How Many Farmers Trim Their Bud Wet.........

• Thread starter Reefer Franklin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How Many Farmers Trim Their Bud Wet or Dry ?

• Wet

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Dry

Votes: 24 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've done both for almost 6 yrs now. Dry the first 4 harvests, then wet from then on. I'll always trim wet. So much easier to trim wet, lay out on my dry racks in my cut down temp/rh controlled room. Then into jars to burp down to 55-60%. Always smells nice and dank. And I use a t4 trimmer to boot. Never any complaints

BudBogart

BudBogart

This is an old ass thread but I do kinda see you're point. I just harvested first plant and wet trimmed. I have 2 more same strain that didn't have the percentage of amber I'm seeking yet. Maybe I'll do 1 wet trim n 1 just fans off n leave sugar leaves on to dry. Since I won't be selling a single gram appearance really don't matter. I think the wet trim does make it look more appealing. No one wants to see leaves in something they are paying crazy money for. But for better preservation leaving sugar leaves to protect might be good and it'll make drying little slower so better if it don't mold.

I also like to leave the sugar leaves on till dry, then trim. Those trichomes laden sugar leaves dry and retract up with the bud. I also don't sell any bud. I trim my bud in what I like to call a " farmers trim". I think dispensaries and others have learned that all that close trim has a ton of trichomes and they trim so close as to remove said trichomes to use in their concentrates. Again, nice crop.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

This is an old ass thread but I do kinda see you're point. I just harvested first plant and wet trimmed. I have 2 more same strain that didn't have the percentage of amber I'm seeking yet. Maybe I'll do 1 wet trim n 1 just fans off n leave sugar leaves on to dry. Since I won't be selling a single gram appearance really don't matter. I think the wet trim does make it look more appealing. No one wants to see leaves in something they are paying crazy money for. But for better preservation leaving sugar leaves to protect might be good and it'll make drying little slower so better if it don't mold.
Yeah, you tried wet now try dry and see what you think. Definitely can manicure better wet there's no doubt there. I have found that if your buds are good and ripe, there usually isn't much sugar leaves protruding out of the buds anyhow and after dry you just nip the little sugar tips and bam your ON. I'm not knocking any bodies methods, if what you do works for you then that's all that matters but make sure you try both. I knocked defoliation till I tried it and once I tried it and started getting an oz or even 2 more on a strain I'd grown several times then I was sold. I wouldn't worry about mold, make sure you got moving air around the buds and drop your humidity to around 50%.

Last edited:
LeeMcGee

LeeMcGee

Yo Sea, I say this with all do respect cuz i got mad respect fir u; with that being said, r u hang drying in what looks like underur floor boards, (nice cool dank place ) but has dirt on the floor and insulation(fiberglass floating all around in there) lined celing and walls. I use to do insulation for a job( i was 19 and they paid me 25$per hr and i wouldnt do it fir 6x the amt today). Fiberglass batts is some nasty shit that gets everywhere including ur pours, lungs and other places. I mean u have to take special showers to get that stuff off u. Im sure the fiberglass will stick to curing buds only to be inhaled later, no bueno!. I cant tell in the batts on the celing of that room r paper lined or its the raw pink FG, but please do ur self a favor and have ur hubby wrapp that insulation with house wrap, 50/50 plastic or whatever will keep that stuff from comtaninating ur budz. jus MVHO. Respect,

Confu...
btw, FG ripps the lung walls when inhalled and allows for a more of the "esentials" to be intaken, kinda like those brown lil ciggretts ppl used to smoke b4 they became band in the states. You get more bang for ur buck but at the cost of scar tissue in ur lungs, can someone say CANCER>>>

Ohh and I harvest Xactly like u 2 :harvest:
I agree 100%, No Way that insulation isn't falling into those buds. Turn out the lights, use a flashlight and you'll see all the fine particles in the air. I have shirts from years ago that still have FB fibers stuck in them from wearing while working in attics. I wouldn't smoke that bud even with respect to Seamaiden, I know how easily fiberglass shards go everywhere.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

I look at the growing as only half the battle, and drying the other half. Drying and curing in my opinion is sometimes more important than the growing process. And really the fact of the matter if you dry really slow, most times there's really no need for a long ass cure.

