How To Not Make a Million Dollars in the Weed Business

• Thread starter SoCoMMJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

treehugger

Just a few observations...

95% of ALL small business's fail in the first five years, we aren't any different.

Legalization is coming, medical will go to the pharmacy's in one form or another (expensive), walmart will sell generic six-pack pre-rolls in some form of equivalency to alcohol and tobacco ($18?), and potshops will carry strains and concentrates comparable in price and rarity to current wine purveyors.

Other than farmers, and teenagers with a few backyard plants, most of us will not be able to compete with industrial production - this life, these forums, all will fade...

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Its the American public that supports walmart. Its not the evil corporation who makes you shop there, its the uneducated public who wants to save five cents by buying an inferior imported product.

I agree wholeheartedly just remember its that same american public that shops at MMC's too!

We are talking about a pretty specialized product here.
Its no different then the choice of buying coors or something from new Belgium.

Love me some new belgium,Fat tires in the fridge now!But coors could own their ass in an instant if they so desired.

When growing a plant such as a cannabis too there is no guarantee on production. Big Pharma could set up shop, but what happens when they get grey mold all over their crop? And need to salvage 2 tons of finished product. Its not like they can rely on outside vendors in this state.

Its not like they will go broke either,unlike you and i they can absorb the loss no problem,hell its a write off!

and just for reference walmart only has like a 9% market share
and anyway a lot of this talk is about retail business anyway.

only a 9% market share?That sucks the owners must be going broke,poor walton's...

Do you want to own a shoe store? or a 711? any store in the mall?
Id rather just hit the lotto and burn hooters all the time truth be told.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I think there have been a lot of things overlooked by a lot of people in this thread. First and foremost is the idea that all MMJ dispensaries are only selling flowers. The most successful and profitable dispensaries are selling edibles, drinks, and most importantly clones. So if you are running a dispensary and only selling flowers and hash, you are bound to fail.

Clones are a huge money maker, especially if you can produce your own. Keeping a single mother plant is rather inexpensive, and taking clones from that mother even less expensive. It may only cost a few dollars in equipment and time (this being the more costly) to make a viable clone that can then be sold for an easy $15 - $20. The profit margin there is huge and can keep a business or grow going. From what I have been able to gather it is those who distribute genetics (either in clone or seed) who will survive in an expanding marketplace or impending legalization. This follows a simple rule in business, keep the overhead low (one plant can create hundreds of clones or thousands of seeds) and the output high.

Edibles and other forms of ingesting MMJ can also be places where dispensaries can make up some profits. While the mark-up may not be as high as with seeds or clones it is probably going to be higher than the mark up on flowers. While a home made brownie may not command a lot of money more novel foods like sodas or lollipops may be able to have a slightly higher mark-up.

Also having other products in the dispensary that are not MMJ can help. If you are selling clones offer supplies to grow those clones. The convenience of having everything in one place may make it more likely that patients who are only growing a few plants will by from you rather than making another stop at the grow store to pay a dollar or two less for the same product. This can be another place for dispensary owners to make a few bucks to cover business expenses.

The illegal market is also making it much harder for legitimate MMJ dispensaries to operate and make a profit. There is very little overhead for the illegal dealer, no rent, no electricity, no staff, no taxes, all make it easy for them to offer a low mark-up and still see a profit. This is not a luxury that legitimate dispensaries can afford. So when your average street dealer asks $60 for an eighth of mediocre quality it forces the dispensaries to offer the same price on eighths of the same or better quality. While it seems that having a convenient place to acquire ones meds would make people pay just a bit more for their MMJ the opposite seems to be true. Who complains to their street dealer about price? Not that many people. But as soon as you are running a legitimate dispensary people grow a pair and start bitching left and right about the price of their meds. This makes the dispensary owners drive their prices down (and ultimately the profits) to stay competitive in the market and keep patients in their shop rather than them going down the street to the next dispensary.

