how much are dispensaries paying for a pound?

• Thread starter danko
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Slug

The market is more than flooded with herb right now. Good and bad. With all the other collectives closing down, the ones that are left have all the buying power. And since everyone and their Mom is growing, people have to get rid of it for super cheap because they got into this thinking they'll be the next "Marijuana Millionaire". Wrong! There's a VERY VERY small percentage of collectives that will still pay good money for good medicine.

These guys are making WAYY more off they're meds then they legally should be. Not to mention, just proving that fact that they're not here for the patients.

N

NorcalCapo

Slug, bluenote and samara you are all right. It is a buyers market in the mmj club scene right now. Indoor is crazy cheap right now, even for top shelf. I see so much indoor week after week at a delivery service involunteer for, from 16 to 24. It's crazy. Now that Feds caused alot of closures less growers have outlet to sell cause clubs have the choose of whatever they want, to a point. Those real good growers (or at least ones I know) have a little more pride in themselves and there trade then to take low donations for there meds let alone deal with 'shady' clubs. I've had some great times vending for delivery services lately. What I've gotten 34 to 38 in past now I can barely get 24 25 in norcal. To flooded to many low quality low cost warehouse or residential grows. I'd rather pay more for quality then be cheap with quantity of sub par product. There's a market for that stuff don't get me wrong but it shouldnt be put out there as 'top shelf' I've sold stuff as 'mids' and came back couple days later when I know purchaser or owner isn't in and seen my strains sold as 'top shelf'. Disappointing they won't offer top shelf donations yet sell at top shelf prices :/ I know as well quite a few people who grow just because of the marijuana millionaire mindset. There now having to cut corners and sell for less due to more competition. Those people are looking into real full-time jobs now.

B

Bluenote

The market is more than flooded with herb right now. Good and bad. With all the other collectives closing down, the ones that are left have all the buying power. And since everyone and their Mom is growing, people have to get rid of it for super cheap because they got into this thinking they'll be the next "Marijuana Millionaire". Wrong! There's a VERY VERY small percentage of collectives that will still pay good money for good medicine.

These guys are making WAYY more off they're meds then they legally should be. Not to mention, just proving that fact that they're not here for the patients.

Weeeelll lets just pry this can of worms open a bit further. Scenario: lowball like a big dog in NorCal , run it downstate to dispensaries and sell it for a lot more. Just like the old days except the people putting out the effort to grow are making one hell of a lot less.

And then there are folks just dumping whatever they have on the market and getting out. A year from now it could be dry as a bone , from product to clone.

Lotsa good used equipment around used right now for dirt cheap as more folks get out too.

B

Bluenote

Well, thats a shame. I have seen lots of indoor haze varities for sale in my area. C.H.A.I. is one that always has indoor hazes, but its their Chemdog that is always super consitent, I would love a cut of it. Not sure which Chem it is though.

I know Harborside will give you a little more for sativas

Doesn't affect me too much , I tend to keep a couple of Sativas around for my head and I know enough patients that like 'em that I never have an excess , and the pendulum will swing back , folks sure like the Blue Dream.

I was refereing more to some of the 20 week sativa landrace genetics along with the initial Afghan type cultivars to hit the states. Not ALL of which were ALL Indica by the way , for historical verification of that look to what grows in that region and how it's grown and has been for eons.Both sativas and indicas occur in those locales and everything is open pollinated.

I've got a bunch of Reefermans stuff I picked up in a deal from a guy that was getting out , there's no real gaurantee these landraces authenticity and they sure as hell aren't marketable , but look at it this way , if the Panama turns out I can put The New Riders of The Purple Sage " Panama Red " and " Oh Henry" on and it will be 197.....eerr nevermind I ain't a doing the numbers on that one.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

I always enjoy reading this section/thread. But my favorite is "EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHER" is growing. The market is flooded etc. This might be true to a point and only temporarily but how many of these "EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHER" yahoo MMJ grower Millionares (new to the scene) is actually growing quality meds? ZIP or very few of them. Let them all fall by the wayside because their growing dreams are gone. I have never seen or met any MMJ grower millionaires ever. Maybe the growers I have known and met have a good way of hiding all their money from me. Are they out there you bet but not from the legal collective/club member donation scene. These club owners are the ones with the money right now. Reimbursement of low numbers per elbow and then charging $20 per gram to their clients club members. When you factor in rent, electricity, water, nutes, harvesting and triming time, drying time, curing time and your time to maintain your garden daily, total reimbursement is less than $3.00 per hour on 10 week OG Kush strain. You collective/club/dispensary owners better wake up.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

There's been a burp in my supply line, I've got cured gear ready 2 go and I'm going to contact some local (SLO) collectives/delivery services. I don't particularly like making cold calls but I'm going to weedmaps to get some numbers and test the local waters to, hopefully, avoid the drive down to LA. I'll let you know what the cat drags in here on the Central Coast.

PS I'm emailing my Mother to find out what she's growing and I'll report back w/ infor on the strains to avoid. ;)

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I saw on this one show on tv some grower vacuuming spider mites off the plants with a straight shop vac right before harvest. WTF? He thought that was standard procedure.
Book grower, (Cervantes, Rosenthal) 4 sure. Don't know if this has any bearing on anything, but look at what I just stumbled onto @ weedmaps

singingcrow

singingcrow

Yeah, those numbers don't mean much though. They are inflated, all over the place with little consistency from places like "Reseda Discount Caregivers" to high-price Hollywood dispensaries off of Sunset.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Yep. Only would be useful if you're lucky enough to hit a median or average outlet. If they're inflated, would that mean that there are more high end dispensary buyer/patients than discount outlet patients?

singingcrow

singingcrow

Yes most probably in SoCal, especially with SEA crackdowns and elective closures of do many dispenceries in Orange County.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Some day I'd like to see this thread topic go away and be replaced w/ a "How Much Growers Are Charging Dispensary Customers for Their Weed/MMJ" It seems like someone got it backwards, or at least mixed up,somewhere along the way. Just my 2p, and probably a pendulum swing type of deal, anyways.

B

Bluenote

Some day I'd like to see this thread topic go away and be replaced w/ a "How Much Growers Are Charging Dispensary Customers for Their Weed/MMJ" It seems like someone got it backwards, or at least mixed up,somewhere along the way. Just my 2p, and probably a pendulum swing type of deal, anyways.

Farmer's Markets , direct from grower to patient , already happening in Sac and in Lucerne....

B

Bluenote

Want a curmudgeonly old farts view? Y'all tune out if you don't.

What we're seeing here is the growing pains of a seedling industry ( pun intended) , and while it may have more far ranging implications this time around it is in reality not a great deal different than the periodic blitzs ( usually coinciding with an election) that we've undergone for decades , the major differing factors being the dramatic price swing and the "brink of legality" implications.

The fact that absolute *hordes* of folks with stars in their eyes , lotsa greed and unrealistic pipe dreams jumped in behind the MMJ movement and prop 19 definitely contributed to the situation.

But pendulums swing folks , and as the non-serious short-term folks and the profit pirates get out and contribute to the glut of cheap used equipment on the market it will eventually balance out and leave the dedicated quality oriented producers , and it's inevitably going to open the connoisseur market further , and once it IS legal and the large majors have jumped in that specific market will *explode*.

If we can wait it out long enough here's *our* advantage.....those " large majors" , i.e. Big Tobacco and Big Pharma *cannot* do waht we do. You won't see Phillip Morris producing much beyond mass " warehouse weed" , t'ain't agonna be any *real* landrace Colombian in those " Colombian Gold Filters" , we all know that they're unlikely to go the finish time. Thes people will bring a whole new meaning to the term " commercial weed".

Here's another prediction , those massive tracts of land that rumors say have been purchased be these majors within the Emerald Triangle will be a ***MASSIVE*** failure for them , not going to be able to deal with all the factors on the scale they'll need. They'll end up with huge factory style hydro or out on the Central Valley ripping out orange groves.

And look for 'em to start attempting to trademark certain " names" , keep in mind that certain seedmakers have already started with the end user licensing agreement crap.

I'll leave you with the scariest thought of all , Monsanto is rumored to be carefully evaluating the *worldwide* profit potential of cannabis.

The Roller Coaster is just starting........

singingcrow

singingcrow

Your last line is particularly spooky.

So...anyone know more about this farmers market thing? I love that idea.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

So...anyone know more about this farmers market thing? I love that idea.
There have been farmer's markets in WA for a while now. They are a good idea but still have some considerable drawbacks. Often times the organizers of these events are a bit too profit driven and either charge a high vendor fee ($250/day) or have the market open too many days per week/month. For a farmer's market to be successful it can't be open too much. It has to be a "special" event to draw crowds to make it worth it. If a farmer's market is open more than one day a week there are always more vendors than customers. Once a month would be ideal imo.

Also, the people running the farmer's market should not be competing (selling their own meds) with the vendors! There was a rumor going around here in Seattle that one of the co-ops that host a farmer's market were charging vendors $250/day for a table and then intercepting customer's on their way in offering, "$150 top shelf ounces."

Also, there are a lot of growers who are desperate and clueless when it comes to the art of undercutting a competitor's price. If you undercut the competition too much you fuck up the market. Surprising how many people don't get this.

Most of the people I've talked to who vend at these events look at them as a way to advertise/network. It's not a bread and butter money maker for them. It's just a way to get their business card in the hands of somebody that will call them next tuesday for an elbow.

singingcrow

singingcrow

There have been farmer's markets in WA for a while now. They are a good idea but still have some considerable drawbacks. Often times the organizers of these events are a bit too profit driven and either charge a high vendor fee ($250/day) or have the market open too many days per week/month. For a farmer's market to be successful it can't be open too much. It has to be a "special" event to draw crowds to make it worth it. If a farmer's market is open more than one day a week there are always more vendors than customers. Once a month would be ideal imo.

Also, the people running the farmer's market should not be competing (selling their own meds) with the vendors! There was a rumor going around here in Seattle that one of the co-ops that host a farmer's market were charging vendors $250/day for a table and then intercepting customer's on their way in offering, "$150 top shelf ounces."

Also, there are a lot of growers who are desperate and clueless when it comes to the art of undercutting a competitor's price. If you undercut the competition too much you fuck up the market. Surprising how many people don't get this.

Most of the people I've talked to who vend at these events look at them as a way to advertise/network. It's not a bread and butter money maker for them. It's just a way to get their business card in the hands of somebody that will call them next tuesday for an elbow.

Thanks Greenthumbbill, I think its brilliant, however it would have to be adapted to the legality and logistical issues of CA for me. I love the idea of farmer to patient and would live to see it added with lots of well made topicals, tinctures, thc/cbd pills and organic only buds to be added to where the other farmers all ready shop, say at our Malibu farmers market. That would be just awesome...ill have to give that quite a bit of thought and see if anything like that has been attempted in SoCal..whuat are the restrictions, outdoor venue insurance, patient records, would I need a scanner on site to process new patients? Just paperwork? Just education and samples to show people? Interesting thought...

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

They know who they are, we know who they are, but we don't know who we are...yet?

Top Bottom