H

heisen

I think the reason people have better results with dry trimming is because the more shit attached to the buds the longer it takes to dry.Thats a fact.Longer branches means more moisture distributed in the buds so longer time to dry.Someone with low humidity levels would benefit from this because of a slower cure and the buds holding more moisture.
As long as the humidity levels are good than there cant be any difference in taste or bag appeal.The plant is finished growing.Its not gonna gain any more trichs or flavors.
I always wet trim mine and keep the humidity at 6o percent.I add 1 day of dry time for every 10 percent of humidity than add 1 more day.Cut the buds off the branches and into jars.
Besides all that they are far more harder to trim dry and involves more handling.The more you handle dry buds the more trichs are gonna float off and they will have a rolled look.No way in hell ill ever trim dry again.Takes forever and the final product looks like ass.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

I think the reason people have better results with dry trimming is because the more shit attached to the buds the longer it takes to dry.Thats a fact.Longer branches means more moisture distributed in the buds so longer time to dry.Someone with low humidity levels would benefit from this because of a slower cure and the buds holding more moisture.
As long as the humidity levels are good than there cant be any difference in taste or bag appeal.The plant is finished growing.Its not gonna gain any more trichs or flavors.
I always wet trim mine and keep the humidity at 6o percent.I add 1 day of dry time for every 10 percent of humidity than add 1 more day.Cut the buds off the branches and into jars.
Besides all that they are far more harder to trim dry and involves more handling.The more you handle dry buds the more trichs are gonna float off and they will have a rolled look.No way in hell ill ever trim dry again.Takes forever and the final product looks like ass.
It's really a touchy subject. I don't blame anybody on how they run their ship, I just happen to be on the side that says dry trim works better for me in the smoke and smell report. I have done both several times, I've trimmed day one and put them in an appropriate setting to try to slow the drying process down, around 60% rh and 65 degree temps, only thing I found was you definitely get a nicer looking bud wet trimmed as what leaf matter is left recedes into the bud but I also found that I don't like getting a 4 or 5 gram resin ball off my scissors after wet trimming a couple lbs. I have done side by side dry trim and wet trim, same strain and to myself and people around me could tell a noticeable difference in the smoke and smell report. In my opinion the faster the buds dry the longer the cure has to be to recoup smell.

Leew421

Leew421

I tried both and where I'm at dry trimming is working best for me. I actually leave a lot on and use the leaves to tell me when it's time to cut down. The stems on the leaves are a good indicator on dryness I find. When that stem is snapping or breaking when bent it's time to go.

King Julien

King Julien

I've tried both methods and in the end I wound up going to dry trimming simply because it was easier for me due to it being so much less messy. Also didn't have to worry about spreading out the trim to dry.

I do recall reading up on the subject years ago though and reading something about how wet trimming causes the chlorophyll to not break down as well in the leaves left on the bud due to damaging them and causing the dead cells to stop processing the chlorophyll as well as causing what's in the damaged cells to leak out onto the surrounding plant material.

As I understand it curing is simply allowing the plant to continue to stay just alive just long enough to process the remaining chlorophyll and carbohydrates by keeping intracellular chemical reactions alive. So it stands to reason that the less damage incurred to the plant's cells the better it can do that job after harvest.

Madbud

Madbud

Depends on the girl, some say trim me now, others like keeping their leaves on a little longer.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I trimmed wet. Indoor plants really smelled like hay afterwards. Outdoor plants not so much. I have heard others I know grow saying they trimmed dry once and never again. Huge PITA. However, I'm not discounting dry trimming being superior or not, just more of work.

BuffaloGanj

BuffaloGanj

I've tried both methods now and really do prefer wet, only because I do just a few plants at a time, and by the time I harvest there is usually just stems and a few sugar leaf edges left to trim, with very few fan leaves left on the plant. I usually cut the obvious stuff the first time and then may even trim them a little closer after they've dried and I pull them out of storage to smoke. The fan leaves are almost all gone by the time mine are ready for harvest. I also believe that as long as the drying is done low and slow then the quality will be retained, but it doesn't take very long for buds to lose much of the dank factor when dried in a room over 75 degrees, due to the heat burning off of those deliciously fragile terpenes that give the smoke those really nice smells and flavors. That's why the bottom of a bowl never tastes as sweet as the first couple of hits. Here's a side branch from an autoflowering GG plant I trimmed last week. Very few leaves left to trim by the time I harvest these autos.

ProfilePic
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've tried both methods now and really do prefer wet, only because I do just a few plants at a time, and by the time I harvest there is usually just stems and a few sugar leaf edges left to trim, with very few fan leaves left on the plant. I usually cut the obvious stuff the first time and then may even trim them a little closer after they've dried and I pull them out of storage to smoke. The fan leaves are almost all gone by the time mine are ready for harvest. I also believe that as long as the drying is done low and slow then the quality will be retained, but it doesn't take very long for buds to lose much of the dank factor when dried in a room over 75 degrees, due to the heat burning off of those deliciously fragile terpenes that give the smoke those really nice smells and flavors. That's why the bottom of a bowl never tastes as sweet as the first couple of hits. Here's a side branch from an autoflowering GG plant I trimmed last week. Very few leaves left to trim by the time I harvest these autos.

I dont mean to derail, but from here it looks like that plant could have used a couple more weeks, It has lots of white stigmas still on her.

Top Bottom