There are a lot of ideas that can help keep an MMJ business afloat, these are just a few. Ultimately it comes down to business plan, a good one will succeed and a poor one will fail. I have personally experienced what the SoCal dispensaries have to offer and seen which ones are the most successful. The best ones have incorporated each of these ideas in some capacity. So while it is incredibly hard to start a successful MMJ business in SoCal, and increasingly so in other places as well, it is possible.

On a bit of a side note, caregiverken, I think you highly underestimate how much of a mark up you are paying on everyday items. Places like Wal-mart, K-mart and even your grocery store have huge mark-ups on the products they sell. It may not seem like there is that much of a mark-up on a $10 t-shirt but it is probably marked up almost 100%. The lower the price you pay the more likely it has a high mark-up. I have friends who own a head shop and everything in there is marked up 50-100%, they are making significantly less than other businesses around them and are still doing pretty well; not BMW driving well but good enough. So next time you think that your MJ is being marked up too much think about what the mark-up on the rest of the stuff you buy really is.

green punk

green punk

There has been for the last 20 years a Walmart of Weed. Its called BC. To a lessor extent a HomeDepot of weed Northern Cali. And before that and to some extent in the 90's early 00's the sexy mexy.

In the mid 90's you could find beasters in FL, or in Costa Rica( no shit)

The Ogden Memo brought the prospectors who had never even scrapped a pair of scissors. Let alone transplanted 200 cuttings or changed out 600 gallons of nutes, in one night because of their day job, I could go on and on.

I think a relatively decent grow after all equipment is paid off and not part of the overhead can produce a lb for about (nutes space, labor, electric) $150, then figure another $250 to trim it.

It seems many had no idea what they were getting into, business wise, or the simple fact that you are dealing with living things that can get sick, pests, and die with out any real reason.

Dorje

Dorje

I think there have been a lot of things overlooked by a lot of people in this thread. First and foremost is the idea that all MMJ dispensaries are only selling flowers. The most successful and profitable dispensaries are selling edibles, drinks, and most importantly clones. So if you are running a dispensary and only selling flowers and hash, you are bound to fail.

IDK WTF you are talking about... there's still a huge profit margin to be made growing weed. As I pointed out, it might cost around $500-600 to grow a lb of weed including all overhead, labor and trimming. Then, even if it's sold for $150/oz, that's $2400/lb. So dispensaries are selling for a 3-400% profit margin and STILL can't stay in business? That just goes to show that a huge percentage of dispensary owners are horrible business people. I've read a few business plans and I'd expect more from a grade-school project.

And as I said, those who can't achieve a high enough economy of scale and can't figure out how to grow weed without buying $100 gallons of chemicals are just going to fail.

This is pretty much the same with ANY business... there's always going to be a minimum economy of scale that needs to be reached for a business to be successful. There are many businesses that require a much larger investment and a huge economy of scale to be profitable vs. mmj, IMO if you can grow good weed and STILL can't make your disp. profitable you need to hire someone to help you with that. If you can't grow good weed than good riddance.

Dorje

Dorje

I think a relatively decent grow after all equipment is paid off and not part of the overhead can produce a lb for about (nutes space, labor, electric) $150, then figure another $250 to trim it.

It seems many had no idea what they were getting into, business wise, or the simple fact that you are dealing with living things that can get sick, pests, and die with out any real reason.

Exactly. Add on another couple hundred per lb for all the stuff you need to satisfy the regulatory requirements, then rent and labor for the dispensary end of things, and there's still 3-400% profit to be made.

Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for disp. owners who can't get their shit together... why did you get in this biz in the 1st place? (I think we all know the answer) So many are both bad business people AND bad growers. Why do they think they would have any luck in a biz that requires both skills? I can see a grower hiring a biz manager, but when a complete idiot can't run either end of the biz, I'm happy to see his dumb ass fail.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
On a bit of a side note, caregiverken, I think you highly underestimate how much of a mark up you are paying on everyday items. Places like Wal-mart, K-mart and even your grocery store have huge mark-ups on the products they sell. It may not seem like there is that much of a mark-up on a $10 t-shirt but it is probably marked up almost 100%. The lower the price you pay the more likely it has a high mark-up. I have friends who own a head shop and everything in there is marked up 50-100%, they are making significantly less than other businesses around them and are still doing pretty well; not BMW driving well but good enough. So next time you think that your MJ is being marked up too much think about what the mark-up on the rest of the stuff you buy really is.

Your right about the clones...and your right.
I have no idea how much stuff is marked up. I know nothing about running a bizz.

I probably don't belong in this thread at all...but I had to trow in my 2cents

IMHO.
Cannabis Goodies could and maybe should be sold Farmers Market style Just like fruits and veggies. :)

maybe some day

:animbong:

Dorje

Dorje

Cannabis Goodies could and maybe should be sold Farmers Market style Just like fruits and veggies. :)

maybe some day

That's kind of what Harborside does... and they still mark up their meds well over 100%. They buy for $3k/lb and sell for $60/eighth, which is $7680/lb. You can get good stuff at farmers markets but you generally pay as much as anywhere else.

green punk

green punk

And if they(Harborside ) are paying that joker 4000 per... I said it in the Weed Wars thread "they would be overwhelmed around here". And that joker is also barely getting by. He was in real estate before becoming a farmer. Another prospector. At least he was doing it him self, I guess.

Sorry. But if you don't even have any experience with plants especially a vegetable garden you really have no business trying to operate a business growing/distributing the most valuable plant on the planet.

Illmind

Illmind

how u know how good dude on weed wars was? he wasnt a vet but to be one of few getting 4k a p is sayin something. and if he isnt overwhelmed in oaksterdam aka oakland then y would he have a prob anywhere else? me personally even if i have 2 ps of aaa if i c something i like im still gonna buy it. regardless. i doubt your outdoor flooded market with 1500$ ps would matter doesnt matter to me. hard finding actual top shelf when u do i suggest u buy it. oh and his shit was 100% organic lab tested and certified chron. what u got? beasters someone told u was Chemdog?

green punk

green punk

What ever man. Ive been at this well before there was a murmur of the name chem-anything or diesel this/that. Try land race strains with no name being inbred outdoors for speed, potency, and yield then flavor and aroma on the back burner. Putting out so much that the the weak shit got left standing for the hunters etc to find.

Then using 1kw shop lights with home made sheet metal reflectors and the nearest indoor shop if any 1000 miles away.

P

PoopyCoopy

christ so if u shop at walmart your uneducated? cmon that makes u look uneducated. smart ppl balance their books and save all they can. dumbasses go pay 20$ more for something because they believe they are supporting a cause lol. thats real. ever notice the hardcore buy american crowd are dumb rednecks? not all rednecks are dumb now just most of em.

Depends on what your buying. But the public who thinks walmart destroyed main st, its because they all went and shopped at walmart not on main st. If the big corporations come into the game, and everyone chooses to shop there and not their local corner store. Then it will happen in here too.
And if you ask me it comes down to service , and you just don't get that on the large scale with this plant.

If you want to talk about lean manufacturing and Just-In-Time principles, then look at what harborside does. They lean on their vendors and then turn around and make a large profit margin on that product. Or they make a bit less but turn over more volume so at the end of the day they are making more. Now they are more strictly a retail operation. Buy and sell type of deal. The market in Colorado due to regulations forces a lot more control on the dispensary. It makes it a completely different business here.

G

gettogro

don't see why anyone would want to own a dispensary. You r still a drug dealer in the fed's eyes. Growing way over the 100 plant mandatory jail sentence. If you r a good grower you can easily pull 100+ p's out of a 24 x 24 garage every year with the 36 plant caregiver guide lines. Working under the guise of a caregiver/drug dealer seems the way to go. I understand the value of saying that you own a MMC and are jumping through all the hoops to be a semi legitimate business, but what the hell for? I would rather work a few hours a day and snowboard than try to jump through all those hoops. I couldn't get a job at or own a MMC, as I am a convicted felon drug dealer anyways.
If someone under the guise of care giver could grow 100+p's a year it would take only 5 years to stack a million.

