How to make Absolute Shatter using a Thermos

• Thread starter Pisces
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

juggo

Im getting geared up to try this,the one thing that concerns me is keeping the butane in a liquid form outside when its like 120 degrees,for 30 minutes,and an hour and a half. Do you think the thermos insulation is good enough to keep it liquid,I was thinking about putting the thermos in a cooler of ice.If the butane evaporated before the time was up that would be a mess,requiring more solvent. Thanks!

peace,
juggo

Pisces

Pisces

Hey, good morning juggo….

I live in a Desert where it reaches extreme temps too ...and so to answer your Q, the short answer is yes, it'll be fine.

Just be sure to leave it in a shaded area where the sun isn't beating directly on it.

The thing to remember is that we are only freezing the butane & thermos so that the butane collects into a pool more quicker.

It will NOT evaporate inside the thermos so long as you throw a hand towel or something else over the cap with holes to keep it from evaporating.

Again, I have been making it this way Weekly for a while now, and that includes these hot summer months.

You could keep it in a cooler of ice if you wish……. but it is honestly not necessary.

J

juggo

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I don't remember reading about the frozen thermos,but that seems like a great idea,duh..lol. Do you think there is a difference in yield with the thermos method verses the open blast method? I know you said it should pull less fats,lipids and waxes,just curious about overall yield.I watched a few videos of people making erl basically like your method,only they were using large mason jars with 5 holes drilled on the lid, 4 for ventilation,1 to fill the jar with tane.Their presentation of the jar method left tons of questions and seemed really unsafe.Its amazing and scary all the dangerous bho videos floating around.Thanks again for sharing your tech!

peace,
juggo

Pisces

Pisces

Hi juggo, yes, it is important that the thermos with the ground up herb inside is capped with the original plastic stopper.

And then placed into the freezer for at least four hours along with the butane before blasting.

This will allow not only the butane to cool but also the thermos so that (once again) the butane stays cool while blasting

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

This really stepped things up for me. A LOT! Thank you @Pisces . Time to get rid of these tubes!

Pisces

Pisces

That is Awesome to hear!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience after trying out this method @CelticEBE……

I am looking into getting a better chamber ATM….. which kind do you use Celtic?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

That is Awesome to hear!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience after trying out this method @CelticEBE……

I am looking into getting a better chamber ATM….. which kind do you use Celtic?
Not sure, I will have to check with my buddy who I got it from. Get back to you on that.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Very cool thread thanks for such a detailed explanation , gonna start gathering up the supplies today as shatter is not the easiest to come by around here and if you do find any it's poor quality .
Appreciate the detail and knowledge @Pisces

Pisces

Pisces

Your Welcome @soserthc1.

If you have any questions at all, just be sure to ask them here.

I log in here at least twice a day so I'll be sure to answer anything you need me to.

It Really is a simple process once you get it dialed.

Even tho it takes a couple of days to make, i'm really only doing about an hour worth of work.

Most of it is just waiting for things to happen.

INbreed312

INbreed312

I've been making extract since 09 regularly and yes a soak opposed to closed pressure blast gets a nice product, but pressure helps pull flavor from deeper in the plant, not just surface thc CBD etc. either way, winterization is an absolute must (no pun intended) MUST! Here is what I am making today. A pic of the product getting its sun bath on as well as the crap removed from with winterizing. Don't forget your sun purge! 12.5 GM garbage from 2 cups of alcohol with 55 grams of extract going in. All ground nug source. ImageImageImage

Pisces

Pisces

Looks too waxy imvho….. is that from over purging, too high/low of heat?

20kwDreamer

20kwDreamer

Dabbing/vaping has been nice the few times i've done it. Still prefer flowers/hash. How much of that final product is just meds? That 'smokers cough' Cap was mentioning has happened to me, scares me.

Pisces

Pisces

The papers is the waste ;)

I was talking about the 1st pic.

Sorry, but imo, i find crumble to be an inferior end result then translucent or see through shatter!

@20kw, been vaping ABSOLUTELY nothing but ABSOLUTE daily for well over two years straight and have an ABSOLUTE clean bill of health. :)

INbreed312

INbreed312

It's not crumble. It is a paper thin layer that scrapes up as impeccable shadder. Come dab a shard and hit the moon ;)
Clean as can be, just ask Addy

Pisces

Pisces

Oh ok, looked like that first pic was all Wax.
Sorry for the confusion my friend…. looks really good man.

I'd be happy to Vape some of that…..

I just got done making another batch of ChocoD today.
Turned out really nice & smooth.

I honestly CANT WAIT until I can make some more shatter with the White tho!
Only another month until harvest.:)

K

KushNDabs

I've been making extract since 09 regularly and yes a soak opposed to closed pressure blast gets a nice product, but pressure helps pull flavor from deeper in the plant, not just surface thc CBD etc. either way, winterization is an absolute must (no pun intended) MUST! Here is what I am making today. A pic of the product getting its sun bath on as well as the crap removed from with winterizing. Don't forget your sun purge! 12.5 GM garbage from 2 cups of alcohol with 55 grams of extract going in. All ground nug source. View attachment 436960View attachment 436962View attachment 436965

How do you sun purge it? I did it once, and I found a fly stuck in my dabs, so I discontinued the sun purge lol.

INbreed312

INbreed312

How do you sun purge it? I did it once, and I found a fly stuck in my dabs, so I discontinued the sun purge lol.
I've also put it out long enough to purge the liquids, then flip over the Pyrex on top of parchment (to keep debris out) and let the purge happen on the glass side. Gets the product dry and purged much quicker and more evenly IMHO

Top Bottom