How hot is too hot in a small tent?

• Thread starter sp838
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

This is a better chart to illustrate where you want your temp and humidity to meet for optimal environment at the different stages of growth.

VPD Table in KiloPascals

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Find the humidity you sit at. Match your temperature setting according to the chart.
Yes. You can do it either way. If your not able to keep your temp in range you can move the optimal zone by raising or lowering your humidity. Same goes for humidity. If you can't keep it in range you can change the temp to get it in range.
I have everything on controllers as well. Right now my temps and RH are dialed in to where the exhaust fans arent running at all. Just the interior circulation fans running softly. Should I flush the air out every so often, even if temp and RH are stable and correct?
I set my minimum fan speed at 2. I want constant air exchanging so that the plants are constantly getting fresh CO2 alone with reducing the chances of ethelyne and other gases building up in the tent.

sp838

sp838

Currently the ambient humidity in my apartment is between 25 and 30%. And today is a cool rainy day. Until summer this is as good as RH gets for me, but by then I'll be battling heat and running the a/c.... So for me the game overall will be to keep temps down and RH up, I think. At least in the beginning with sprouts and early veg.

The temperature in my tent with two 6500k cfl bulbs and two circulating fans going is 78-81F. Using the chart, I am raising the humidity to 70-75% to try to keep the VPD in the .6 – .9 range, in preparation for a new auto seedling 🤞🤞 I have my exhaust fan set to trigger at 82F with a temp buffer of 2º and will also run the exhaust fan for a few minutes every ~6 hours.

After a few days worth of testing I think my exhaust fan as it's set up is weak, and struggles to drop the temperature even though temps in the room outside the tent are consistently in the 72-77F range. So I'm thinking about maybe seeing if it works better by switching it to intake to blow in fresh air, or also maybe adding an intake fan to have intake and exhaust at once...

Last edited:
sp838

sp838

maybe i’m raising CO2, hanging out in there all the time😳
lol you know, I spend about 8+ hours a day in this office, standing right above this tent which is under my desk. Was wondering if I should get myself a pilot's face mask and be breathing in fresh humid oxygenated weed air while exhaling CO2 into the tent all day 🤣🤣🤣

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Currently the ambient humidity in my apartment is between 25 and 30%. And today is a cool rainy day. Until summer this is as good as RH gets for me, but by then I'll be battling heat and running the a/c.... So for me the game overall will be to keep temps down and RH up, I think. At least in the beginning with sprouts and early veg.

The temperature in my tent with two 6500k cfl bulbs and two circulating fans going is 78-81F. Using the chart, I am raising the humidity to 70-75% to try to keep the VPD in the .6 – .9 range, in preparation for a new auto seedling 🤞🤞 I have my exhaust fan set to trigger at 82F with a temp buffer of 2º and will also run the exhaust fan for a few minutes every ~6 hours.

After a few days worth of testing I think my exhaust fan as it's set up is weak, and struggles to drop the temperature even though temps in the room outside the tent are consistently in the 72-77F range. So I'm thinking about maybe seeing if it works better by switching it to intake to blow in fresh air, or also maybe adding an intake fan to have intake and exhaust at once...
I learned with inline fan's to just get a bigger fan than I think I need. I have a 6' fan in my 3x3 and I think I need more lol 😆

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Agreed! Your exhaust is not doing what it's supposed unless your intake air is at a high temperature also.

What size exhaust fan do you have? You want to exchange the entire volume of air in your tent at minimum once every 3 minutes. The more exchanges the better to keep fresh CO2 available for the plants.

sp838

sp838

What size exhaust fan do you have?
4" inline duct fan, supposed to be 100cfm. For a tent that's 18x30x36 (11.25 cubic feet) was hoping that would be enough. Thinking of getting a couple flat pc box fans and setting them inside the bottom vent doing intake. Outside air is cool down there.

Top Bottom