So, I totally agree with the title of this thread. Owning a MMC is defiantly not the way to stack a million.

How to stack a million..
house lease 36k
electric 15k
nutes co2 random 12k
living expenses 37k

100p's @ 3k - 100k= 200k a year x 5 years= 1mm

I forget who said it here before but it seems relevant
"get out of the business and back in the game"

BTW, i wish I knew where to get aaa's for 2200 I would take them all..

true grit

true grit

I honestly still think it could be profitable. IMO it takes the right management team and work group to do it though. Not everyone is motivated enough to be creative when it comes to making money, providing top shelf and not being afraid to charge for it, and running operations efficiently. Growers really on point can walk into almost any grow op and see how inefficient things are...and even seeing nice ops with money spent, i can show ya where money was definitely wasted. Some growers are pushing the limits of growing dank and producing concentrates...and most of them won't touch an MMC. Now with the right combo of management and those growers giving it a go, i do think it could be profitable. But you better believe i would be shooting for a boutique shop with higher prices than everyone else... smaller grow, less overhead, better quality and TRY to keep up with a small clientele. When it only takes a handful of dedicated friends/fam to run a biz, grow op, trim then theres less work and trouble all around. I wouldnt wanna be the chicken with the head cut off crazy harborside madness, id prefer to be the little Gucci/LV (insert whatever fancy trendy pricey niche) store where ya gotta pay to play. Like Baba said quality speaks bounds and makes money, i just don't see it going that way out here or folks get in over their head trying to go too big too fast.

But i don't like paperwork and that bs...so what would i know. hehe.:bong2:

I do also think whoever said concentrates and alternative forms are a big plus was spot on. Industry is changing, folks love dank but smokin that erl and eating concentrates from danks seems to be the shit these days so i could see how flower prices have been affected.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
IMHO.

maybe some day

That's kind of what Harborside does... and they still mark up their meds well over 100%. They buy for $3k/lb and sell for $60/eighth, which is $7680/lb. You can get good stuff at farmers markets but you generally pay as much as anywhere else.

The huge difference being....NO Middleman
The farmer could sell a little bit cheaper and still get way more $ for his hard work.

Harborside rakes in the cash...

So, if a place like Harborside were to hire farmers to Grow for them.
and
still charge the same amount for the flowers.....Cha ching!!

AND if they Made their Own Concentrates and edibles In stead of getting those from venders and marking them up over 100%......

uhh..

I don't get what this thread is about anymore...
icon11.gif

D

DoobyScoo

This is about feeling sorry for all the dispensary owners that didn't make a million dollars after they threw everybody else under the bus in the name of profit.

Got the world's smallest violin playing in the background.

You reap what you sow.

P.S. There would be more love is even half of these dispensaries were growing 1K before the laws and then set up 60K - 200K. Or if even half of them just LIVED in Colorado before June 2009.

S

SoCoMMJ

This is about feeling sorry for all the dispensary owners that didn't make a million dollars after they threw everybody else under the bus in the name of profit.

Not really, but thanks for your opinion.

J-fly

J-fly

I may not make a million dollars, but at least I get to snowboard everyday and smoke as much earwax as i want.

D

DreamChaser

^^^ mmmm Loves me some earwax too! Is there a twelve step program in Co for hash oil?

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Greed Greed Greed....If I can sell a little here and there to cover costs and provide for myself, as well as a couple extra bucks for my pocket, a couple hundred a week I could not be happier. Even if the price dips to 100 a zip after legalization just step up the game grow more quality, dont count on getting rich, and things will be fine....

Top Bottom