HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
StealthLED

StealthLED

I'm just starting to see some weird colouring on my leafs bit like a deficiency but I turned my boards up to full power 2 days ago so I'm probably giving them too much light now so I need to dial them back abit, my par meter says 1000ppfd which I guess is too much with no co2 being pumped in...

StealthLED

StealthLED

Anyone ever done a slurry test on coco, is it accurate? This slight deficiency seems to be getting a little worse and I've read that a slurry test is better than run off testing? So thought I'd give it a go, done it as it says with ro water and I'm getting a pH of 5.4 and ec0.8

My run off reads ph 5.7 ec 2.0

Input is ph 6.2 and ec 1.7

So which one is accurate lol

I did the test 3 times with the same results

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Anyone ever done a slurry test on coco, is it accurate? This slight deficiency seems to be getting a little worse and I've read that a slurry test is better than run off testing? So thought I'd give it a go, done it as it says with ro water and I'm getting a pH of 5.4 and ec0.8

My run off reads ph 5.7 ec 2.0

Input is ph 6.2 and ec 1.7

So which one is accurate lol

I did the test 3 times with the same results
Go by runoff for coco. It doesn't have the same CEC as soil soil imo a slurry is not all that great except to test the coco initially

StealthLED

StealthLED

Ok mate cheers!
One thing I did notice was a lot of dead roots... when I set the new Nearpow timer up last week I didn't set it to time correctly and the plants wasn't watered for about 18 hours so the coco was very dry, plants wasn't droopy but all the white hair roots sticking out the fabric pots died, I'm thinking maybe to use a enzyme to clear the dead stuff away?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok mate cheers!
One thing I did notice was a lot of dead roots... when I set the new Nearpow timer up last week I didn't set it to time correctly and the plants wasn't watered for about 18 hours so the coco was very dry, plants wasn't droopy but all the white hair roots sticking out the fabric pots died, I'm thinking maybe to use a enzyme to clear the dead stuff away?
I always use enzymes in ever second res

StealthLED

StealthLED

I've been doing some reading into coco and wondering why canna don't do a A&b separate for grow and bloom for Coco. Is it because coco releases K so a bloom feed isn't needed? Then this also got me thinking, my run off ec was always close to input ec right up to week 2 flower when I switched to my bloom nuterients then the run off ec started to climb even though I never increased input ec, could this be the K being released from the coco and the extra K in my bloom feed compared to the grow feed? Is this why canna only have one A&B and say feed pk at week 5?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've been doing some reading into coco and wondering why canna don't do a A&b separate for grow and bloom for Coco. Is it because coco releases K so a bloom feed isn't needed? Then this also got me thinking, my run off ec was always close to input ec right up to week 2 flower when I switched to my bloom nuterients then the run off ec started to climb even though I never increased input ec, could this be the K being released from the coco and the extra K in my bloom feed compared to the grow feed? Is this why canna only have one A&B and say feed pk at week 5?
That's something I can't say for sure... but possible? I'm not sure.

StealthLED

StealthLED

I don't know much about npk ratios but canna A is 4-0-0 and B is 1-4-2 so do you add these together to give 5-4-2?

My veg nutes are 3.4-1.9-3.4

My flower nutes are 4.1-2.5-3.8

So my flower nutes are nearly twice the K to what canna's is.

If I had the room I'd be interested to do a side by side on my next cycle with canna and the nutes im using to see if the ec runoff increase happens at the same time in flower again

StealthLED

StealthLED

Just thought I'd share this in here, I've been getting crazy high ec runoff levels so then I have to flush loads to bring the ec levels down, but then on the next feed the ec shot up again even though the coco was still moist. I ended up buying a bluelab pulse and testing the coco ec which reads lower than what I'm feeding (this is 1 hour after a feed) I know it's calibrated right because the solution ec is read right from it. I'm not sure if the fabric pots are catching salts in the bottom like a filter and this is giving the high ec runoff but I'll be ignoring runoff from now on, its been driving me crazy chashing these ec levels...

(Input was 1.7ec at 6pm)

Screenshot 20210115 215936 combluelabgaea
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just thought I'd share this in here, I've been getting crazy high ec runoff levels so then I have to flush loads to bring the ec levels down, but then on the next feed the ec shot up again even though the coco was still moist. I ended up buying a bluelab pulse and testing the coco ec which reads lower than what I'm feeding (this is 1 hour after a feed) I know it's calibrated right because the solution ec is read right from it. I'm not sure if the fabric pots are catching salts in the bottom like a filter and this is giving the high ec runoff but I'll be ignoring runoff from now on, its been driving me crazy chashing these ec levels...

(Input was 1.7ec at 6pm)
Absolutely could be a buildup from previous feeds on the fabric. I never considered that part of it but that should not happen if feeding high frequency with runoff from the start. The other thing is read the plants... tbh I stopped checking runoff after a while. I just found I had no need because my numbers where always so good. As long as I kept getting the right amount of runoff and adjust feed frequency instead of volume I never seen an issue.

Now I have had 2 major events of almost killing my plants by not checking them and fucking up my timer. I have not check runoff since but did flush a couple days in a row the pot volume of nutrient solution at my normal feed.

I also run enzymes in every second res. I haven't tried recharge but its something I would say is a good option based on other experiences to run periodically if you have run into issues of a nutrient buildup.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
If you are in coco. You always need to ph and temp adjust. If you flush with water you always need to run a volume equal to the pot size of nutrient solution after or you will see they will go from over fed to deficiency issues... not uncommon to see this when ppl flush for that reason.
Sorry, I don't understand. You said I need to flush before every feed or else I will get nutrient build up so is it necessary to pH the flush water even though I'm going to water afterwards.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry, I don't understand. You said I need to flush before every feed or else I will get nutrient build up so is it necessary to pH the flush water even though I'm going to water afterwards.
No you don't flush every feed... you feed everytime with runoff. That will flush some of the old nutes out with it. But you always water with nutrients in coco if using synthetic nutrients. Organic is a different ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom