How often do you change your HPS bulb?

• Thread starter forknowledge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
forknowledge

forknowledge

Im sure this isnt the first time youve heard this question being asked but the search feature isnt working for me lol.
Ive been using the 400W "Philips PIA Plus" but they're expensive so I thought Id give the "Grolux" a try. I just cant tell when they need a change it doesnt loose colour & I cant see any difference in my bud, so what bulb are you using, what is the wattage & how often are you changing it?

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

I use Eye Hortilux 1000's for 2 grows each. I rotate each time changing 2 bulbs at a time. I also use the 2 newer ones during my veg. putting the extra hrs. on them which seems to keep them all equal. not sure if that makes sense, but think of it like tires. You can also buy a fairly cheap meter which will read how many lumens your lamp is putting out. It may not be totally accurate but if you check the new bulb readout you can always at least see what kind of decrease over time you have. But shit if your only using 1 and things look fine than go w/ it.

N

newcomer

Generally speaking: 8-9 months (in most of the cases/brands) in 12/12 cycle with just a little bit decrease in the lummen output. I use HPS only for flowering so I use every bulb for 3 rounds (as "greenthumbdanny" said).

forknowledge

forknowledge

We cant tell when you say "I change every X rounds"
Its difficult to tell how long everybody flowers for some strains are 8 weekers some 14 weekers so its almost impossible to know how many weeks after you change the bulb please state fellas.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
dead bulbs?

good point forknowledge, its hard to say exactly because each grow is a little different. sometimes i veg. a little longer and thats 24 hrs. but if i had to say it would be 3 cycles at 12 weeks each.

mal

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

Well I my first was a lucalux 400w hps and it burned out just after a year so I had no other choice but to change it. I say run your bulbs a year at least as they are costly and at best one light covers a 6x6ft spot.So even if your grow is massive you will still save money in the end. But if you got that connisuer mind state then I guess you could just add the cost to the long list of shit you already buy. However i would rotate bulbs in a way that you would flower with the newest bulbs and veg with older ones as the bulbs due loose lumensIMHOFOLKS. Quick note lucaluxorlucolux(can't remember for sure) made the plants flower about one week faster than hotilux 1000w however this trait was diminished by third harvest with original bulb.:cool0041:

Z

zoeronerer

every 9 months or so ... 6 if im vegging at all with em... 1k hps hortilux added blue spendy ones .......

YESCA73

YESCA73

1000 HPS Hortilux I change about once a year .
I know the hydro store says every 3 runs
What is everybody else doing ??????????????????????????????

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Every 9 months I try 2 buy a new bulb.. this last batch was off a 1yr old bulb & I pulled the same yield... im gunna keep them a yr now...

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

bear in mind that when your hid bulb isn't on /hps wise/ you can follow the useage /roughly/ by watching the blackening of the ends of the inner tube. Forxample when my eye hortilux bulb goes more than an inch of blackened edges on each side I will replace it. If I could afford a lumen/output reader I d grab one but luckily for me this has worked, and when just flowering its a every 5-6 months I gotta change it. I may be in for a rude awakening once I go digital equipment tho, im still old school sun systems econo grows lol mag ballasts, 6 inch kooltubes baby! They aint broke so I figured why bother replaceing em yet?

Top Bottom