't need it with the rest of the things you have. Only thing I would add to that list is gypsum.

The compost teas are fine but I think using a humic acid product like Bio ag FulPower would be much easier and more effective. I don't even use teas anymore now that i use this stuff.

bankcee

bankcee

the stuff your saying you use in place of your teas. do they add microbes to soil? cause that's why I use teas mainly. never do nute teas like a lot of people do. the stuff your saying is just humic acid?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, humics 'chelate', which makes what mineral nutrients are present more easily available. Or something like that. I use them in conjunction with (fill in the blank) ______________, I also use them in my aquaponic system for that reason.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

the stuff your saying you use in place of your teas. do they add microbes to soil? cause that's why I use teas mainly. never do nute teas like a lot of people do. the stuff your saying is just humic acid?

It says they are derived from microbes so I would say yes they do. look at it as a catalyst, It helps break down materials that are in your soil and make them available. If you build your soil using a premium compost, you don't have to worry about adding biology to your soil via teas because it should already exist.

bankcee

bankcee

It says they are derived from microbes so I would say yes they do. look at it as a catalyst, It helps break down materials that are in your soil and make them available. If you build your soil using a premium compost, you don't have to worry about adding biology to your soil via teas because it should already exist.

but if the conditions aren't where they need to be for the microbes they go dormant. right? and the only way to tell if there is still a good population in their is to view it under a microscope and I don't do all that fancy stuff lol don't own the equipment.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

but if the conditions aren't where they need to be for the microbes they go dormant. right? and the only way to tell if there is still a good population in their is to view it under a microscope and I don't do all that fancy stuff lol don't own the equipment.

I'm not suggesting you rely solely on a bottle to make sure you have soil life. My whole point was your soil should already be thriving if you built it right so you should not need teas to ensure your soil is alive. The humic acid will aid in the process of unlocking nutrients in your soil and works as a catalyst. I was just trying to help you but it seems you have it already figured out. Good luck to you

bankcee

bankcee

I'm not suggesting you rely solely on a bottle to make sure you have soil life. My whole point was your soil should already be thriving if you built it right so you should not need teas to ensure your soil is alive. The humic acid will aid in the process of unlocking nutrients in your soil and works as a catalyst. I was just trying to help you but it seems you have it already figured out. Good luck to you
I think you took me trying to understand how this works the wrong way. but likewise brotha. haha

Underthesun

Underthesun

Coffee grounds are a slow release fert. 1.2%, 0.3, 0.3 and I've read that the acidify effect is minimal. My worms get mine first but I would think it would help with as a slow N source if top dressed with EWC. Just make sure its mixed and doesn't cake on the surface.

I've heard the acidity is high with grounds that haven't been brewed and should be used with caution. But the brewed grounds are less acidic and good to go in the compost.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Not many coffee beans make it out alive from my house so I wouldn't know from experience but that is what I have heard as well. I've tried to get my chickens to eat them to energize my eggs but no takers.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah... unbrewed coffee grounds??? Musta been some REALLY lousy coffee, eh?

Underthesun

Underthesun

Yeah... unbrewed coffee grounds??? Musta been some REALLY lousy coffee, eh?

Haha, I was just throwing out the warning so someone didn't decide to replace neem seed meal with coffee grounds or something like that. I've heard of people doing some crazy stuff, like buying a carton of eggs just to compost the egg carton and shells...nevermind eating the eggs. That was from a different composting group forum.

Top Bottom